This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardly Normal Photocenter Tales - "You Suck"

I worked at a Hardly Normal Computer store doing lots of different jobs. One of which was running the Fujifilm Photocenter.

This incident happened during the first weekend of a cheap photo promo that Hardly Normal regularly runs. The price for 6x4 prints dropped from 29 cents to 15 cents. It seemed that every cheap person in town turned up to print hundreds of photos. The Photocenter went from quiet to overloaded. There was a suppose to a limit of the number of cheap prints but that was ignored.

There were queues to use the Photocenter kiosks for the first time and the photo printer is running non-stop. I am bagging photos and handing them out as quickly as possible while my co-worker is pushing the jobs through. Jobs have to be activated by taking the docket to the cashier, pay for the order, and bring the receipt back so we could put the job in the queue.

Ms Sucky comes up to me and wants to know were her prints are. I look at her docket and realize that she has not paid and activated the order. I tell her that she has to pay her photos first and her response is "No one told me I had to do that!!! I have been waiting for half an hour and nobody told me". What she had missed was the large sign stating how to activate your job. There is also a message on the kiosk and the docket to go see the cashier. I point out the sign and the message on the document. Ms Sucky then stomps off to the cashier, brings the receipt and we put her job in the queue. Ms Sucky was the only person that day who didn't see the cashier first.

At this point there are so many jobs in the system that it is taking at least an hour for peoples photos to print. Of course Ms Sucky now begins to complain about the delay. I apologize and keep handing out photos out to people who have been waiting patiently. Finally, her photos print out and I think great now she can bugger off and annoy someone else. Wishful thinking as Ms Sucky is back five minutes later. Her complaint is that she paid for 144 photos and only got 137.

I count the photos, look around a bit, check the server and conclude that the Photo Printer has lost them somewhere (it was doing some strange things that day), so I offer a refund of the difference. Ms Sucky agrees to the refund and I join her in the queue to see the cashier to get it organized. Ms Sucky starts up with "This sucks, I have had to wait all day to get prints and now I have to wait to get a refund. This store sucks, it should be quicker etc". I apologize for the inconvenience but that is not good enough. The last straw for me is when she states "and you suck too. I want a full refund." I was not allowed to authorize a full refund, so I go get a manager to deal with her. The manager on duty was J who hated sucky customers demanding refunds for stupid reasons.

I return to the Photocenter while the discussion between J and Ms Sucky gets louder. Ms Sucky did get a full refund but what she didn't get was her photos. J gave her a choice of refund or photos. Ms Sucky wanted both as we were only going to throw the photos out. J didn't budge so Ms Sucky took the money and J took the photos and destroyed them.

After it was all over one the sales guys comes over and lets me know that Ms Sucky is a friend of his wife. Apparently what she did was a standard tactic for her to get free photos and it had worked at other places around town. He had been keeping out of site serving customers around the laptops to avoid being dragged into the discussion.

The marketing slogan for the Photocenter is "Get your photos in minutes" which is clever as it gives no promise of how many minutes but an expectation of only a few. Ms Sucky tried to use this slogan as a reason for a full refund as she didn't get her photos in minutes but it took over an hour. Pointing out that an hour is 60 minutes didn't help her mood.

Next Stories will be "I traveled all the way from" and "this green is not green enough". Again they are from the Photocenter.

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
    Apparently what she did was a standard tactic for her to get free photos and it had worked at other places around town. He had been keeping out of site serving customers around the laptops to avoid being dragged into the discussion.
    And that, right there, is why the same SC's tend to keep doing what they do so well...It works more often than not...sadly. As for the sales guy -- I can't blame him in the slightest, tho it might have been cool of him to call her on it (tho that might have caused other problems)

to ! We have Brain Bleach on tap, boozeahol if yer old enough, and someone should be along shortly with some cookies.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

ah you are cursed with the fugi kiosks too eh?
      you can borrow my printer anytime. the greens are psychedelic.
      Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! *gives cookies*
        "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Well, we know one person that won't be coming back. If she does, say, "Hey! You lied to me. You said this place sucks, so why are you back? AND you said I suck. Hmm, I'm not helping you, not with what you said about me. You're waiting longer now..."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            And that, right there, is why the same SC's tend to keep doing what they do so well...It works more often than not...sadly. As for the sales guy -- I can't blame him in the slightest, tho it might have been cool of him to call her on it (tho that might have caused other problems)
            It was funny to she lose in this case and I can understand the sales guy not wanting to get involved. It would have caused problems for him at home and he was serving other customers. That is why J was the best manager to get to deal with suck customers pulling stunts, he didn't back down and loved to put them in their plac3.

Quoth emax4 View Post
            Well, we know one person that won't be coming back. If she does, say, "Hey! You lied to me. You said this place sucks, so why are you back? AND you said I suck. Hmm, I'm not helping you, not with what you said about me. You're waiting longer now..."
            Ms Sucky never came back while I was working there.

Comment

Working...
            X