This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-Sucky Firelane Suck-Fest With Bonus WTF

I was walking my rounds outdoors today. Going up and down in front of *al *art I was checking handicap parking and, if someone was in the fire lane for more than 3-minutes, I asked them to move. I walked-up to one vehicle, the driver (a middle-aged to older gentleman) who tried to ignore me.

Cast:
    Me = Me
    Cart Boy = CB
    Sucky Man = SM
    Sucky Girl = SG
    Sucky Girl 2 = SG2

I said "excuse me sir, could you please find a parking spot or the lot because you can't sit in the fire lane." He began puffing-up like a poisonous frog.
    SM = "I, well...WHO DO YOU WORK FOR!?!? (&^&^$$%^^%^!!!"
    Me = "I work for the Mall sir, and this store is part of the mall so I'm patroling..."
    SM = "I'm waiting for my wife! We spend $ here and she's coming out with it and we'll just bring everything back if you don't appreciate our business!"
    Me = "Well sir, you still can't sit in the fire lane. When your wife comes out with the groceries you can pull up and load."
    SM = "I'm not PARKED! I'm WAITING! If there's a fire I'll move!"
    Me = "It doesn't work like, you can either move or I can write you a ticket." At this point a cart guy who'd been watching the exchange came by and said:
    CB = "Why can't you just move like she asked you to? Nobody else had a problem but you."
    SM = (Turning red) "You...This is none of your business! You just stick to pushing your carts! I'll return everything and never shop here again...." He continued bitching as he FINALLY pulled out of the fire lane. I thanked CB for the back-up and went on my way.

5-Minutes later.

SM pulls BACK into the fire lane, directly in front of me where I'm standing and, keeping eye contact, deliberately gets out of his car and...stands there.

Me = "Sir..."
    SM = "My wife should be coming-out any minute! I'm not parked, I'm STANDING!"
    Me = "Sir, you would have been in the fire lane for almost 15 minutes if I hadn't spoken to you. I said when she comes out you can load."
    SM = "Well, she wasn't supposed to be that long."
    Me = "That happens a lot, but see, once one person parks, then everyone does, and you have traffic trying to go around you and can you picture a little kid darting out of the store in front of your car and the person behind you not seeing him?"

At this point CB was walking-by with a load of carts and SM shouted at him "Boy, you got a mouth on you!"

CB just about threw-down gauntlets with his glare and walked over next to me.

CB = "Sir, she has asked you to move several times..."
    SM = "Stay out of my business! I'll take my money elsewhere and we'll never shop here again!"
    CB = "(Laughs) Go ahead! Losing your 'business' won't hurt *al *art at ALL!."
    SM = "Why you.....! I'll have your job, you can't say that!"
    CB = "Would you like me to get my manager for you?"

SM started for CB and I put myself between them. (I appreciated the support, but CB was almost making it worse) "Sir, I was going to cut you a break and let you wait for your wife, but now you're harassing employees and I'm telling you to move now or you're getting that ticket!"

SM = "I'm not PARKED I'm STANDING!!!"
    Me = "Sir, I don't see your foot on the brake so you are most certainly parked!"

And this is where it went all Twilight Zone on us. A young 20's woman marched over from her car parked in the lot a space away and put herself between us and SM, and pretty much shoved her face into CB's so much he had to step back.

SG = "You (to CB) Why don't you go back to doing your job! Leave him alone, what is wrong with you!?" She turned to SM "Sir, I can't believe they're doing this to you, why don't you just get back in your car so they won't harass you..." Opens car door for him

Me = "Ma'am, we've been asking him to move out of the..."
    SG = "DON'T talk to me! You need to be doing something else! He can sit here! I can't believe this, harassing, I'm SO sorry sir..." She went on but I couldn't catch what affirmations she was cooing to SM, who wholeheartedly agreed with her about how terrible we were. He did get in his car, and finally moved out of the fire lane. SG stalked back across to her car as SM drove by and called in a honey-sick voice "You have a LOVELY day sir!" SG2 who was standing by SG's car watching the whole thing also called "Hop your day gets better sir!"

And I just looked at CB. And he looked at me. And several in their vehicles and on the sidewalk looked at us. And we all pretty much collectively shrugged our shoulders and said "WTF just happened!?" I don't know what alternate reality SG and SG2 witnessed, but somehow CB and me ended-up being the bad guys? Luckily everyone but those two realized what really happened.

Oh, and it was another 8-minutes or so before SM's wife came-out. So, if he'd had his way, he would have been parked...oh, excuse me, STANDING in the fire lane for over 20-minutes, because his wife was going to come-out 'any minute!'

And this happened within the first 1/2 hour of me coming on-shift.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

AH, yes, the "I'm not PARKED" excuse....

To which I always ask "What gear are you in?" The answer seems to be "park" a lot, or else there's a "cuss like mad" gear in their car that was installed as a dealer option.

