This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar Phone Numbers and Crazy People

Okay, so first I need to give you a bit of background. My fiance got a huge promotion at work which involved us relocating. Luckily, the store where I work as a pharmacy tech has locations in the new city and they allowed me to transfer. That's basically it, but the fact that I've moved is important because this situation involves our new phone number.

There is a local company that is selling an exciting product. They recently mailed out a brochure about this product and there is quite a bit of interest. I learned of the whole thing because I've received a few calls about it. I discovered why today with a bit of a Google search. My new telephone number is 555-1320. this companies telephone number is 1-800-555-1320. (Not the real number obviously, but you get what's going on.)

I can tell from the missed call list that literally dozens of people have called my home phone during the day while I'm at work. Most of them simply hung up once they hear my recorded message and realize they called the wrong number. But a few people have actually left messages about the product. One older man actually left his credit card number on my machine!

I don't understand how people can be so careless! My message is clear enough that a normal person would realize that they've called a private residence and not a business.

I am not going to return calls to people and tell them that they called the wrong number and I'm not going to change my answering machine message to state that I am not the company they meant to call. If I get any nasty calls from people who are mad because they weren't called back, I'm going to tell them how stupid they are.

Am I handling this right? I don't see it as my responsibility to set anyone straight if they can't dial a phone number correctly. Should I call the company and let them know what's going on? I don't see any of it as my responsibility, but I thought I'd get your opinions.

I think so, yeah. It's not your fault they can't figure out how TOLL FREE area codes work >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My phone number is pretty close to what used to be the traveller's aid number at DTW. I don't know how many calls I would get. Some people would just go into their spiel. Most weren't sucky, although when I said, "this is not the airport", I had one person say,"are you sure?". To which I said,"let me look....yup no planes, pretty sure this is not an airport.". And then I hung up.

Comment

Once, I had this number calling me every couple days, but they never left a message. I figured if I ignored them enough, they would realize they may have make a mistake and stop calling me. They didn't. So I finally got tired of being called 10 times in a row and picked up.

Me: Hel-
        Guy: JANET!! DAMMIT JANET WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!!!?!!!
        Me: I-
        GUY: I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT! YOU STOOD ME UP YOU FUCKIN BITCH!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!!
        Me: Actually, I'm not Janet. I'm Kisa. You have the wrong number. Please stop calling me.
        Guy: ......Oh.......*click*

Another time, I kept getting calls from a car insurance company telling me I needed to renew my insurance. I was 15 at the time and didn't have a license, let alone a car. After the 100th robotic message, I picked up and connected to a person.

Lady: Hello this is Mary. How may I assist you?
        Me: Hi, I've been getting calls from your company saying I need to renew my insurance.
        Lady: Mrs. Peterson? Let me pull up your account so we can get that started.
        Me: I'm not Mrs. Peterson. I answered because I wanted to tell you to take my number off the calling list.
        Lady: This is the number on the file. Did you just get this number?
        Me: No. This number belonged to my mother for 6 years and I've had it for 2 years. So unless this company hasn't called her in over 8 years, there is a mistake on the file. Please stop calling me.
        Lady: Are you SURE you're not Mrs. Peterson?
        Me: Mam, I am a 15 year old girl who doesn't have a car or a license or a husband. Yes, I am VERY sure I am not and never was Mrs. Peterson. Take my number off the file and STOP. CALLING. ME.
        Lady: Oh........It's off. Bye. *click*
        Answers: $1
        Correct Answers: $2
        Answers that require thought: $5
        Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Pull some Jabooody Dubs style fun stuff.

BILLY MAYS here with a FANTASTIC new product.

It's called the (spoof name of so called product) and it's going to make your life so much better.

Take it from there..
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I know you do not want to change your answering machine message, but I think it would be a good idea to include a statement that you are not the company nor someone selling the product, and if the caller wants that company, the caller needs to dial the 800 number. If nothing else, it might save you you from a few calls regarding the company, and those who know you will get a kick out of the message and the novelty of your situation.

I get confused with a professor at a local university who shares my last name. His number is unlisted, so his students call me even though our first names are not the same. My message states clearly that I am not he and any calls for him will not be forwarded or returned. It cut down greatly the number of inane ramblings I had to hear.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Am I right in assuming this is a short term thing? If I were you I'd just ride it out and ignore the calls. Wouldn't respond to them either - a bunch of them will dial the right number the next time around and won't even notice, some of them will just forget, others will call you back on their own. The less time you spend dealing with others' mistakes, the better.
              Mostly I'm worried about the guy that left his CC details with you. I *really* don't want to come on here next month and read about you being accused of CC fraud by an idiot who throws his details about carelessly. But that's probably just me being paranoid, so don't mind me.

For changing your answering machine message, I'd say no. You said it's pretty clear it's a residence - they're already not listening to your message, I'm just concerned that hearing the company's name will do little more than reaffirm their belief you are the company. We all already know about customers and selective hearing.

If it's something that's going to last a while, though, I'd definitely change my number. >_<

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                Me: Hel-
                Guy: JANET!! DAMMIT JANET WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!!!?!!!
                Me: I-
                GUY: I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT! YOU STOOD ME UP YOU FUCKIN BITCH!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!!
                Me: Actually, I'm not Janet. I'm Kisa. You have the wrong number. Please stop calling me.
                Guy: ......Oh.......*click*
                In this case, I suspect Janet gave your number (probably pulled the digits out of her head on the fly) to some loser who wouldn't stop bugging her about a date.

In the OP's case, it really depends on how much he relies on that number for communicating. If he does, then I second the suggestion to change his VM message.

If not, and he doesn't mind just deleting through messages, then leave it alone. It should taper off . . . eventually.

