This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Remember Why I Dislike Closing

Well if you don't know, I work in the Grocery department of a grocery store. Normally I work mostly mornings but our closing guy for Wednesday was sick so I agreed to take on his shift in addition to my own(hooray 13 hour work day!).

There is only one person for our department after 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so I was responsible for filling all shelves and displays, unloading the truck when it came in, as well as answering all calls. Let the night begin!

1. The first hour goes well enough when a lovely old dear walks up to me and asks where stool softener is located. I can tell that a simple explanation will not be enough in this case so I walk there with her. Upon reaching the aisle, she flips, screaming:
    SC: "NO! I said STOOL SOFTENER! S-T-O-O-L!"
    Me: "Ummm...it's right here ma'am."
    SC: "Does it say stool softener on it?"
    Me" Yes......it does"
    SC: "Thank you sooo much!"

2. This next gentlemen was quite aggressive towards me, he was quite upset that he had been unable to find help earlier. He was looking for a cooler, which is the General Merchandise department's area of expertise, but I knew where they were located. I showed him our selection(all of two coolers).
    SC: "You have to have more then this!"
    Me: "I'm sorry, that's all we get, we only carry them in the summer so we don't want to have too many extras to store at the end of the season"
    SC: "No, there are more around here somewhere! Where are they?"
    Me: "Sir, I assure you, this is it"
    SC: "I'm going upfront and reporting you for being deliberately unhelpful!"

He did in fact, report me. Unfortunately our dumbest manager was working that night and lectured me about working harder to satisfy our customer's wishes. I told my boss about that the next day and he chewed her out pretty bad over lecturing me though.

3. The service desk calls and tells me that the truck has arrived and is waiting in the back. We are required to drop everything and unload them as quickly as possible to save the company money(the less time the drivers are out, the less they have to be paid). I am almost to the back when a woman shouts me down.

SC: "Hey, do you have some towels or something, one of my kids made a mess."

He had indeed, he had a slushee he had brought in with him that had ended up all over their cart and the floor. She proceeds to watch me run for paper towels and clean up the mess, being helpful enough to point out spots I missed. Needless to say I was feeling pretty ticked off and rushed, and then I open up the truck's trailer and SURPRISE! The is a pallet tipped over, making a huge mess. The driver conveniently took about 30 minutes to pee while I picked it all up!

4. This one occurs while I am unloading the truck, after I got the mess cleaned up. I am on a rider forklift, moving the pallets to different areas in the backroom. I sound the horn at all intersections as required. As I reach one, I honk, but still abruptly have to slam on the brakes as a stupid customer jumps out in front of me, waving her arms.
    SC: "EXCUSE ME!!!! Do you have a bathroom back here?!?!?!"
    Me: "The bathrooms are in the front, right corner on the store."
    SC: "I Know but that's sooo far! Isn't there one back here for you guys?"
    Me: "No, sorry, you'll have to go upfront." - this was a lie but fuck her, she should not have gone wandering in the backroom, I could name several coworkers that probably would not have been honking at that time of night and struck her.

5. Last but not least. The Seafood department closes at 8pm. In this state at least, you are required to have a special license to work with the stuff behind that counter, if you do so without the proper training there are stiff fines for you and the store. At about 10pm, I come out of the backroom through the doors located by the Seafood counter. A friendly looking man flags me down.

SC: "Hey! I want some tilapia but there's nobody back there! I've been waiting for like 10 minutes!"
    Me: Oh I'm sorry sir, the Seafood department closes at 8pm see?" I point out sign clearly stating their hours.
    SC: "Oh whoops! Well can you just get it for me? I just want like a pound!"
    Me: "Unfortunately not, people need to be certified to handle raw seafood and I'm not."
    SC: "Aw come'on man, help me out here!"
    Me: "I'm sorry, but I could lose my job or be fined a lot of money, they open again at 8am."
    SC: "This place sucks! I'm never coming back here again! Have a great fucking night asswipe!"

The good thing about working mornings is that even though we still get SCs there are a lot of us around so they are spread out instead of me getting all of them!

Quoth Fish Taco64 View Post
    1. The first hour goes well enough when a lovely old dear walks up to me and asks where stool softener is located. I can tell that a simple explanation will not be enough in this case so I walk there with her. Upon reaching the aisle, she flips, screaming:
    Me" Yes......it does"
    Well, you see, the last time she went looking for it herself, she accidentally bought BRAIN softener...and it worked all too well...she sure doesn't want to make the same mistake again!
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Brain softener?

I need to find the heart hardener. I am far too compassionate.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

4. This one occurs while I am unloading the truck, after I got the mess cleaned up. I am on a rider forklift, moving the pallets to different areas in the backroom. I sound the horn at all intersections as required. As I reach one, I honk, but still abruptly have to slam on the brakes as a stupid customer jumps out in front of me, waving her arms.
        SC: "EXCUSE ME!!!! Do you have a bathroom back here?!?!?!"
        Me: "The bathrooms are in the front, right corner on the store."
        SC: "I Know but that's sooo far! Isn't there one back here for you guys?"
        Me: "No, sorry, you'll have to go upfront." - this was a lie but fuck her, she should not have gone wandering in the backroom, I could name several coworkers that probably would not have been honking at that time of night and struck her.
        And this is why I have no sympathy for any SC who wanders in the back room. They are clueless as to the dangers and normal operations and patterns. When they get hurt on the sales floor it is enough of a paperwork nightmare, but when it involves the back room and possibly a associate it is 10 times worse.

Comment

Me" Yes......it does"
          "I'm sorry ma'am, but I'm not sure this softener will work on the stick up your butt."
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

The fish guy...arrgh..why should he make such a fuss about it? Idiot. It's FISH. It's not that important!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Indeed, and who is cooking fish at 10pm? I mean, could it really not wait until the next morning or was he just too lazy to come back?

Comment

and tilapia to boot? phuhleeze

Comment

He did in fact, report me. Unfortunately our dumbest manager was working that night and lectured me about working harder to satisfy our customer's wishes. I told my boss about that the next day and he chewed her out pretty bad over lecturing me though.
                  And I just would love to know how this manager expected you to provide customer service when the service required was to somehow produce something that was not in the store?

It's not like we have rectally mounted replicator systems. Also known as "pulling it out of our asses".

Kudos for your smarter manager however. That other manager deserved to have a foot broken off in her ass for being that gorram dumb.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

SC: "Hey, do you have some towels or something, one of my kids made a mess."

He had indeed, he had a slushee he had brought in with him that had ended up all over their cart and the floor. She proceeds to watch me run for paper towels and clean up the mess, being helpful enough to point out spots I missed.
                    Personally, I would've handed them the paper towels and kept walking.
                    There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

The problem with that strategy is that it would have most likely ended with her throwing the paper towels in the puddle of slushee syrup and proceeding on her way, trailing more syrup throughout the store.

Comment

I could easily give that old lady a break. When stuff doesn't say what they know, some old people can get like that. At least she was greatful and thanked you.

That rat bastard who told on OP about the cooler and the fish guy are straight up morons. That acted just like whiny kids who couldn't get what they wanted when the shit simply wasn't available.
                        Last edited by Willis; 08-06-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X