This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Want Me To Do What?

Not many stories lately, as generally most of my customers are pretty cool, or just lame in the usual boring ways. But there were a couple of them.

The first one is not unusual, but I haven't commented on it much, so I'll tell you about the latest version. Now, for the last year or so, we had been allowing anyone to sit at the bar, regardless of age, no big deal. (Obviously we were still carding anyone who ordered drinks.) With a new GM, it was recently decided to go back to the old policy of 21 or over only at the bar. No underage adults, no teens, and no children. Some of the bartenders were doing this on their own anyway, and management just wanted consistency.

So four people sat down at the end of the bar last week. Three women clearly of age, and a girl who was clearly a teenager. When I very politely informed them that she couldn't sit at the bar, but she was more than welcome to sit at one of the bar tables, they got up and left in a huff. Apparently, where they're from it's perfectly fine for minors and children to sit at the bar. I'd love to know where they're from, because that is not normally the policy in any place I've been in. Sadly, this is a fairly common thing. People get offended when we won't let their teens or even their young children sit at the bar. Ya know what? We don't want your business anyway!

But that is nothing compared to this next one.

Pardon Me, Can You Ask Me A More Ridiculous Favor, Please?

Now, to be fair, the woman in this next one was unfailingly polite and friendly during both of my dealings with her, so I hesitate to label her a true SC. But what happened was so bizarre, I just had to relate it. My first encounter with her was when she was in the bar, at one of the bar tables, having a light snack and a cocktail. Pleasant experience, she paid her tab, tipped well, and left.

About an hour later, my manager tells me that there is a phone call for me. I get on the line, and the following conversation ensues:

ME: "This is Jester speaking. How may I help you?"
    HER: "Yes, Jester, this is [Her Name]. I'm the black lady who was in a while ago dining. Do you remember me?"
    ME: "Yes ma'am. How may I help you?"
    HER: "Well, I'm at [wherever the hell she was at], and I'm afraid my meter is running out, and I was wondering if you could put some money in it."
    ME: "Excuse me?!?!?!"
    HER: "I hate to bother you, but I was hoping you could just stick some money in my meter, and I'll be over later to square it with you."
    ME: "I'm....sorry. I don't think we do that sort of thing. I mean, I'd have to ask my manager, but I really doubt it."
    HER: "I understand, but I'd appreciate it if you could take care of that for me. It's the black Audi."
    ME: (realizing she is not asking the business to do that for her, but me) "Well, personally I know I can't get out from behind the bar, as we are busier than we were when you were here."
    HER: "Oh, I understand. I was just hoping. Thanks anyway."

As I said, she was unfailingly polite. But she wanted me to put money in her meter so she didn't have to come from wherever she was (it's a small freakin' island, and without her car, she couldn't have been that damn far!), and she'd
    pay me back later.

A few problems with this.

1. I don't freakin' know her. Now, if one of my friends was parked near my bar and called me with this favor, if at all possible, I would do it. But this is a woman that has been my customer exactly once. Not even a damn regular. Once.
    2. She wanted to me leave my post, exit the business, correctly ascertain which black Audi was hers (there could have been more than one), and put money in her meter, counting on her to come settle with me later.
    3. I was almost done with my shift. There wasn't going to be much of a later.
    4. People often say, "Oh, I'm a little short of cash, so I don't have a tip right now, but I'll get you back later." Do you know how many people in all my years have actually gotten me later? The number is somewhere between 0 and 2 (not quite sure) out of all the dozens of people who've said that.

So, yeah....freakin' bizarre!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

So you've had at least one person get you back? That's ten times more than what I had in certain occasions where I was expecting donations for services rendered.

Even if it was zero you're still miles ahead.

Comment

Quoth Jester
      Apparently, where they're from, it's perfectly fine for minors and children to sit at the bar.
      probably Wisconsin
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Certain bars in very small towns will allow minors to sit at the bar. of course they also know exactly who is an adult because there just arent that many people around.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          probably Wisconsin
          That's what I was going to say. When I was 10, my parents and I moved from WI to Georgia. My parents were shocked that I wasn't allowed to sit at the bar with them.

Comment

I know in south Aus kids can sit at the bar, just can't drink.
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
              So you've had at least one person get you back?
              I once had a situation where my credit card was refused after we'd dined. We were in the States - my friend and I between us had enough US money to cover the meal, but not the tip.

We were in an Outback restaurant. Earlier, I'd taken out my $10 AU to show them.

I offered that as a tip. Sure, it wouldn't help much in paying US bills - but the waitress seemed delighted anyway.

And my friend overtipped next time he went there anyway, explaining who the extra tip was to go to.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                We were in an Outback restaurant. Earlier, I'd taken out my $10 AU to show them.
                I actually a remember one lunch when my whole family was together. This was back when it was just me and my brothers and our parents were living in the same place.

