This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because you're lazy and I'm psychic?

I work in the electronics department at my store, which consists of a 4 resister square desk area flanked by glass game cabinets and 3 aisles of stuff. It NEVER FAILS that people apparently think I'm psychic or don't need to use their voices. Let me explain...

I'm not always at the register desk area, sometimes I'm on the department computer, which is within eyesight of the desk, or in another of the 3 aisles of my department stocking, which is not within sight of the desk at all. WHY do people insist on just waiting at the desk for some indeterminate amount of time when there's no one there? I get it, you need a game unlocked or something, but why would you just stand there at the register, waiting? Why not use the call button behind you or I don't know, take a look around for the electronics worker? I guarantee you they are in the department somewhere, and it's not like you're crossing the ocean, you're walking 3 small aisles tops.

50% of the time this happens when I'm at the computer working away, and instead of the person walking over to the computer kiosk to get my attention and ask for a game, they just wait the 15 feet or so away at the register and wait for ME to read their mind. How hard is it to walk over and use your big boy voice and say "excuse me I need a game unlocked?" I know there's probably some people here who will say it IS my job to go over and assist them, but why do people think they're too good to ask for something, especially if it involves wasting time?

The other 50% of the time I'm stocking in an aisle, the person browses my aisle, seeing me there, and then proceeds to wait at the desk, knowing full well where I am. Again, why not just come over and ask?

It's even worse when they just stand in front of the glass case, pacing back and fourth like a browsing customer. I had one guy who bitched at me for not asking him if he needed help. He was browsing the case, I was working on the computer. He walks over after 5 minutes of browsing or so and just STANDS BEHIND ME, silently. It creeped me the heck out so I stop working, I turn around and ask him if he needed something, and then proceeds to tell me I have an attitude problem and that he's been waiting for me to come over and get something for him. Why the hell did he not just USE HIS WORDS LIKE AN ADULT and ask me for help? How am I supposed to know he needed something when he's just wandering around? Are some people above that sort of thing? Not all stores have a policy where workers have to greet customers and ask them if they need things.
    Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

If you work on becoming psychic you will be able to quit your job and work towards world domination instead!
    My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Oh great. Who needs M. Bison running around?
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I can guarantee that if I were to go to your store, I would be one of those people waiting at the desk. And I can tell you why.

You, over at that other computer or stocking shelves could be any of a dozen different levels of employee, any of which may, or may not, have the clearance/access required to open up the cases and allow customers access. Sure, a stock clerk would have access, but may not have the authority to hand items out. And at that other computer, you could be from an entirely different department where you would have the authority, but not the access.

So, we stand at the one place that is guaranteed to have an employee that will have both the access and the authority to give us what we want: the electronics services desk.

I'm not usually in much of a hurry when I'm shopping, so standing around waiting a few minutes until someone is available and notices me isn't any sort of issue on my part. When I am in a hurry, then I seek out a nearby employee and, rather than assume they are who I actually want, ask them if they know where the person I need can be found.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If I pass you, stocking in another area of the dept. the I am not likely to ask you to stop doing the task you are working on to unlock a cabinet and get me a game - I will wait at the service desk to see if one of your fellow electronics employees are free to unlock it for me - as opposed to interrupting you; however if i have to wait more than about 5 mins, then i will seek you out, back in the last aisle I saw you in, and apologize for interrupting you and ask if you can get something out of the locked case for me....

I would like to theorize that this is why other SC's do it - but i'm not that delusional...
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

If I wanted something and the only employee I saw was busy working at a computer, I would probably stand at the register and wait, too. That's because I feel rude interrupting someone who is obviously busy doing something else. If, however, that employee didn't look up or acknowledge me in a reasonable amount of time, I would (politely) say, "Excuse me, could I get some help?" I wouldn't get mad about it, though.
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. I'm not likely to ask for help right off the bat either. But not because I have some kind of attitude that I need people to notice me or anything, but because I don't want to interrupt the employee stocking or on the computer. If I saw someone standing around and looking for something to do I might ask them, but if an employee is busy I won't bother them. I'm actually trying to be a good customer by standing there and waiting patiently. I didn't think this would actually bug anyone. I don't get mad about the wait though. I don't expect the employees to materialize just because I am standing there.

Comment

See, being on the other side I would much rather you interrupt me. I have a tendency to focus on what I'm doing and put the blinders on. It looks bad for me if I'm in an aisle stocking, you wait at the empty register, and a manager walks by and sees someone waiting. I guarantee you my other department workers feel the same way. You're not interrupting at all, and we don't find it rude. If you need something, just ask. It's our job to help

Comment

notlovinit - I tend to this the same way.

Midori - It's nice to know the way the other side thinks of it. I will have to remember it.

Comment

I may be the SC here, because if I see somebody working in an area with a locked case..and I need in the locked case..I will stop and ask them. Even if they are not the one who has the key..chances are they know who does..and can get ahold of them. By paging if nothing else.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical
                      I may be the SC here, because if I see somebody working in an area with a locked case..and I need in the locked case..I will stop and ask them. Even if they are not the one who has the key..chances are they know who does..and can get ahold of them. By paging if nothing else.
                      Personally I, as well, would rather you come up to me and ask for help then just stand at, say, the photo counter and just wait (sooo many customers do that at my store. Ask me and I'll either help you myself or get someone who can.).

If I'm in a store and need something I'll find an employee and politely ask if they're busy or if they could help me.
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Mythical and dragon, you're both not SC at all, that is the best way to do it. Don't just wait for the employee to materialize, be proactive and go find someone, anyone. I can't help in the bike department, but I get asked at least 2x an hour due to my department's proximity to it. I call the person who can over. Problem solved. It's always the ones who wait for the employee that get huffy about no one helping them. Just open your mouth, it's not just for eating you know...

Comment

I was 'trained' to do so by the local Wally World. Which tries to run a supercenter with less people then they used on a 'regular' wally world. Because you may not see anybody for a long time. You could stand at the electronics 'desk' for 30 minutes, and not see a soul (mind you I shop mostly during third shift). So hunting down somebody, and asking was your best option.

Which is sad, especially when they have a 'electronics should always be 'manned'' rule. Which is great, wonderful, and smart. Except when said person is manning it by stocking over near sporting goods. .

I also can understand the people that would rather wait, however. I know bothering people while they work is not something I like to do. Nor do I enjoy hunting down somebody to get help.

Which is why when I worked in retail, if I noticed somebody waiting, anywhere (even not in or even near my section) I would immediately go to them and let them know I would get somebody to help them if they need. Sure you get a lot of 'But can't YOU help me', and complainers, but you get some 'thank you so much!' also. Of course I got in a lot of trouble..things like "What took you so long!?" by managers, etc..
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

My company DOES have an electronics should always be manned rule, but it works against us. Electronics is currently the least busy part of the store. The electronics kid is rarely allowed to leave their area, meaning if there's a ton of stocking to do on other departments or a huge rush somewhere, they are just supposed to twiddle their thumbs and wait for a customer. It goes both ways I guess. I usually just leave electronics of my own free will, no one seems to mind because it's helping overall.

Comment

Working...
                            X