This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    BTW: Kangaroo meat is also both healthy and delicious!
    I wouldn't know. The US won't allow it to be imported even as pet food.

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Eating "cheval" is perfectly legal in the US, it's just frowned upon.
    Not everywhere. California's got enough bleeding hearts that it was voted illegal to sell horses for food.

Quoth Moirae View Post
    Its just venison. Mind you, venison and buffalo are both too wild for me. And I can't bring myself to eat Ostrich.
    All three tend to be a bit more strongly-flavored that people are accustomed to. It's a shame that Fuddruckers isn't doing ostrich burgers any more. Then again, I'm pretty much sold on the wild boar, so I guess in my case it doesn't much matter.

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
    I hate venison, haven't tried buffalo and don't really want to.
    Buffalo is a lot closer to beef than venison. It's like it has more flavor per square inch than beef does and none of the fat. I don't know how to explain it any better than that.

Quoth TowelKing View Post
    but why veal?
    Wikipedia has a pretty good article on why many people won't be a party to the veal situation.

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
    Huh, the veal from where I grew up got to play in the field, and go for walks on leashes (on the side of the road even, like a dog) and were kept for almost half a year.
    The article I linked explains the different types of veal, with times of slaughter ranging anywhere from days after birth to around 6 months.

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
    The one that will blow everyone's mind that I've never tried? Lamb. My mother doesn't like it, says it's too greasy and she just doesn't like the taste, so I wouldn't even have the first idea how to cook it now if I got ahold of some.
    I can't stand lamb. I had goat as a kid (pun unintentional), but don't remember what it was like.

I don't like duck, either. Can't stand that much grease in my meat.

Quoth Bandit View Post
    Emu and ostrich - well they taste like a rich chicken.
    I generally think they're closer to wild turkey.

Quoth Geek King View Post
    There was a biologist, whose name I can't come up with right now, who proffered that the fastest way to save a species was to allow the farming [ranching] of it.
    No kidding. Cattle is a lousy and inefficient source of food and if people didn't have money-making effort tied to cows, they'd probably be endangered by now. I'm not sure this would necessarily be a bad thing since there are more efficient and downright better ways to get the things we currently get from cows.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

cheval - I recall hearing something about that awhile back, (along with a side article about pricing at the time -- Horse meat in the US: a quarter a pound. The exact same meat as cheval in a nice restaurant in France: the equivalent of 20 dollars a pound...) but I didn't see anything when I looked it up this time. I wouldn't eat it either way.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Clover View Post
        Now that just sounds epically delicious. I'll have to give it a go sometime, even if I'm really not a person who eats lamb.
        Tweak it to suit, we like loads of garlic =)

You can also roll the lamb back up into a rolled roast and do it in a roasting pan, you can stuff the rolled lamb lump with all sorts of stuff like premade long grain and wild rice pilaf with chopped walnuts and rasins.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          Tweak it to suit, we like loads of garlic =)

You can also roll the lamb back up into a rolled roast and do it in a roasting pan, you can stuff the rolled lamb lump with all sorts of stuff like premade long grain and wild rice pilaf with chopped walnuts and rasins.
          I love loads of garlic too, so no problem there. XD I'm known for eating raw garlic cloves, particularly if they're fresh from a patch of wild garlic that grows around our fig tree. Those things ROCK. The figs aren't bad either, when we can get to them before the birds do.

Comment

That guy was nuts. Yes, you could say elk are majestic but that's got nothing to do with whether people eat something or not! I love seeing deer in the wild, but I also like venison.

Re: horsemeat, way back in the 70's horsemeat became trendy for a while due to high prices for other meat. My mom wouldn't buy any and I don't think I could have eaten it. They used to use it in dog food, too.

But you never know what you'll eat if you're ever in a really bad situation where food is scarce, and I pray I never have to find out.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              But you never know what you'll eat if you're ever in a really bad situation where food is scarce, and I pray I never have to find out.
              QFT. If it were a choice between "pet" meat (like cheval) and nothing, well... I'd go for it. I just hope I never have to make that choice.
              Last edited by EricKei; 08-25-2011, 11:13 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth Seshat
                BTW: Kangaroo meat is also both healthy and delicious!
                Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                I wouldn't know. The US won't allow it to be imported even as pet food.
                I blame that on the great Californian "OMG Jack in the Box uses Kangaroo meat in its burgers!!1!eleventy " Scare of 1981. Fun times...
                Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Crocodile is tasty....so is goldfish. At least, hubby knows what goldfish tastes like, he says it's pretty good, like a cross between bluegill, carp, and catfish. Probably depends on what you feed it.
                  Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                  http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I've had alligator before. Done well, it's pretty good! ^_^ Besides, I have no compunction against eating an animal that would return the favor, had it been given the chance...

Comment

Bison is very tasty indeed. *slurp*

I've had fried alligator tail...it's much like fried anything else...a little on the chewy side (like fried calamari, fried conch, etc.).
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Including the majestic møøse A Møøse once bit my sister ... No realli!
                        She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

<<<HUGE apologies to Monty Python>>>

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                          I plan to eat at least one member of every animal species before I die. I'm always on the look out for game dinners at lodges and clubs.
                          PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Speaking of PETA, have any of you seen that horrifying PETA knock-off of Cooking Mama where you pluck a turkey and whatnot and then make a tofurkey?
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

As a longtime vegetarian who is... lapsing a little bit these days... I really hate these people who stick up for animal welfare but only SOME animals. The prettier ones, the more majestic ones? The ugly stupid ones are just as capable of feeling pain. He's missed the point of eating ethically.

I would be more likely to draw the lines along vertebrate/invertebrate, or factory-farmed/free-range. I mean, free-range has its own problems, ranch cattle can destroy native flora and fauna on huge levels. Maybe I'd be more likely to eat wild game than farmed meat, just because it was raised with less environmental destruction and had a happier life than a pig that lived in a dark shed crammed with other pigs and their poop.

Re: venison: I did eat it once when I was a kid, and damn, it was tasty. :P

Re: tofurky: also surprisingly tasty...

Comment

Anyone else feel like watching "Rock-a-Doodle?"
                                "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Working...
                                X