This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Registers, New Problems

It's been a while since I've posted last! Still working at that three-letter Texas grocery chain that everything's better at. And a few weeks ago, we just got brand-new registers! Cool, right? Well....there's a few problems.

This isn't a customer suck, but I don't really like the layout of them. The monitor has been placed somewhere completely new, and turning my head to it is causing neck strain, plus I have to look every few seconds otherwise I find out after the fact that I've scanned five things without attending to an error or have charged a customer twice for an item.

But aside from that! On with the show!

My printer! Not yours! MINE.

Okay, tell me if I'm being out of line here, but there's something the customers are doing now that I think is a bit rude.

We moved our receipt printer from right next to me where only I can reach it to right in front of me and also the customer. Usually I tear the receipt off, hand it to them and send them on their merry way. But now people are just reaching over and ripping them off themselves, mangling the paper in the machine, and sometimes ripping their own receipts right in half. Uh, why don't you let me handle that?

Gift cards are not that complex, people.

Right now we're having a kickass promotion where if you put money on our store gift card (there's no service charge either, you just pay whatever you want to put on it) and use it at the gas pumps, it takes off 11 cents per gallon of gas. We're doing it until Halloween and people are loving it. However, like with everything else, we've gotten some odd questions:

"So....can I use a VISA gift card instead of an HEB one?" (No, it only works with HEB. Besides, VISA charges you to activate it, why wouldn't you want the free one?)

"If I don't use the entire amount at once, what happens to the rest of it?" (It....stays on the card.)

Plus, people seem to get really angry about the fact that the cards are non-rechargable. Meaning you have to get a new one every time. Which really isn't that inconvienient, and we're not charging you for them anyway. What's the big deal?

My brain's trying to escape, you scared it.

So, this starts out as a typical transaction. Customer is friendly, nothing gets overscanned, she starts paying as normal. And then the transaction goes through, and she gets an odd look on her face.

"Why did that card go through?"

"I'm sorry?"

"I cancelled that card. Why did it go through?"

....why would you use a card that you cancelled? Am I missing something?

It's sad how many people I have to explain this to.

Dear customers,

We do you a favor and keep a lot of our coupons in-store. When you see something that needs a coupon, you need to bring us the coupon too, not just the item.

Yes, really.

No, we don't keep them all at the register.

Also, stop arguing with me when you see an item ring up $x.xx and you go "The sign said $xx!" The sign also says that it's after coupon. Say it with me. After coupon. It's not that complex. (Seriously, people have cancelled entire orders because it doesn't ring up that way on the main screen, even though they're getting it at that price anyway.)

Society is Doomed.

"Hi, can I get a bag of ice?"

"Sure, that'll be $x.xx."

"Where is it?"

"Over there by the other door."

"Oh god, never mind. I don't want to have to walk all the way down there."

END
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

First of all, off topic, but...your icon! It is epic! *bows to our lord and master, Foamy* Now...back on topic. 1) The local store here has the receipt printer where customers can grab the receipt. I've grabbed my own. Of course, I know to wait until it's done printing, and not grab it unless the cashier seems ok with it. 2) Yeah...Try adding a "no you can't pay for gift cards with checks" policy on top of that. Fun times, let me tell you! 3) Are you supposed to be psychic, or have some telepathic connection with her bank?? 4) I'm starting to like Foamy's "big pile of dead stupidity" more and more as I read things like this. Seriously. (If you don't know what I mean, watch the latest episode, called Reboot Button)
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

She.....tried to pay with a card that she claimed to have cancelled...??

Whhhyyyy????

This makes my brain go ouchy!!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Receipt printer -- short of putting up a clipboard or other obstruction, about all you can do is hover your hand over the receipt in such a way that cursetomers physically cannot do that. >_<

As for the credit card:...Isn't that Fraud on her part? o_O
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sheesh. Why not just bring it up first if the ice is needed so badly...that person needs to think more.
          Last edited by Tama; 08-22-2011, 01:35 AM.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
            three-letter Texas grocery chain that everything's better at.
            I've spent a lot of money in those stores when we used to visit SA/Corpus every year
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

I'm just going to guess that the SCs who rip their receipt demand a new one and look at you as if it was your fault?

Comment

Just be happy your register problems seem limited to minor ones.

Try having the register system, which ties in to several other systems used around the store, fart right in the middle of the day. Or not come up at all when the store opens.

Result: items not ringing up at sale prices, front-end staff needing to use a hand-held radio scanner to find out the correct prices of items and do overrides, said hand-held radio scanners being slow as hell, checks, debit and credit not being able to be run through.

Fun times. Not.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

In all fairness to the customers, I know that there are some card that either void after a set time (usually a year) even if there is still value on it - that may be what they were asking about in a roundabout way.

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
                    My printer! Not yours! MINE.

Okay, tell me if I'm being out of line here, but there's something the customers are doing now that I think is a bit rude.

We moved our receipt printer from right next to me where only I can reach it to right in front of me and also the customer. Usually I tear the receipt off, hand it to them and send them on their merry way. But now people are just reaching over and ripping them off themselves, mangling the paper in the machine, and sometimes ripping their own receipts right in half. Uh, why don't you let me handle that?
                    The supermarket near me has printers in a similar place. Some cashiers leave you to grab your own receipt, others put their hands over it before it prints out. Do you think this might work for you?

Plus, people seem to get really angry about the fact that the cards are non-rechargable. Meaning you have to get a new one every time. Which really isn't that inconvienient, and we're not charging you for them anyway. What's the big deal?
                    Cause there's always unusable money left on the card. A little annoying, sure, but not the end of the world. That or they don't want to kill the environment with endless streams of plastics when rechargable cards would save some trees?

Now I'm going to join in confusion as to why you would use a cancelled card.
                    My first thought is that she was testing it so that her next shopping spree she can try to walk off before the transaction's gone though.

Comment

In response to the cancelled card, I don't know why it would go through, but as for using it...if she just cancelled it and it's a force of habit to use that card, I can understand why she used it. Just like for me, my main bank account is a checking. But when I use my other card, maybe once every 6 months, it's savings. Without fail, I hit checking out of habit and put my PIN in, before I realize what I'm doing.

Comment

One would hope that, when a credit card is cancelled, the very first thing you do after hanging up the phone is to cut the card up into several pieces >_>
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X