Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, you have me in check and its my move?... CHECKMATE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, you have me in check and its my move?... CHECKMATE!

Today, I had a SC Family full of EWs too!!! who decided to grace me with their presence. I imagine a busy store with two cashiers and 10 people in line, my coworker has a foreign gentleman with complicated lottery order so she is gonna be out of commission AT least the better part of my next 4-5 customers.

SC - The mother
    SC2 - The daughter
    SC3? - The son, not so much but you will learn.

The SC tosses down a bunch of stuff. Around 10-15 items which is a lot for a C-store order. I ring it all up, give a total

SC2: "SC3, still looking for a jerky"
    SC: "And.... (think it was son) is getting Jerky" (The Display is about 25ft away)
    ME: "Ok I have to scan that."
    Edit: (I forget to mention.) Blank Stare for what I assume is gonna be 30 seconds of Decide and start walking towards me... 1-2minutes pass.
    ME: "Well he will have to bring it over here so I can finish the order and get the line moving"
    SC: "That is rude you CAN'T say that"
    me: "I'm pretty sure I just did because I like to KEEP IT REAL that there are 10 people behind you"
    SC: "They can wait!!! You can't be rude to me"
    Me: "If you want to complain to my boss that is fine but understand this, I really don't care what you think I should do because, YOU don't actually pay me and after tomorrow neither will my boss because I'm quiting"
    ..... Blank stares

me: "SO while it is a horrible attitude and isn't one for customer service because you EXPECT the best, that is why I am quiting because I HATE how people like you treat me for how little I make"
    sc3: arrives with Jerky
    me: scans jerky "Gives total"
    SC: says something else about my attitude
    SC2: (SNIDEEEEEE TONE) "HAVE a nice day!!!"
    me: (I am actually smiling ear to ear) "THANKS!!! YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY TOOOOOO!!!"

They all turn around, and the marine behind them is scowling because HE can't stand people who treat us like crap or waste HIS time because THEY are more important.

Me: "I saw that look, Thank you, I'm pretty sure you watched the whole thing"
    marine: "Some people think they all that matters like we all ain't got shit to do. If you wouldn't have said something to them, I WOULD HAVE!"

And yes, This actually did happen, as I am on my two weeks and was given too many days so If I get asked to go home early I'm not really worried, and for what I have lined up after this It won't matter how I left. I have already told a DM who complained about the state of the store that I don't care how it looks I'm just running the register my last 3 days, and it wasn't MY FAULT our Co-manager walked out 3 weeks ago and we horribly understaffed (I'm sorry I'm not busting my ass because of it) and they have yet to get us a replacement or for the lot of people who already quit/got fired.

Afterwards, I thought damn I should have mentioned with HER attitude she would never have stood for someone taking up 3-5 minutes of her time when everyone else in front of her was also ready! Also the thought crossed my line that I am able to refuse service to ANYONE for ANY reason, and that would be a perfect time to tell her we don't want her business GET OUT!!!!
    Last edited by underemployeed; 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

I wish I could tell the customers off like that. Y'know, everyone thinks working at a c-store is easy...until they actually work at a c-store. There is actual *gasp* WORK involved, besides standing behind the counter, waiting for the next customer to wander in. People like the EW family just don't get that. Glad you found a new, and I'm taking it from your post better, job!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Yeah, everyone who has never worked in a C-store or retail has no idea what we go through, I'm glad I have paid my dues and now have that experience and I never want to do it again. Min wage isn't enough to be constantly told your worthless and will never amount to anything.... The government is giving me a lot more money to join the military for the same environment during training, and HOLY CRAP, when I get out people will have some respect for me. Actually, many of the customers I mentioned to that I was leaving to join the military thanked me for wanting to go off and protect their freedoms and wished me luck.
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Well let me be the next person to say thanks and wish you luck! Stay safe!

Awesome story, too.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Normally I would say that it's not a good idea to burn bridges. In this case, I say good for you. Good luck in the military.

Comment

Thanks in advance from me too, for your service to our country

I LOVE how you told that beeyotch off. And had I been in the line behind her I would have said something too...I'm not usually confrontational, much less rude, but I would have called her out on the whole pot/kettle/black thing. I always feel bad when people behind me have to wait because of something that is taking too long, and she obviously didn't give a rats ass about the other customers...that's when I usually get a bit testy.
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
              SC: "And.... (think it was son) is getting Jerky"
              ME: "Well he will have to bring it over here so I can finish the order and get the line moving"
              I do think that could have been worded a little better, and could have possibly prevented the blow-out that followed. In my experience, sounding blunt does tend to sound quite rude to a customer, and had I been the one you were serving, I would have been taken aback.

SC: "That is rude you CAN'T say that"
              me: "I'm pretty sure I just did because I like to KEEP IT REAL that there are 10 people behind you"
              And THAT ^ would have made me angry.

All I can say is, I hope you don't need your boss as a reference because you may end up burning a bridge there. But hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

Comment

Actually, I don't need my boss as a reference and I told her of the situation and she sided with me about how we have better things to do especially when we have a line than wait for people to decide on what they want and hold up everyone else.

And I will edit the OP to point out I DID, in fact wait 1-2min for him to NOT decide on anything. So it wasn't an instant reactionary response of me being rude. I waited to pounce. But it comes down to the fact that I'm pretty sure if I didn't say anything it would have been much, much longer and I'm sorry but why does she get to hold up the line? In a C-store I don't find your son being 25ft away staring at the Jerky display a valid reason to waste everyone's time.
                Last edited by underemployeed; 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
                  Actually, I don't need my boss as a reference and I told her of the situation and she sided with me about how we have better things to do especially when we have a line than wait for people to decide on what they want and hold up everyone else.
                  That's good to hear. BTW, way to tell off thatthose SC's.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Ah ok, fair does, ignore me When I first read it, it came off a bit differently; when you put it that way, you got a point. Its very inconsiderate to other people.

I really hate it when customers leave me in a position where I'm having to wait on them...normally, if they've dumped something on my till and I've started to run it up, and then they've buggered off, I void off their stuff and serve someone else. But sometimes they are actually stupid enough to leave their wallet or something on the counter, and its not like I can pick it up and put it on the other side of my till <.<

Comment

Working...
                    X