This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm more important than those other...people

I won't go into the word-for-word diatribe. I'll just sum up this encounter.

SC made a reservation about a month ago. SC wants first floor. Even though SC made his reservation a month ago, several other guests made their reservations back in March and April, also requesting first floor. So their requests get honored first, and there's nothing left for SC. And we're so full, I don't even have any alternate room types to offer SC. It sucks, but it happens.

SC comes in at 3:30. His room isn't ready yet (because our HK staff has been slower than s*** lately, but that's a CoC thread). He's not happy it's upstairs. I explain that I had nothing left downstairs. I apologize and tell him that his room will be ready by 4:10.

SC: "What, so you knew you would be busy but the rooms aren't ready yet?!?"

I told him they were working on it. I have everyone available working, and some coming in after their school to help out as well. I mean, come on, it's 3:30, some chains don't let you check-in until 4. It's not like it's 7 at night and the room isn't ready yet (which actually happened last night...but that's a CoC thread). Yeah, it sucks, but it's nothing unreasonable.

I give SC the keys, even though the room isn't ready yet, so they can go sit by the pool.

A few minutes later, we get a call from Guest Relations. SC called them complaining about how his room was dirty. I told them that I'd told SC the room wouldn't be ready until 4:10. It was only 3:45.

SC then comes down and demands to know how many people are actually checked in. I tell him we're currently 60% full, but the other rooms are booked with reservations that still need to come in. SC wants to know why their rooms were done first. I didn't argue, but if I did, (1) half of those are stayovers from the previous night, (2) some told us when to expect their arrival, allowing us to plan ahead, and (3) many also had to wait for their rooms as well; they got here first and we cleaned their rooms as soon as we could after they arrived.

SC then said this gem.

SC: "I'm from California. I'm not one of these...these people just coming down across the border, you know?"

No, I don't know. Really, where are you going with this? Californians are more important than Canadians? I don't care where the guest is coming from -- if they made a reservation before you, any requests they made are going to have priority over yours.

Boss Man then came in and explained that, while we do everything we can to honor requests, sometimes we run out of the rooms guests want. SC says he's never staying at our brand again. Boss Man offered SC a refund, but SC said he can't go elsewhere because there's no other place left in town (which is very true...though if he would like to leave the town altogether, I would somehow be quite fine with that).

When I saw SC's reservation coming in, part of me felt bad. Because he did make his reservation a month ahead, and that's usually enough time in most cases. But as soon as I broke the bad news to him, he started treating me like dirt. Suddenly, I don't feel so obligated to bend over backwards for him. I hope he honors his word and doesn't stay at our brand anymore. I'm not going to miss the jacka**.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

What a stuck-up jerk. Honestly, I probably would have asked him, "How is that relevant?" But then I'm sure he would have told me his version of reality, and well, it would go downhill from there.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      SC: "I'm from California. I'm not one of these...these people just coming down across the border, you know?"
      "Oh, you're from California*! I don't know how to break this to you, Sunshine, but lots of guys are from California. It's a pretty common thing, really, doesn't make you special. Your money isn't any more money-er than their money. Honest."

Good times.

*Or Canada, for that matter. Or New York. Or Texas. Or Michigan. Or Germany. Or <fill in the blank>. Whatever justification inadequate people use to make themselves feel like Mommy's Special Boy or Daddy's Perfect Princess.
      I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        Since bhskittykatt is located in the "Home of rain-soaked coffee worshipers" I would venture to say the guy from California had come up from across the border, possibly two borders.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
          "...Your money isn't any more money-er than their money. Honest."
          I like this! I'll have to remember it when someone pulls that better-than-thou crap.

Honestly, all I need from a hotel is a clean and comfortable room where everything works. I like first floor, but I'm not too upset if I have to climb a flight of stairs or take an elevator. Lower your demands, you'll be happier.

If the customer had been physically handicapped and needed the first floor for that reason, I would think he would've said so and the hotel would've given him priority. Last time I checked, being from California didn't qualify.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt
            SC: "I'm from California. I'm not one of these...these people just coming down across the border, you know?

Yes, because, God forbid we people, (Canadians) are generally able to be polite and patient when necessary, and actually understand that hotel employees are people too, trying to do a difficult job under stressful circumstances.

Comment

Wow...if he's that xenophobic about Canadians, I wonder what he thinks of the rest of the planet. Asshat.
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                Since bhskittykatt is located in the "Home of rain-soaked coffee worshipers" I would venture to say the guy from California had come up from across the border, possibly two borders.
                He came up across likely 2 state borders, but he was talking shit about people coming down across a country border.

It's a shame he couldn't just be pitched into the ocean. Him going home increases the odds I might have to deal with him at some point. >_<

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  It's a shame he couldn't just be pitched into the ocean.
                  Hey now, there are laws against dumping toxic waste into the ocean.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X