Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This week in suckitude.(some language, sorry)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This week in suckitude.(some language, sorry)

yet another wonderful week at "Anthracite's."

I work in ad set. which means i work with signs. I'm the nice person who makes sure the sign has the right price.
    SC the first* today was a power hour sale, which means at a certain time, certain products go an extra 10 percent lower. i had to flip all the signs for it.

SC: OMG DID YOU JUST CHANGE THE PRICE ON THIS?
    me: Yes ma'am, its a power hour item.
    SC: *Runs around like an idiot grabbing random stuff**
    SC: IS THIS A POWER HOUR TOO? HOW BOUT THIS?????
    Me: If its not on a rack with a orange and red sign on it, its not power hour.
    SC" WHYYYYYY? I LIKE THIS ONE BETTTTEEERRRRRRR!
    its not. a fucking. POWER . HOUR. it is REGULAR PRICED. gah.

SC The second: I got to run a register. i almost never do this.
    SC: *has two pair of vera wang pants. one is silk cargo crops, the other is denim jeans. the jeans are clearances at 8 dollars. the silk pants came off this mornings truck and are 30 dollars.*
    SC: These pants are identical. i want the silk ones for the cheaper price. you will do this.
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't do that. The silk ones came off this morning's truck, and the jeans have been here over a month. I can't give you a clearance price for a non clearance item, esp since the items are nowhere near the same.
    SC: WTF? THEY ARE TOO THE SAME! I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A YES YOU CAN ATTITUDE? HMM? the CUSTOMER. IS > ALWAYS RIGHT! *Glares*
    me: Sorry. can't do it.
    SC> fuck you . just give me the fucking silk ones at normal price. *to husband* They hire such fucking stupid people here. I bet she's retarded.
    *my manager saw the whole thing. and heard all. she thought it was very funny. I did not. I was just diagnosed with a math disability, and had to have courses substituted. i'm pretty self conscious about it, and it took a couple weeks for my parents to convince me it didn't mean i was mentally ill, just unequipped. the manager knows about this, so she knows how being called "retarded" which is a awful term anyway, would effect me. it hurt. deep.

le sucky customer number three. When I do ad set, i have a scanner. it gives me the percentage off, but not the price, and the percentage is for the next days sale, not the current sale.
    SC: *shoves dress at me* HERE! SCAN!
    me: i beg your pardon?
    SC: SCAN ITTT! I WANT THE PRRRIIIIIICE!
    me" *looks at tag* ma'am, its clearance, its priced as marked.
    SC* NO THERE IS MORE OFF!

my scanner doesn't read clearance, it just says clearance, so scanning it would do no good.

Me: my machine doesn't read clearance, but you are welcome to go to customer service right behind you and they will double check the price.
    SC: I asked YOU to do it. so do it. just scan it!
    me: ma'am... As i told you, my scanner won't scan clearance. this is clearance. *scanned, showed her screen*
    SC" you brought that screen up on purpose. you just don't want to help me. YOU SUCK!
    me(to myself very quietly, "no bitch, YOU suck. may you gain so much weight that you never wear that dress size again."

sorry. i had to vent. this week sucked. I told my manager that i was really uncomfortable around my supervisor, who is a much older guy, ("i'm a girl, early 20's) because of his sexist comments and the fact that he has a history of sexual harassment. She laughed at me and said i was funny. i'm avoiding the supervisor.

On the bright side, I know this time around where you are talking about, and I hope it makes you feel better to know that there are 2 shoppers in my neck of the woods that are wonderful to wait on I like to shop at Anthracites every once in a while
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm sorry.. *hugs* Don't let them get to you! They are the stupid ones! Either no one taught them manners or they were too stupid to learn them and apply them to real life situations. And that alone makes them a lot dumber than anyone with any disability.

Comment

Quoth iloveasunflower13 View Post
        I told my manager that i was really uncomfortable around my supervisor, who is a much older guy, ("i'm a girl, early 20's) because of his sexist comments and the fact that he has a history of sexual harassment. She laughed at me and said i was funny. i'm avoiding the supervisor.
        Is there anyone else you can talk to about the supervisor? Don't just let it go. It will get worse. By the way, is his name Ron or Randy, lol. I had two managers that pulled that crap on me. Ron came up behind me while I was bent over the layaway printer trying to get the paper unstuck and poked me in the back with a curtain rod. It scared me and I tried to laugh it off and said don't do that, you almost gave me a heart attack. He gave me his skeezy grin and said, I would have poked you with something else but I am married and you have a boyfriend and we would get in trouble Did I mention I was 19 and he was well into his 50's? When I told on him to the main manager he told them I was just trying to get him in trouble because he told me to stop talking and do my job earlier that day. And I got in trouble for talking to another employee while on the clock even though I wasn't Needless to say I told them where they could stick their job.

