This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small collection

This is a collection of stories from the last couple of weeks. I haven't felt the need to make any threads on SC's as of late since it's usually the normal, everyday variety. These...these are just the special cases that happened over the last month or so.

Let me use another coupon!!!

Random Craft Store's policy on coupons is one per day per customer, it's always been like that but the head office has been coming down on the stores in the past year. We HAVE to abide by the policy a bit more strictly, I honestly don't care for the added strictness but I can only do what I'm told. There are a few customers that management WILL make an exception for, I know off hand of one guy that management will not hesatate to give a discount to since he's always in to buy model cars.

Two ladies were buying some stuff for a charity, the things were small and couldn't be more then a few dollars each at the most. Their totals didn't come out to more then $50 with the two transactions they did, so when it came to pay for the third transaction they handed me a third coupon. I couldn't take it since both of them had already used a coupon, I asked the ASM if they could and she shot the idea down. I relay what I was told, one of the ladies tore into me and said that no one would know -- which, at that point, I smiled and pointed to the camera pointed directly at the first three registers.

Me: Head offices have access to our camera feeds, I could get in big trouble if I didn't do what the ASM just told me to do.
    SC: Well it's for a charity, it IS a third person. *waves card*
    Me: Unless there's someone else to go with that card that's present, as you both have already used a coupon and your own cards, then I can't take it.

She didn't like it, the other lady just said to drop it as it wasn't worth the $.75, and they paid and left. Yes, she got all huffy over less then a dollar -- I understand it was for a charity, but I can only do what my bosses and their bosses tell me to do.

My husband just died!!!

Lady comes through my line, it's not a busy night but it's been steady off and on. It's about an hour before closing, customer comes in line but she isn't all talkitive which is fine by me as I'm not either when I'm on a register. Get to the end of the transaction and....she askes for a coupon, as she didn't have one. I tell her I can't do that as the store doesn't any extra ads outside the ones at the register that don't have the coupons and we have no extras.

Then she says that her husband just died three weeks before, she needs one. Okay, look: I understand losing your husband is hard and you're still well into the grief stage, but using it as a way to get a coupon? No, just no; I still did not give her one, after my brain rebooted. She was fine up until this point, I understood why she wasn't so talkitive, but she just got all cold and nasty after I turned her down two more times. The customers behind her were even looking at her even though they hadn't been there when she told me about her husband, as the lady left after snatching her bad and nearly backing into the two customers behind her. They asked what her problem was, and I just shrugged and helped them.

As a note: I don't mean to take the death of a loved one lightly, I know personally it's not a good feeling, but please don't use it to get what you want.

Cut this ribbon for me!!!

This happened two weeks ago, I was closing with one of my favorite managers and we were about a half hour before closing. We were in the floral department, I was helping the manager sweep up around the area and was talking to her as I was going back up front to get the rest of my returns. A guy comes up to me, hands me a spool of ribbon by the yard [customers can either buy this ribbon by the yard or the entire spool, usually by the yard ranges from $.55 to $6.50 a yard or $18 and up for the entire spool], he wants a yard and started to walk off. He didn't tell me where he was going, he didn't say he'd be right back, there where no please's, no thank you's, just put it in my hands, told me what he wanted, and started to walk away.

I stopped him, handed the spool back, and told him to go up front when he checked out to do it as I had no way of relaying the information to the cashier. Which was all a lie, as I could've done it but the way he said it and the way he was acting I wasn't going to do jack shit for someone like that. If you want me to help you do something, be nice about it -- then I'll do what I can to help you. Don't know if he got it done at the register or not, didn't matter anyways -- the manager just rolled her eyes at the guy, since she was right behind me when it happened.

That's the most riddiculous thing I've ever heard!!!

Another ribbon story, but this one happened this past Monday.

I'm closing again, the first of three nights this week, I'm in beading, which is directly across from where all of the ribbon is at and is my favorite section in the store [as a bonus, any of my co-workers that needs to know something about beading they'll come to me -- 98% of the time, I have the answer to the question]. Customer and her son come up to me with about six or seven spools of ribbon, all of which are sold by the spool. She wants only a yard of each, I tell her that she has to buy the entire spool as it only sold like that and the spools have three to seven yards each. At $3.99 for each spool she has, and about three yards on it, it's a decent deal if you only need one or two spools of a color.

She thought it was the most stupidest thing she had ever heard, buying an entire spool of ribbon for four dollars, and walked away. I shrugged it off and went about my cleaning/wanting to buy more beads [wishful thinking there]. But really -- it's not like buying spools of ribbon is a new concept or anything, I know it's a pain to buy a full spool for only a yard but that's the way the thing is set up.

I'm calling coorperate!!!

This happened tonight right before the ASM went home and is the last story for this post, she actually helped the customer as I was on register the entire night. Customer wanted something in the cake supplies, she was told the day before that there was one more left and wanted it. That's fine, I couldn't get off the register long enough to help so I called the ASM over to those aisles to help the customer. About five minutes later the customer is storming out, saying she's going to call our head offices and that she KNOWS there are secret shoppers out there that come to our store and she hopes we get in trouble.

Okay, so I ask ASM what's going on once I get my line down. Turns out that the customer was told we had one of the items she was looking for and wanted to get it yesterday, but no one could find what she wanted. She came back tonight to see if anyone found it, had a fit when we couldn't locate it, and snapped at the ASM that, hey, you're being rude and nasty because she couldn't get her the thing that was so important. I understand her frustration, I really do, but I also understand how quickly things can be sold. In the last two days I, personally, have sold at least $3,000 in cake and art supplies, if not more. It is not anyone
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Wow, sometimes, I can't believe people.

The woman with the dead husband. Did she think you were going to say:
    "I'm sorry your husband died ma'am. Please help yourself to anything in the store."

And sucky customers abound. Paying 4 dollars for a reel doesn't sound so bad!! Then, they will have spare beading for the future. Really, how much was she hoping to pay?

What gets me about all of the SCs you mentioned is that they get bent out of shape for 75 cents, a couple of bucks here and there. Is it worth any of that?
    There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Might be playing Devil's Advocate here, but how do you know the woman in the second story had actually lost her husband? She could have just been saying it to get a discount after all.
      If somebody tells me something tragic as a means to get something cheaper/for free, I tend to take it with a very large pinch of salt.
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

What gets me about all of the SCs you mentioned is that they get bent out of shape for 75 cents, a couple of bucks here and there. Is it worth any of that?
        sure, if you're a cheapskate

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
          Might be playing Devil's Advocate here, but how do you know the woman in the second story had actually lost her husband? She could have just been saying it to get a discount after all.
          If somebody tells me something tragic as a means to get something cheaper/for free, I tend to take it with a very large pinch of salt.
          I was thinking the same thing, actually, but didn't want to question it. It's the same with anyone who tells me something in order to get a discount: I can't know if they're telling the truth unless I can verify it.

And I've always seem to get the ones that get out of shape over $2 or less for getting discounts with coupons. I very RARELY get those who spend hundreds and get highly offended that I don't have a coupon to help them.
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
          X