This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chlorine + iced coffee = poison?

This one made me so angry I couldn't even write it up last night. I will do my best to keep language at a minimum.

So yesterday it turned out that some genius had had a brilliant idea with one of our display stands featuring chocolate-covered snacks. The whole thing is shaped like a large cardboard bucket with the colours and the logo of the product on it, wedged into a cardboard square that keeps it upright.

This Einstein of a man or woman (we never actually saw the person in question) had grabbed one of the iced coffees, the kind that comes in small 250 ml cartons, opened it just a nudge, and then set it upside down in the stand. So the iced coffee poured inbetween the bags, soaked into the cardboard and eventually made its way down to the floor where it made a large puddle.

I have no idea if this was done because the person was evil, or just completely thoughtless. Maybe the iced coffee was sipped first, found to not be to the idiot's liking, and dropped top-first into the stand. Or it was done just to be a bastard.

Luckily it was quiet at this time, so I got help from a coworker to clean up the mess. We added a bit of chlorine to the bucket of water to help scour away the coffee, and that's when I found out that chlorine mixed with iced coffee creates one of the worst and most pungent odours I've ever encountered.

Then after the floor was scrubbed we needed to wash off all the bags in the stand. All in all it took us about 30 mins. If we hadn't been two, it might have taken 45-60 minutes.

Whoever you are who did this, thanks a lot. I really can not imagine what must be going through your warped little mind.

As a bonus, in my anger I forgot I shouldn't lift heavy things because of my back, so picking up that whole stand and moving it out of the way for cleaning purposes is probably the reason I needed a dose of painkillers this morning. That's partly my own fault though.

*sigh*

~Wulf
    Last edited by Varewulf; 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM.

Always be careful using chlorine. Mixed with the correct chemicals (eg ammonia, urine) it can be released as chlorine gas. Which was one of the trench warfare gasses used in World War I, and one of the reasons chemical warfare was banned by the Geneva Convention.

If you get a pungent odour - or worse, a visible yellow/green gas - GET OUTTA THERE and keep other people away until it dissipates. And never use chlorine bleaches anywhere you've cleaned with ammonia, or in toilet rooms.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

What a doof. I'm sorry you had to clean up someone's thoughtless, nasty mess!
      Also, I will second the "if it smells more than usual, gtfo/ventilate/cover your breathing!"
      (also, welcome to the board! Are you native to Norway? I don't know why, but I'm always surprised/pleased by so-far flawless English from people who aren't from a country that has it as an official language. )
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
        What a doof. I'm sorry you had to clean up someone's thoughtless, nasty mess!
        Also, I will second the "if it smells more than usual, gtfo/ventilate/cover your breathing!"
        (also, welcome to the board! Are you native to Norway? I don't know why, but I'm always surprised/pleased by so-far flawless English from people who aren't from a country that has it as an official language. )
        Don't worry, we got it handled safely. Neither of us felt any sick afterwards, and got no complaints from anyone else either.

And yes, I'm native to Norway. English is compulsory in our schools though. I started learning at age 8, though I really only became fluent after I got into reading when I was 16. Sad to say it, but English books are much more interesting than Norwegian books. :-/ I've also had English and American friends since I was a teen, courtesy of the internet, so it's not like I've been lacking practice, hehe.

Comment

1) fluency comes with practice, as with anything
          2) Sadly, more people use English than Norwegian, thus, statistically, there will be 'better' stuff-- and worse stuff-- in English.

3) Glad you didn't get sick!
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
          X