Then there was Randy and boy did he fit his name. He was a super perv. I was pregnant at the time and took his comments in stride because I knew no one else would hire me while I was pregnant knowing I was about to have a baby and leave. The last straw with him was when he told another cashier to watch my register and told me to come out to his car and see what he got his girlfriend for Valentines day and see if I thought she would like it since I was about her age. Again, I was 21 and he was maybe around 40. With a 20 year old girlfriend. I was like, uh, OK. An excuse to get away from the register, lol. I went to his car and he pulled out a HUGE vibrator with all these attachments. He was all like, hey look what this one does, and showed me what they did. Then he told me to feel how realistic it was When he asked me if I wanted to try it out and see if I thought she would like it, yeah that was it for me. I went into the store, called my husband, and told him come get me NOW!!! The main manager there also thought it was funny and said I shouldn't have went to his car, I knew how he was.

Neither of these guys got in trouble even though I reported them. If I would not have been young and stupid I would have taken it higher up until something was done. From what I hear though Ron did something to a newly hired 16 year old and her daddy took it higher and finally got him fired.

Comment

Sorry you had so many SCs. They suck.

I told my manager that i was really uncomfortable around my supervisor, who is a much older guy, ("i'm a girl, early 20's) because of his sexist comments and the fact that he has a history of sexual harassment. She laughed at me and said i was funny. i'm avoiding the supervisor.
          If your supervisor is that bad, and you manager won't do anything, keep climbing. Go to HR.

As an MOD, if someone comes to me and comments that sexual harassment may be going on, even if I think they're overreacting, even if they don't want to file a complaint, I have to go to HR. That's it. It's out of my hands. If I become aware of it, I have to send it up the chain or it's my ass on the line. I can't believe your manager was so dismissive!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

It's the manager's JOB to take things like this seriously. Go as high up the food chain as you need to until it stops -- or it never will. You're probably not the only person he's pulled this crap with, either.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Lawyers also help. Should a manager turn a deaf ear to sexual harassment complaints, lawyers will turn a listening one.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

SC> *to husband* They hire such fucking stupid people here. I bet she's retarded.
                As the father of a child with a disability, that comment made my blood boil. She is fortunate I was not standing behind her when she said that.

And if your manager thought it was "funny" for anyone to be called retarded - and especially if she knew how it affects you personally - then she is an ass.

Coupling that with the supervisor comments, I think you have a strong case for a hostile work environment.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                  As the father of a child with a disability, that comment made my blood boil. She is fortunate I was not standing behind her when she said that.

And if your manager thought it was "funny" for anyone to be called retarded - and especially if she knew how it affects you personally - then she is an ass.

Coupling that with the supervisor comments, I think you have a strong case for a hostile work environment.
                  I've got ADHD myself (not sure exactly what it is classed as) and comments like that make my blood boil too. Not sure what I would about the customer (if i was the employee, Id have done what the OP did, report it. if i was a fellow customer, however... As for the supervisor, report to manager. when manager dismissed, it would depend on the availability of the manager's superiors. if the manager's boss was present at the store, a quiet word. otherwise, HR, mentioning everything, including that you took offense tot he supervisor's and managers comments due to them knowing of your disability. if THEY don't do anything, then consult a lawyer.

Comment

I just have to say I love "Anthracite's" as the store name substitute.

And I'm sorry about your stupid manager.
                    Last edited by Lachrymose; 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                      I've got ADHD myself (not sure exactly what it is classed as) and comments like that make my blood boil too.
                      Urgh, I have PTSD which is considered an anxiety disorder. A lot of the times it's disruptive to my concentration (counting change etc) depending on what's going on in the warzone that is my head.

Unfortunately, it also has the effect of making me lose part of my brain-to-mouth filter so I would've told that customer where she could stick her silk pants... In a very strange, eerily calm sort of reasonable eye of the hurricane way. I mean not that I don't have self control, I do, but my anger / temper surges like an overload of electricity - and I do not play power games.

Comment

I agree with South Texan. Your store most likely has a policy against sexual harrassment, and your manager laughing it off goes directly against that policy. You might want to see if they have anything in writing that you can refer to.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                        X