We were at a Friendly's, which is a big New England chain. I'm not sure how far it spreads, but it's really a hit or miss with some of these places. And one woman at the place we were at was exceedingly nice to us, which was rare considering most people hated seeing five kids at one table. (We were pretty well behaved when we went out in public, so it wasn't us)

Anyway, this waitress was so nice that my brothers and I decided to buy her a bunch of those ice cream gift certificates with our allowance money. I assume my mother gave her an extra tip in addition, but there you go.

Comment

So you've had at least one person get you back?
                  I think one person may have. But I can't be sure. Possibly even two. But if so, at least one of them was a majorly regular regular.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  probably Wisconsin
                  Don't even get me started on that whole bit of nonsense!

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  And my friend overtipped next time he went there anyway, explaining who the extra tip was to go to.
                  I have to say something here, a bit of advice, as it were. If ever this happens to someone, that they can't cover the tip and go back to tip later....don't just give the tip to someone and tell them who it's "supposed" to go to. Actually find the server and tip them directly. Why? Well, because while the majority of servers in restaurants are decent, honest people, there are still enough people of questionable moral and ethical character that you can't be 100% certain that that extra tip will, in fact, go to the person you want it to go to, and won't simply be pocketed.

I hate to say that this is reality, but it is.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, the meter-needer may have been polite, but yeah, that was out of line for her to ask you to do that. Just ... wrong, and bizarre.

We were at a Friendly's, which is a big New England chain. I'm not sure how far it spreads
                    *twitch*

...sorry. I love Friendly's food and ice cream, I just get flashbacks now to the creepy manager at the Friendly's in my old hometown. "Mister Friendly", he called himself, polite as hell, and liked to offer kids that came in balloons.

...except "kids", in his book, included children over ten who are clearly not interested in balloons anymore, and who kinda want this guy to go away.

Turns out Mister Friendly managed another Friendly's location in our area, because when we went there, guess who, kids?

We didn't go back to a Friendly's in years, after we moved out of the area. Last time I went to one was probably five years ago or so, when I was in New England visiting my then-GF. And I was twitchy, half-expecting to see Mister Friendly materialize from behind a wall.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                      Certain bars in very small towns will allow minors to sit at the bar. of course they also know exactly who is an adult because there just arent that many people around.
                      My husband was allowed to sit at the bar as a child in a small town in Indiana. His dad was and still is a very regular regular there.

Also, as far as strange requests of bartenders go, I've got a couple to share. My former best friend and I were regulars at our local Rock Bottom when I lived on the other side of town. We knew all of the bar staff and they all liked us. One night, my friend was expecting an important phone call, but her battery was almost dead. She asked our server if he could find a place to plug it in for her for half an hour or so. At first he laughed like he thought she was joking. Once he realized she was serious, he gave her a look like "WTF?" but he took it and plugged it in for her.

I used to ask one of the bartenders there to pop my back for me. He's 6'4" and I'm 5'2", so he'd just pick me up from behind and shake me up and down. Worked every time!
                      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Ok, that's just...bizarre. I guess worth a try in her world or something?
                        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          Jester, the meter-needer may have been polite, but yeah, that was out of line for her to ask you to do that. Just ... wrong, and bizarre.
                          In some places it's also illegal.

It might be allowable since Jester was in some way acquainted with the owner of the car and she had requested that it be fed by someone else, but a lot of places have outlawed feeding the meters of strangers.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

It might be allowable since Jester was in some way acquainted with the owner of the car and she had requested that it be fed by someone else, but a lot of places have outlawed feeding the meters of strangers.
                            I'm confused. I don't see why feeding a stranger's meter would be a problem. I also don't see why someone would feed a stranger's meter unless they happened to be passing, saw that it was running out, and fed it out of the goodness of their hearts. So, what you're saying is that there are places that have outlawed random acts of kindness?
                            Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 08-04-2011, 08:36 PM. Reason: Holy run-on sentence, Batman!
                            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                              I'm confused. I don't see why feeding a stranger's meter would be a problem. I also don't see why someone would feed a stranger's meter unless they happened to be passing, saw that it was running out, and fed it out of the goodness of their hearts. So, what you're saying is that there are places that have outlawed random acts of kindness?
                              Absolutely. For one, it somewhat defeats the purpose of the meters to begin with (they generally want people to cycle, which is why there is a time limit on how much you can put in at one time - if you have to go back to your car to feed the meter anyway, you might decide it's time to leave), and there is more to be gotten from violations than from the meters themselves. Plus, if you go around feeding other people's meters, they might not learn to take responsibility for themselves. Then again, watching Parking Wars, even when people don't feed their meters, they still don't have any sense of personal responsibility.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X