This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the disability?

We had a woman come to the desk yesterday. She asked where the waffle batter was. Not realizing how late it was, I told her, and she said it wasn't there. Ronni*, the first shift desk person, mentioned that it was after 9, and Brad* (our Breakfast attendant) probably put stuff away.

This woman says that she has a handicapped person that it takes 3-hours to get ready, and they need to eat. I told her to talk to Brad, and see what he says (he
    s the one who has to clean it up).

She goes to our Breakfast area, and bangs on the kitchen door. Brad says he got there quickly, but no one was there.

Apparently, she was wheeling her patient down the hall, complaining about our "poor customer service". She then ran her patient into a wall. (witnessed by Terri*, our head housekeeper).

So, which one is disabled?

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

I pity the patient ..
    Last edited by Engmfj; 08-21-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Aren't breakfast hours usually posted or on the ticket when you check in? If she knew special accommodations were required, she could've called the night before or even during those 3 hours it took to get her patient ready. In typical SC fashion, she blamed the hotel for her lateness and for being mean to the disabled.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Aren't breakfast hours usually posted
        On a board right by the desk.

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

So, which one is disabled?
          They both are.

The difference is the woman's disability is by choice.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm a trained caretaker, and I have to wonder how it can take 3 hours to get someone ready in the morning If the patient really is that sick/disabled, I wouldn't think that he or she would be fit to travel? Honestly, to me it sounds like she's just using the poor patient as an excuse ..

Comment

Agree with Engmfj. I worked as a personal assistant all through college and for about a year afterwards. The hardest to take care of for me was a very tall guy with a lot of his weight in his stomach/thigh area, who was all dead weight (most of the people I worked for were either smaller, or could at least put some weight on their legs while I rotated them from bed to chair. He could have absolutely NO weight on his legs.). I ended up having to drop him as a client, because I just didn't have the physical strength to move him safely. (And he had no equipment to make that easier.)

But it still didn't take me 3 hours to get him bathed, dressed and in his chair with his mouth piece controls set up so he could move about himself.

Comment

Working...
              X