Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speak ENGLISH to Me, Please (plus bonus from the past)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone speaks Spanish in America? That would be a surprise to the Somalian and Middle Eastern immigrants around here...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't speak Spanish...oh wait, I do..."No Habla Espanol"
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Everyone speaks Spanish in America? That would be a surprise to the Somalian and Middle Eastern immigrants around here...
        And to the very large number of Mandarin speakers here. Kindergartens offer Spanish and Mandarin as full-immersion classes.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
          And to the very large number of Mandarin speakers here. Kindergartens offer Spanish and Mandarin as full-immersion classes.
          Ye gods am I jealous.

I didn't actually start learning a language (Spanish) until HS, and I never did actually learn it. I would love to have been put into a language immersion class that young. Admittedly, Canto would have been better for me (East Coast).

Comment

Hell, several of the the Hispanics I work with don't even speak Spanish.

At one point we had three salespeople, all with very Hispanic names, and not a single one of them knew any Spanish at all. However, unbeknownst to even most of the employees, the old boss, a very European Jewish man, did.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Everyone in America speaks Spanish?

Huh, I'm 44 years old, lived here all my life, and I totally did not know that!

<end sarcasm>

And Kisa's customer demonstrates for the class, again, the amazing capacity of people to find new and improved ways to be difficult.

And, class, I've asked people like this the question, "Has anybody you're running this little game on ever, ever, EVER looked at you at the end of your little spiel and said, 'You know, you're right, stores should totally offer free pants with every purchase (or whatever their weird little focus is)! I'm calling the Chairman of the Board now!' No? Or does everybody look at you like you're an idiot?"

Cue indignation. "WELL! I am just trying to make a point!"

Cue sad-bear look, "Or you're just being a jackhole to someone whose job prevents him or her from reaching out and bitch-slapping you for being a jackhole. That's moral courage."

People are funny. Our world is doomed. Enjoy the show.
              I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
              X