X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the Laws of Nature

Or something like that.

Not terribly sucky, mostly irritating as heck, but I just had a 20 minute discussion with a client explaining why the super tiny thumbnail picture he wanted in his logo...has to remain super tiny. We are talking, an image 30% smaller than the avatars on this forum.

Originally he was asking me to give him a "huge logo" for his site. I was like, uh, no, not going to happen with that image that you specifically requested MUST be in your logo. He complained, saying "its big on my screen". Well, no, not really, and on top of that, screen size =/= printed size. I tried to explain picture DPI (standard document print is 72 dpi, pictures *should* be 300 dpi....the image he gave me was 57.....) and how his would look terrible any larger than it was now.

20 minutes later, after trying to get through about this, and thinking it finally sank in...he goes "well, send me a transparent one so I can at least get it made into a nice bumper sticker."

Last edited by Seraph; 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

I have had people who were essentially graphic designers pull stuff like this with me. People who should know better.

And then turn around and ARGUE with me about it.

Comment

I'm a wannabe graphic designer. I have done lots of projects for people who have no idea that I can't work with the tiny little photos they send me. Currently I'm working with a guy who is trying to send me a banner ad image and for some reason he can't figure out how to attach it in its proper size on his Mac (he told me the Mac part)...instead it keeps appearing at the bottom of his e-mail as an image that is totally the wrong size and out of proportion too. Agh.
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

BTDT -- That may be his email program or website. I know Outlook will "helpfully offer" to resize ALL images to "web friendly size" (meaning, small, low res) when you send an email; if he has dismissed this prompt in the past, it would not surprise me if it now does it by default to ALL "attached" images. I suspect this mainly because you say that the dimensions are wrong -- auto-resizing/web-friendly resizing is notorious for this. Have him put it into a ZIP/RAR/Tarball and see if if comes across un-warped.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          BTDT -- That may be his email program or website. I know Outlook will "helpfully offer" to resize ALL images to "web friendly size" (meaning, small, low res) when you send an email; if he has dismissed this prompt in the past, it would not surprise me if it now does it by default to ALL "attached" images. I suspect this mainly because you say that the dimensions are wrong -- auto-resizing/web-friendly resizing is notorious for this. Have him put it into a ZIP/RAR/Tarball and see if if comes across un-warped.
          Yeah, and I'm using Outlook so between the two I'm sure it's just a complete mess Someone else within their organization sent me another couple of banners yesterday, and he actually attached them so they were "right" but not for our needs. I have told them several times the banners need to be either 234x60 or (as most people now choose) 468x60...his were much bigger. Even if I resized the height down to 60 the width was way too high so I had to ask him to try AGAIN. I guess they're new at this. Hey, I should ask if they want to pay me to design a banner for them
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
          X