Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't ya understand? I wants me a tire!

Fax comes in from a motor club, customer in need of service. I have a make, model, color and location. So far so good. Then I realize this call is going to be headache-central, under "tow destination" the customer requested "Closest place that can get a tire installed immediately" That's going to be a problem for 2 reasons, first, he broke down out on the interstate at mile marker "BFE" if you get my drift, and second, it's a quarter past 9 in the evening, there is NOBODY open at that hour that can do any kind of auto repair. Well, thinking happy thoughts I call the number and put on my best customer-service voice.

-Hi, this is Argabarga from Friendly Neighborhood Towing, I understand you have a vehicle in need of a tow?
    -Well, yeah, I need ya'll ta' tow to the closest place that can get me a tire tonight.
    -Well sir, there's nobody out where you are who is open right now. You'd probably have to be towed to at least the next town where there's a place called Rich's garage, they might be able to help you in the morning, if not, you can go to the next exit down where Regional Tire is, I know they sell tires, I've dropped people off there before
    -What about you guys? Can I get a tire from you?
    -I know we sell them, but you'd have to talk to our service department in the morning and see if they can set you up with something, they went home at 5:30.
    -No, I mean tonight
    -Unfortunately, no.
    -I don't need a new tire, just bring me something you got that's used
    -Sir, I have no way of doing that for you tonight, the best I can do is tow you off the road to someplace safer than the side of the freeway where they can help you in the morning.
    -Gawd! You all are just as bad as that dumb-ass woman from the motor club! She didn't get it either! I don't WANNA tow unless it's someplace where they can get me a tire tonight! I don't wanna wait until morning Understand? I'm not from around here! And I don't wanna stay here tonight! You understand?! I just need a tire!
    -There's no way I can get you one tonight sir
    -You can bring me one lousy tire?!
    -No sir, I do not have access to tires or a means to install them on a rim and bring them to you.
    -How about one of your buddies?! They got any tires? Most guys who drive wreckers have friends who got junk cars lyin' around! Call one of them and see if they'll sell me one!
    -I don't know anyone who does that sir
    -You don't know anyone who has a used tire?! I just need one!
    - No sir, I do not, as I've stated before the closest places I can think of that will be able to help are Rich's garage which is at the next exit East from where you are, and if they don't have any, then I'd try Regional Tire Company at the next exit.
    -But they ain't open now, are they?!
    -I don't imagine so
    -Well that aint' gonna help now is it?! Don't you understand? I don't wanna stay in this town tonight! I'm from out of state, and I just want a tire so I can get on my way!
    -Sir, I understand exactly what you're saying, but, I have no way to get you one tonight, and neither does anyone else in this area until the morning. Now, the closest two locations that I know of that can get you a tire are either 1 or 2 exits from where you are right now, and I can have a truck to you in about 30 minutes (and I can HEAR the 18 wheelers whizzing by this guy, he's probably pacing up and down the shoulder in the dark, not the safest place to be even IF you have your reflective vest on like I usually do) and we can at least get you to a safer place than where it sounds like you are now.
    -But that won't help me! I need a tire now! And you're sayin' you can't just go down to your junkyard and get a tire?!
    -I don't have a junkyard sir
    -What?! You can't just take a tire off one of the wrecks you got? I know you got at least one wrecked car there! Guys who drive tow trucks always have wrecked cars around!
    - I do, and I'm not allowed to remove anything from them, so there's no way I can do that either.
    -FINE! So this place at the next exit, they open?
    -Probably not until the morning
    -How about a junkyard? THEY GOT ONE AT THAT TOWN?!
    -Not that I know of
    -FINE! Just send the guy out! *CLICK*

So I did, and as soon as my driver left the station, the redneck's motor club called back to tell us he canceled the call. Wonder if he ever did get his tire? Oh well, if anyone sees a 99' Dodge Caravan, silver in color, rolling down the road and shooting sparks from a bare metal rim, you can tell the driver "thanks for nothing" for us.
    Last edited by Argabarga; 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Did he owe someone in town money or something?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Yes, because yelling at the tow operator is really going to get you that all-elusive tire at o'dark-thirty.

