Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prices change. Get over it. (Longy. Ranty. Mild language.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prices change. Get over it. (Longy. Ranty. Mild language.)

As a reminder, I work at a gas station/convenience store which we will call Slowway. I have been off for three days (nothing special, just the way the schedule happened) and came back today. As Monday was the first, several prices changed.

The first issue was that our two month "any size same price" promotion on cold drink ended. The ten bazillion signs are gone. All cups slots are marked with the normal price. The signs on and above the cold drink bar list the prices. About 30 million times today I have had this exact conversation.

SC walks up with either 32 or 44 oz drink. I punch the appropriate button on the screen. The register charges 1.09 (1.16 with tax) or 1.29 (1.38 with tax) respectively.
    Me: *tells customer price*
    SC: What?!? The sign says they're all 89 cents. (or "That's wrong, they're all 89 cents)
    Me: Actually the signs lists each drink's price according to size. The promotion you're referring to is over.
    SC: When did that happen? *insert another location here* sold me one at 89 cents yesterday.
    Me: *pretends to write down location* Thank you. I will be sure to let corporate know that that location is violating company policy.

Jacked up part is that most of these people had plenty of cash. They just wanted to complain.

Cigarettes are a fickle market.

Anyone in the US who smokes or sells tobacco knows that cig prices can go up and down. I've been at Slowway for a year and the price of Marlboros has changed no fewer then 5 times. This week was a ten cent per pack (after tax) hike. My coworkers neglected to tell me this but my first customer was a regular so when I blindly scanned his cigs and said "Five fif.......uhhh five sixty I guess" he just chuckled and asked if I enjoyed my long "weekend". With another moron I wasn't so lucky.

I cringe every time this lady walks in. She always complains about SOMETHING. (Like why we are out of a particular kind of donut at 9pm when the new delivery is due in at 11). She smokes like a chimney, but most of the time her son (poor guy) pics up her cigs for her if she doesn't have other errands to run. She asked for 5 packs of her usual. I scan one and hit the button on the register to indicate she's over 30. Before I can hit the two buttons necessary to change the quantity, she some how notices the total for one pack and flips.

The players:
    Evil Cigarette woman: Does not speak from here on out. Only screams.
    Me:
    B: Co-worker who is a bit younger then me and not good with conflict but is somehow a shift leader and wears the black "manager" shirts.

ECW: WHAT?!? You did something wrong. They are 5.50 not 5.60
    Me: Actually ma'am the price went up to 5.60 on Monday
    ECW: No. You're wrong.
    Me: *points at sign on cig rack indicating pre tax price* That's the new price not including tax. It's also been changed on our window signs.
    B walks out of the back from changing a fountain soda due to the commotion. Mistake. ECW
    ECW sees B and points a gnarled tobacco stained finger at him.
    ECW: You. Manager. You need to fire this employee. She's trying to rip me off!
    B to me: What's going on Slave?
    Me: I'm trying to explain to her that Marlboros went up ten cents this week and she doesn't believe me. She apparently thinks that scamming her out of 50 cents is worth my job.
    ECW: Listen to her attitude. She's obviously in the wrong.
    B to ECW: Ma'am she's right. Marlboros went up by ten cents Sunday night at Midnight. This was a price change initiated by Marlboro. (That's our standard line when cig prices change to try to deflect the anger from us to the cig company).
    ECW: That's bullsh*t. You are both lying to me.
    At this point, she's cussed. I'm not serving her and don't have to per policy (my manager rocks). I put the five pack of cigs in the coupon basket next to my register, void her order, and move to B's register (she's still blocking mine) to take the next customer as there is now a line. I call up the next customer and start ringing their items.
    ECW: NO!!! You will come back here and serve me right now. I still need my cigarettes. I'll just pay the extra and save the receipt for when I sue you.
    I physically grab B and put him infront of his register as this has reached the point where he won't be able to deal with it.
    Me: No ma'am. I am not selling you anything. I was going to say you may leave now and come back when you can speak civilly to us, but if you're just going to try to sue us if we do help you, we won't allow you back. You're choice on how you want it to be.
    ECW: You! Manager! Make her sell me my cigarettes.
    B: No. You yelled at her. She doesn't have to.
    ECW: Then you come help me.
    B has finished with the line and now the only customer in the store is a regular who is an off duty security guard and is hanging out by the roller grill pretending to decide what he wants, but really watching to see if she's going to get violent as she's started whipping her purse around.
    B: No. Slave told you to leave. Leave.
    B goes back in the back to finish changing the soda.
    ECW: Well I'm not moving until you sell me my cigarettes.
    Me: That's fine. We've asked you to leave and you refused so I will just run on B's register until the police show up to arrest you for trespassing.
    To drive the point home I picked up the phone.
    ECW kind of deflates and scuttles out the door sheepishly. I called my manager after that one and she said if ECW comes back to inform her she is no longer welcome in the store from 2pm until 6am and if she continues her behavior she'll be banned on first as well. She doesn't give the older morning guy any trouble usually.

I am going to strangle this kid.

There is also a kid (13-15) who comes in I just want to kill. Going to ask the boss permission to ban him tomorrow. Every time he's in he's loud, rude, and disruptive. He always yells questions at me from across the store and always while I'm with a customer. I was explaining points redemptions options to a customer today when he yells "HEY YOU" at me from halfway across the store. I ignored him until I was through with her then when he yelled again I kept saying "What, I can't hear you, you need to come closer" until he came up to the counter then answered his question in the most smartassed fashion I could. I am so sick of these young kids (usually boys) thinking that because I'm a female in retail I can be treated like s****. I am going to start treating these idiots in the same fashion as my boss. She doesn't take any c**** from customers and I'm done being the one to do it.
    And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

This is ridiculous, back in my day you used to be able to see two movies, get popcorn and a back-rub....and still get change back from your nickel! Damn, these of some of my most hated people.

Comment

Thankfully I've never had anyone erupt over prices quite like that. Some people, though, do believe that certain places jack their prices up--the 24 hr station across from where I work, for example, is one place my customers like to conspiracy theorize about. I only wish I could get away with refusing to serve someone like that--I'm not sure corporate would be too keen on my doing so.
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

My store is one of the top performers in the state so our manager can get away with telling corporate to kiss her rear. She once told the corporate sales manager that the minimum wage he pays us isn't enough to get treated the way we do and until our wages go up, she'll keep allowing us to refuse server to the rude EW's.
        And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

Comment

Cig price changes...

I checked this morning for price changes (I opened yesterday morning and this morning). And there was some. I changed the boards on display on the cig wall.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Batshit Crazy Lady
            I'll just pay the extra and save the receipt for when I sue you.
            Yeah...have fun with that one, lady.
            You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

The gas station I worked at always had higher prices than Kwik Trip and other stores, for whatever reason.

I don't know why, but the regulars were more keen on bitching at me or my manager than shopping elsewhere.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

At least your signs were down and you could say the promo was over. At my toy store the company raises prices ridiculously quick. It's to the point that our big holiday catalog goes out, the prices are good for a month, then right after they get raised, and then raised AGAIN. We had a customer point out that an item that was in the catalog on sale for 49.99, originally 79.99 and now it is 89.99. He was like, I understand the 49.99 sale is over, but it says original price is 79.99 and now it isn't! Well, take it up with corporate, they're they ones squeezing every dime out of you.
                Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

Comment

Working...
                X