I've had people claim their car wasn't parked when nobody was even IN it and they were 2 blocks away from it..... sorry, spiritual links don't count either.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

If I had the power to ticket someone after two verbals they would have been so ticketed. Can't argue with stupid.
      “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
      ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I'm fairly sure that fire lanes are legally "No Parking/Stopping/Standing" zones. I'm sure if the cops had shown up they would have made that crystal clear to him...not that he probably would have liked THEIR "interference", either.
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Argabarga
          AH, yes, the "I'm not PARKED" excuse....

To which I always ask "What gear are you in?" The answer seems to be "park" a lot, or else there's a "cuss like mad" gear in their car that was installed as a dealer option.

I've had people claim their car wasn't parked when nobody was even IN it and they were 2 blocks away from it..... sorry, spiritual links don't count either.
          Excusemewhat?! How about Neutral
          Naw, I'm just kidding. SM needs to pay impound fees, and the SGs need a very .....'persuasive' lesson in moral aptitude.

Comment

You should have given him a ticket anyway.

Comment

How many verbal warnings is one required to give before issuing a ticket? Because if you talk back to me or are a rude jerk, then I'm not so forgiving. Especially when you move and then repark (restand?) in the fire lane to taunt me. I will gladly give you a ticket and explain I don't work for the store and that any returns can be made after your car is moved. An if the driver is incapable of doing such, I'll gladly call a tow truck. I'm helpful like that.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                How many verbal warnings is one required to give before issuing a ticket?
                The judge that handles our tickets shows a lot of leniency to fire lane violations, as if he doesn't trust security's judgement; he usually seems to take the driver's side if it was an occupied vehicle. We have a better chance of winning with unoccupied vehicles. I didn't want to write a ticket that would 80% likely be overturned and then have that 'gentleman' rub my nose in it. You're right though, I probably should have said I was calling the police after the 2nd refusal; so much for trying to be nice, ehe?
                Last edited by LillFilly; 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  The judge that handles our tickets shows a lot of leniency to fire lane violations, as if he doesn't trust security's judgement; he usually seems to take the driver's side if it was an occupied vehicle. We have a better chance of winning with unoccupied vehicles. I didn't want to write a ticket that would 80% likely be overturned and then have that 'gentleman' rub my nose in it. You're right though, I probably should have said I was calling the police after the 2nd refusal; so much for trying to be nice, ehe?
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the second go-around, when he pulled the "I'm not parked, I'm STANDING" crap, he was outside of the car, yes? Doesn't that make it an unoccupied car?
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the second go-around, when he pulled the "I'm not parked, I'm STANDING" crap, he was outside of the car, yes? Doesn't that make it an unoccupied car?
                    I probably would have, had SG and SG2 not butted-in. I don't know if they were a good thing or bad thing. Probably for the best we all went our separate ways.

Comment

OMG, I am fuming for you. I hate people like this. I am working on my career path to become a police officer and when people can't rexpect authority it pisses me off like no other. I know everyone has their opinion on cops, meter maids, parking enforcement, CSOs, etc, but you still have to do what they say. Jerks.

Comment

The cops LOVE our store for catching fire lane violations.

Now, we're an Orange Apron. People are going to be buying heavy items or items in bulk. They're going to need to load, and it does take time, especially when the forklift is involved. We and the cops understand this. However, one, there is a designated loading zone at the lumber doors ("I don't want to walk that far!") and two, you don't need to be in the fire lane if you're not actively trying to load your car! The cops even do a warning horn, to make sure the occupant is actually missing and not right inside getting their merchandise out. They tell occupied cars to move or be ticketed. They do this several times a day, even.

And they STILL write 1-2 tickets per week! People never believe us when we tell them not to park there because cops patrol the shopping center.
                        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                          And they STILL write 1-2 tickets per week! People never believe us when we tell them not to park there because cops patrol the shopping center.
                          I adore your shopping center for allowing/inviting the cops in to take care of shit like this. I wish more would be pro-active about such things.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            SG = "You (to CB) Why don't you go back to doing your job! Leave him alone, what is wrong with you!?" She turned to SM "Sir, I can't believe they're doing this to you, why don't you just get back in your car so they won't harass you..." Opens car door for him

Me = "Ma'am, we've been asking him to move out of the..."
                            SG = "DON'T talk to me! You need to be doing something else! He can sit here! I can't believe this, harassing, I'm SO sorry sir..." She went on but I couldn't catch what affirmations she was cooing to SM, who wholeheartedly agreed with her about how terrible we were.
                            "No, honey, he actually CAN'T sit here, it's a freaking FIRE LANE!!!" Stupid buttinsky, what business is it of hers, and why is she encouraging someone to break the law?!

Sorry you had to go through that. Would've served the asshat right if there had actually been a need for the fire department to show up.

I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

A shot of that fire hose image from the other side.

Here's an archival photo of a hose going through a car. In this case, it appears that the windows were down, and the car is actually being used as an aid for the hose coming from the fire engine.

And an entire blog dedicated to idiots parking in fire lanes. With a lovely shot of someone being arrested a few entries down.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X