Seriously, where was his spare?
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Sweet jumping jebus, hasn't he heard of *SPARE TIRE*? we not only have the full sized spare in the tire well, we toss in one of the stupid donut spares that we have hanging around as well.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Don't you know that all the businesses should alter the times they stay open to fit this all important person? I mean, the world should revolve around him..right?
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Damn, I mean, I understand his frustration. I'd be friggen upset if I had gotten any kind of car problems in the middle of nowhere at night, but I wouldn't expect AAA to wave a magic wand and give me immediate service. I would simply ask for a tow to a service station and possibly some kind of courtesy ride to a hotel or something.

But, yeah, for this particular situation, I'd be kicking myself in the crotch for forgetting about a spare tire. Knowing this guy, though, he probably does have a spare and just doesn't know it. I'd love to see his face if that were true and the tire guy told him the next day. That would make my day.
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

He should try being stuck in the middle of nowhere Canada, 5 miles from the nearest bison herd (charged my truck), 2 from the last bear you saw (tried to run under hubbys), with a broken u-joint, at 0230. What did we do? Pull the rear, cap it as best we could, and go in 4 low to Chetwynd BC. That was fun, I ended up being up/driving for 40 hours straight. The border guard "strongly advised" I find someplace to sleep, SOON.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                -Gawd! You all are just as bad as that dumb-ass woman from the motor club! She didn't get it either! I don't WANNA tow unless it's someplace where they can get me a tire tonight! I don't wanna wait until morning Understand? I'm not from around here! And I don't wanna stay here tonight! You understand?! I just need a tire!
                -Oh you don't want a tow? Well thank you for calling sir, have a good night.
                It makes sense.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  Sweet jumping jebus, hasn't he heard of *SPARE TIRE*?
                  If the '99 Caravans were like the '89 version that my parents owned...accessing the spare was a pain in the ass. On ours, it rode just ahead of the bumper, and was held in place by some sort of hand-crank mechanism. Since the tire was outside, it was usually covered in all sorts of mud and grime. Putting it back was a pain as well--since it usually required two people to hold the spare, and crank it into place. After having to deal with that one too many times in the rain...the tire sometimes rode in the 'cargo area' behind the third row of seats

Speaking of having to change a tire on that thing... I remember one tire shop telling my dad that because the vehicles were so popular (remember, this was the early 1990s, before SUVs took off), tire shops couldn't keep the tires in stock
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I would have told him something along the line of:
                    You've got 2 choices.
                    1) Take a tow and wait 'til morning for your tire.
                    2) Stay there and sleep in your car, then in the morning have someone tow you to get your tire.

Either way, you're waiting until morning. Are you a vampire?
                    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                      Either way, you're waiting until morning. Are you a vampire?
                      homo sanguinus should always travel with a homo sapiens companion just in case of this sort of emergency. Also, a light-tight sleeping compartment.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth SpaceCore View Post
                        -Oh you don't want a tow? Well thank you for calling sir, have a good night.
                        I think that would get Argabara in trouble with the motor club. Not every tow company is on their list, and they probably get a lot of business from them.

But I second the motion on the spare tire.

Of course, he could have blow out more than one.

I once broke down in Pennsylvania (not a tire issue, alternator), way out in the country, on a weekend. Local shop didn't have the part I needed; it had to be ordered from Baltimore. This was on a Saturday. Monday, part didn't arrive. I missed an awards ceremony where I was supposed to get an award.

Was I upset? Yes. Did I take it out on the very nice guy who was fixing my car?

Hell no! He had no control over delivery of a part.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and stick it out in BFE for a day or two. Didn't kill me. Won't kill this guy.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This always ALWAYS happens after the garages have closed. Even Walmart's tire center closes at 9pm. Most of the time they don't tell us they NEED a tire until after the driver already arrived. My drivers don't do tire changes on the turnpike, too risky.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            homo sanguinus should always travel with a homo sapiens companion just in case of this sort of emergency. Also, a light-tight sleeping compartment.
                            It is always a good idea to bring snacks on a journey
                            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                              It is always a good idea to bring snacks on a journey
                              Food that talks is not food!

Comment

Working...
                              X