Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An open letter to cable customers (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter to cable customers (long)

Dear customers, my name is Redbeard and while you may not remember me, I definitely remember you.

I'm an easygoing guy, and always try to take the very best care of my customers (And I think of every caller as my customer, even if someone else has already gotten you services) no matter the situation.

That being said, as a show of good faith, I'm going to share these tidbits of wisdom with you that I hope you will digest and remember as the years roll by.

I am in the sales department. You have to hit very specific buttons to reach my department, and it is nearly impossible to reach here by mistake. PLEASE, I beg of you, stop trying to bypass the wait for my repair line by coming over here instead. It may seem a bit of a stretch that the repair department has specific tools and resources that I do not, and therefore can assist your repair issues where I, a humble sales wage slave, cannot. In fact, I do receive an evil bit of glee when I inform you that you have just wasted time demanding that I fix your issue when I cannot, and I transfer you back to the end of the repair queue.
    Also: There is no super secret transfer that puts you ahead of everyone else. Just like everyone else, it's first come first serve.

No, I'm not going to cancel someone else’s appointment so that you can get your install earlier.

I realize that there are great offers out there for new customers. Just like when you were a new customer and you received a great promotion. This is how the business works. We do care about you as a customer, but yelling and screaming at me because I cannot cut your bill in half is going to accomplish nothing more than give me a headache. I do, however have a customer loyalty department, I will be more than happy to give you their hours of operation and tell you how to reach them.

No, I'm not going to cancel someone else’s appointment so that you can get your install earlier.

I am not your answering service, so don’t call me and demand that I have a supervisor call you back. Not gonna happen, friend. If your issue is that great, I can transfer you to someone of a higher authority than me, and they can help you.

Demanding that I tell you “what I’m going to do keep you as a customer”? Not going to get results, please see the above reference to our wonderful customer loyalty department.

Cuando usted llama adentro, hay una opción clara para las llamadas de la lengua española. It' s la segunda opción. Si usted pararía el presionar de los botones al azar bastante tiempo para oír esta opción, usted conseguirá alguien que habla su lengua y será más que feliz de ayudarle. Don' t consigue enojado en mí porque you' re impaciente y can' t habla la lengüeta común de este país. Infierno, nosotros don' ¿la víspera de t tiene que ofrecer la línea, pero hacemos de todos modos, así que mate la actitud, autorización? Este gringo sabe bastante español para entender qué you' re refrán sobre él, amigo.

For the last time, I'm not going to cancel someone else’s appointment so that you can get your install earlier! Wait your turn!

No, there is no great conspiracy to not carry the “insert ethnic or religious channel here” channel. If there’s not a high enough demand, we’re not going to pay the extra cost to carry it. It’s not good business sense. We’re rely not anti-Semitic/Hindu/Eskimo/Bavarian Yodeler, there’s just NOT ENOUGH of a customer base and we would lose money on carrying that channel.

I will leave this last bit of knowledge for you, friend: I am a great resource for you. Ask nicely, admit when you don’t know something and I can clear it up for you. I am more than happy to take ownership of other peoples messes and treat them as if they were my mistakes, and with the same sense of urgency. Just take a chill pill, a shot of whiskey, or even a quicky before calling me. We’ll all be happier.

Yours in service,
    Redbeard
    Last edited by Redbeard; 08-15-2011, 04:10 AM.

Haha, there IS an Eskimo channel, and it's APTN in Canada, at least in eastern Canada, and all the various Eskimo (inuit) kids' cartoons are on in the morning. Yes, there's more than a couple.

I kinda know how to make an igloo now. lol

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
      Haha, there IS an Eskimo channel, and it's APTN in Canada, at least in eastern Canada, and all the various Eskimo (inuit) kids' cartoons are on in the morning. Yes, there's more than a couple.

Okay, that's just plain awesome, that is

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post

I watch that channel all the time!! Some VERY cool nature shows.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
          Cuando usted llama adentro, hay una opción clara para las llamadas de la lengua española. It' s la segunda opción. Si usted pararía el presionar de los botones al azar bastante tiempo para oír esta opción, usted conseguirá alguien que habla su lengua y será más que feliz de ayudarle. Don' t consigue enojado en mí porque you' re impaciente y can' t habla la lengüeta común de este país. Infierno, nosotros don' ¿la víspera de t tiene que ofrecer la línea, pero hacemos de todos modos, así que mate la actitud, autorización? Este gringo sabe bastante español para entender qué you' re refrán sobre él, amigo.
          awesome!
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

If they want <random ethnicity> channel they should switch to satellite, and pay out the nose for it like the other people do.

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz

awesome!
              Agreed. *snorts*
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                awesome!
                Thank you, babble fish!
                I mean, really, if you're going to be a button masher and then get all pissy becausse you didn't get where you wanted to go, and COULD have gone if you had just listened to the options in the first place? Sheer stupidity

Comment

Sooo....are you saying you're not going to cancel someone else's appointment so I can get my install earlier?

Seriously, though, I know what it is like having folks calling my department when they aren't able to get through to the correct one on the first go.

Comment

Quoth PatchO'Black View Post
                    Sooo....are you saying you're not going to cancel someone else's appointment so I can get my install earlier?

Seriously, though, I know what it is like having folks calling my department when they aren't able to get through to the correct one on the first go.
                    And then they pitch a fit because they have to hold again, more than likely longer than the first time, to go where they were supposed to in the first place.

Comment

My husband is on the other side of the workforce as a cable installer. He comes home with stories EVERY DAY. My hat goes off to you guys in cable, I couldn't do it.
                      Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                        Don't they realize that the corollary of cancelling someone else's appointment to get their install earlier is that if later, another customer with entitlement syndrome calls up, their appointment will be cancelled to get the other customer's install done earlier?
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I worked for Comcast internet tech on the phone for 6 months. That was a nightmare. So bad that I was having horrific nightmares of being physically tortured at work every night where I was being forced to sit on some kind of treadmill while they shot great big metal balls through us. I will NEVER work doing that job ever again.

So trust me, I feel your pain. Anyone that can manage to do that job for more than 6 months has the patience of a saint.

Comment

I've been here for 3 years now, and I love what I do. I'm actually thinking of moving into broadcasting doing radio or voiceovers if I can catch a break in the industry

Comment

Working...
                            X