This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitchy Lady is Too Good for My Wares

So, bitchy lady came into our new/used sporting good store today, kind of set the mood for my shift. She was looking at our baseball catcher helmets and picked out a Champro. Champro is a bottom of the barrel, starter, need a cheap helmet brand - it's not made with super fancy padding or sweat wicking or anything.

She brings the helmet up and says:

BL = Bitchy Lady
    Me =
    CW =

BL: Is this helmet new?
    CW: Yes! In fact our inventory is relatively 80% new, 20% used.
    BL: Ah. It doesn't look new.
    CW: It is, it's a brand new champro helmet - still has the tags on it.
    BL: Yeah but it doesn't LOOK new. I mean, there's this little scuff on the outside and the padding looks not new.
    *We both look at the helmet - it smells like factory foam and has only scuffs from shipping*
    Me: It's brand new, I assure you, sometimes things get a small scuff. It's a catcher's helmet, it's made to withstand high speed pitches.

BL: Fine. Whatever. Do you have female lacrosse equpiment?
    Me: -female lacrosse spiel, what do you need etc-
    BL: Well I have a girl who doesn't play and wants to play with her sister. Do you have anything used (all said with a sneer)?
    Me: Why yes I do, I have this used stick in fact - it's a used starter stick for real game play. It's $19.99 used, you won't find one cheaper than that unless it's a toy.
    BL: Ugh, well I mean it's used. How much was it new?
    Me: Judging by the shaft and head, probably 25-30
    BL: No! No that wont' do at all! I won't pay 20 for a used item that's only been discounted such a small amount! It won't do!
    Me:
    BL then looks at a brand new pink stick that someone put on the used rack. It's $79.99 still has the cardboard packaging around the bottom of the shaft.
    BL: This one's new but it doesn't LOOK new (Here we go again)

She then proceeded to not believe me that things don't come completely bubble wrapped from the factor, that a small scuff on a lacrosse stick means it should be discounted %20 (Hey clue by 4, it's lacrosse it's gonna look way worse than that after 2 uses)

Just...whatever. I can't accurately type her tone. It had this shrill, motherly sort of "What did you do to my car?" feeling. She stared at me and sneered every time, acted like I was beneath her from the start. Didn't acknowledge my "Hi how are you?"

Just blah

Obviously has no idea what the stuff is going to look like after it's used. But I guess for her, the whole point of playing a sport is to show up with the shiniest equipment!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That woman would have a fit at my favorite hobby shop. They sell quite a bit of long-out-of-production model kits, used locomotives, and other items they've bought up from various collections over the years. Most of the items are usually in very good condition...but some of the packaging sometimes suffers while in storage. It's not uncommon for cardboard model boxes to fade and fall apart from moisture. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the items...and they've (usually) been heavily discounted.

With all that said, I'm sure she'd be trying to get a bigger discount if the boxes aren't in perfect shape, or if the plastic wrap is a bit torn. At least the owner is happy to tell her to "get bent," and I usually have all that stuff all to myself
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sounds like the people at my store who demand a discount because a box is dusty. Or the box will be a little banged up and they want a discount because "it's a gift". Well last time I checked the box gets thrown away anyway...
        Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

Comment

I had a lady who was pissed because the fabric was wrinkled. It was the last 2 yards of a bold of muslin, $1.49/yard. She was already getting an end of bolt discount but wanted to know why I couldn't give her another one because it was wrinkled. Lady, it's cotton muslin. You're cutting it into squares for a kids art project. Get over it!
          "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Quoth SuperRTL View Post
            I had a lady who was pissed because the fabric was wrinkled. It was the last 2 yards of a bold of muslin, $1.49/yard. She was already getting an end of bolt discount but wanted to know why I couldn't give her another one because it was wrinkled. Lady, it's cotton muslin. You're cutting it into squares for a kids art project. Get over it!
            I... I don't even....

Btw, I incorrectly estimated, the stick was actually 40 brand new - it had a new head put on it and we felt like selling it for a good deal. Her loss.

Comment

Quoth SuperRTL View Post
              "Lady, that's why they invented irons."
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

A discount for wrinkled fabric?

Buh....whah...

*brain reboot*
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Working...
                X