This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope that stool softener helped remove the bug up you ass

I’ve been doing so well these past few months holding my tongue with SCs, but I let one have it.

I was working the late shift when a woman approached my register with a package of Dulcolax (a stool softener). In a very rapid-fire cadence, she asked me why Dulcolax costs more at our store than at ^al-^art.

Well, let’s face it; everything is cheaper at ^al-M=^art, correct? I should have kindly suggested that we call corporate to find out, but instead I dryly replied, “We’re not ^al-^art.”

That is when the shite hit the fan. I don’t really know much of what she said after that, something about “do you think you’re funny, blah blah “. She did pay me, though. Then she snapped “Give me my change!!” I handed her the change along with the receipt and bag, but she insisted she did not want a bag, but a "PAID" sticker instead, so no one would accuse her of shoplifting. (Of course, with a receipt, who would accuse her of shoplifting?).

Then, I made the mistake of saying to her, "Just get out." I knew it was the wrong thing to say as soon as I said it. I should have said, “Have a nice evening, ma’am,” because as we all know, “ma’am” is just a code word for “bitch.”

At this point, she had raised her voice to a level that the manager heard her. I continued to wait on customers until he decided to shut down my register to get my side of the story.

I'm new to the whole sucky customer thing, so what amazes me that SCs who are so good at dishing it out are not equally able to take it.

to CS I see nothing wrong with your first answer...your price is not the same as Wally World because you are not Wally World. Forget calling corporate...even in my "everyone has to be nice no matter how nasty they get" job, I would say politely that we do not match competitor's prices and that we believe our products are worth the price we charge. And yeah, the SCs have no sense of humor (or fairness) at all. They can be sucky all they want but we have to be perfectly sweet and kind. You'd think they'd understand a sucky response better

We aren't supposed to do the "ma'am/sir" thing either, as the client I take calls for also finds those terms to be a bit patronizing. I don't personally take offense if I'm called ma'am in a polite way, but to each their own, I suppose.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Not only that, but what, in her mind, thinks that a cashier has all the answers? You're not in corporate. Maybe you're not wearing a tag with "manager" on it". If she can't see those signs, she's looking in the wrong places for answers.

Comment

Well. we are supposed to act as if we respect the customer; there's a certain expectation of 'courtesy', though I think it's certainly reasonable to be prepared to verbally defend yourself if need be. Besides, you already sorta called *yourself* out on the slip of the tongue The fact remains that she wasn't exactly all sweetness and light, herself.

If I were new to retail/customer service in general, it would amaze me that customers who are, themselves, rude expect workers not to be rude. It's a two-way street, but workers are expected to ignore the SC's who insist on driving into traffic in the oncoming lane ~_~

Anyhoo, to !

We've got on tap, and someone should be around with cookies shortly if we don't eat them all ourselves, first
        Last edited by EricKei; 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Everyone slips up. You should have seen what I said to a customer once. Fortunately the one coworker who saw it denied it and I got off by just apologizing verbally.

Comment

Dude, are they EVER not good at taking what they so happily dish out. Keep that firmly in mind and over time you'll be surprised at how many ways you can say 'Have a nice day' in the nicest tone of voice and still make it clear that you really mean 'Just get out'. The nicer you are, the madder they get, and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. Managers tend to look at customers funny when they start complaining that the clerk was too nice.

And since you're new here, allow me to add to the welcome basket. Your choice of, lessee, half a bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum, some Bailey's, and my latest experiment: Marshmallow brownies with marshmallow fluff spread on top. You'll need a spoon, I used too many marshmallows and the whole thing is a little sticky. I've also got some good chai if you'd prefer a milder beverage.

I've also got a line on chocolate-covered bacon, but find yourself a secure, elevated location in which to eat it or you may not survive the stampede. Bacon is.. ahem.. rather popular around here, to put it mildly.

Oh, and welcome to the madness!
            What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Well if the SC wants to pay the WallyWorld price, she can always go there. Besides how much less is the product there anyway? Probably not enough to burn the fuel to get there.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've been there, I actually not too long ago told a customer to get lost. After harping on me I couldn't take much more and it just came out. I honestly think that SC's think that those that work in retail are robots and think that being rude is ok with us. We can only take so much!

Welcome to Customerssuck and hopefully you won't have too many sc stories!

Comment

BACON!!!! where? where? I want Bacon!!! gimme gimme gimme

Oh yeah. I find being very sweet to jerks like that fun. They get madder and madder and as Mharbourgirl mentioned, they look like a complete idiot (even to themselves) complaining to a manager that you were nice. I even occasionally get people complaining when I say Sir or Ma'am and I just tell them 'Sorry. Its automatic from when I was in the Navy' (true) and move on with the conversation. so far (20+ years) I just get an OH to that and they carry on with their regularly scheduled rant.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                    I've also got a line on chocolate-covered bacon, but find yourself a secure, elevated location in which to eat it or you may not survive the stampede.
                    Horsies can climb?
                    Next thing you know clams will have legs.
                    [/BC]
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I can back mharbourgirl up on that ...If such little verbal slips worry you (or more to the point - you're worried that such a thing could put your job at risk), try to cultivate a nice, so-friendly-it's-creepy huge toothy smile and corresponding friendly voice to go with it, for just such an occasion. With any luck, they'll just pay for their stuff and back away. Bonus points if the smile causes them to bolt mid-sentence.

I've never actually gotten a "too nice" complaint, but if i did, I would give myself a high five and perhaps allow myself a brief werewolf howl in delight. Then I would frame it and hang it on my wall as a trophy ^_^
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get this all the time, because customers expect me to know everything about my store AND the stores in the area. I don't know, I've told customers to go to the store in question to find out because I don't work there.

Don't worry about the slip up, it happens to everyone. No one is perfect.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Here's what I don't get: If I were buying stool softener, I would not want to draw attention to it.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            Here's what I don't get: If I were buying stool softener, I would not want to draw attention to it.
                            You would not, but it seems old ladies like to draw attention to it. I have no idea why.

I remember one old dear at the Drug Store From Hell bringing up a large jar of Metamucil to my register and say in a loud voice that could be heard all across the front of the store, "I really need this stuff, I have so much trouble with my BOWELS!!!"
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Well at least you didn't say, "Well if you want Wal-Mart Prices, why dont' you go shop there you old bag?"

And welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X