However, having said that, I did have a number once (shortly after moving to a new apartment) where I continued to get calls for a particular woman THREE YEARS after I'd gotten the number. They were usually collection calls (though for the first year I'd get almost daily calls about her truant son from the school system). In her case, she clearly was continuing to give her old phone number to creditors so she could dodge the dunning calls freely.

The calls stopped only when I moved to my current address (hence getting a new phone number).

I keep my landline for 911 services, and because I have to for my DSL service. Most of my friends or work call me on my cell phone which is actually my primary line. But having that second number to give to people I really don't want to talk to is a nice feature of the land line
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Well, clearly it is your responsibility to change your message.

I mean, toll-free numbers have only been around since, oh, 1967.

I mean, we can't expect people to keep up with every new piece of technology...<snerk>

<snerk>

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha! Hoo, almost got that out.

Seriously, if people aren't listening to your answering machine message ("You've reached RxBoy, I'm not home, leave a message?" Something like that?) then f*ck 'em, not your problem. You've told them who you are, and if they didn't catch that arcane bit of knowledge, then they're not worth your time.

And do not ever feel sorry for somebody and call them back! They'll blame YOU for the mixup, and refuse to believe you. Which is fun the first three or four times ("Seriously, I am not your parole officer!" -Good times.) but starts to wear thin after a while.
                  I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

You have an answering machine, and they leave a message still thinking you're a business, calling them won't help. They don't listen.

I don't see how this puts any sort of obligation on you.

The guy that left his number on your answering machine, him I'd call just because I personally know how it is to have older folks in the family that do harmful things to themselves. And gently tell him that is not something he needs to be doing. Older people sometimes don't realize they shouldn't do that.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                      I know you do not want to change your answering machine message, but I think it would be a good idea to include a statement that you are not the company nor someone selling the product, and if the caller wants that company, the caller needs to dial the 800 number. If nothing else, it might save you you from a few calls regarding the company, and those who know you will get a kick out of the message and the novelty of your situation.
                      I think the majority of the people are realizing their mistake once they hear my message. While I'm getting a few messages meant for this company, there are literally dozens of missed calls when I scroll through my caller ID list. This tells me that most people are just hanging up once they hear my message. I'm not getting enough messages to be annoyed, at least not yet.

Quoth Carsomyr View Post
                      Am I right in assuming this is a short term thing? If I were you I'd just ride it out and ignore the calls....Mostly I'm worried about the guy that left his CC details with you. I *really* don't want to come on here next month and read about you being accused of CC fraud by an idiot who throws his details about carelessly. But that's probably just me being paranoid, so don't mind me.
                      No, this is an established company that has been around for years. I think the error is happening just because my number is a new listing. And yes, I do think you are being a bit paranoid about the credit card fraud thing.

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                      Well, clearly it is your responsibility to change your message.

I mean, toll-free numbers have only been around since, oh, 1967.

I mean, we can't expect people to keep up with every new piece of technology...<snerk>

<snerk>

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha! Hoo, almost got that out.

Seriously, if people aren't listening to your answering machine message ("You've reached RxBoy, I'm not home, leave a message?" Something like that?) then f*ck 'em, not your problem. You've told them who you are, and if they didn't catch that arcane bit of knowledge, then they're not worth your time.
                      Yes, that's exactly what my message says. It says "Hello, you have reached RxBoy and Fiance. We're not available right now. If you have a message for us, please leave it after the tone." I don't see how anyone could mistake that for a business.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      You have an answering machine, and they leave a message still thinking you're a business, calling them won't help. They don't listen.

I don't see how this puts any sort of obligation on you.

The guy that left his number on your answering machine, him I'd call just because I personally know how it is to have older folks in the family that do harmful things to themselves. And gently tell him that is not something he needs to be doing. Older people sometimes don't realize they shouldn't do that.
                      I think I will. I'll have to think about how to word it so I don't sound like I'm lecturing him.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                        I know you do not want to change your answering machine message, but I think it would be a good idea to include a statement that you are not the company nor someone selling the product, and if the caller wants that company, the caller needs to dial the 800 number.
                        It won't help. People don't listen anymore than they read signs.

I had the same problem when I was in my first apartment. I kept getting all kinds of messages for people who didn't live there. I ended up changing my message to something like, "This is Mike. I'm not available right now. If you're trying to reach Mike, leave a message and I'll get back to you. If you're trying to call someone other than Mike, you probably have the wrong number." And I'd still find messages that said something like, "Hi, this message is for (name other than Mike.) This is so-and-so, give me a call as soon as you get this."

I also get quite a few wrong numbers at my job from people wanting to advertise in some newspaper. I finally got around to googling it just a few minutes ago, and found out their number is the same as mine if you transpose the first two digits. Like the OP, I never felt obligated to waste my time in calling these people back and setting them straight. I don't have time to chase down every wrong number at work, and most of these are from other area codes. I'm not allowed to make long-distance calls on my work phone, and I'm not going to waste my cell phone minutes on these people.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                          In her case, she clearly was continuing to give her old phone number to creditors so she could dodge the dunning calls freely.
                          Not usually. The credit agencies will update outdated information when not all of them have the same info and they cross-contaminate one another. Plus, when a debt is sold, the new holder will often call the number that was associated with the original debt, then work forward, which is really annoying when someone decides to walk away from years of debt and ignore it and the people buying the debts don't do their homework on collectibility before calling.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                          I keep my landline for 911 services, and because I have to for my DSL service.
                          Most DSL will provide dry loop service (although if your local phone service is provide by Verizon, they'll make problems for the ISP because they're jerks like that), but I keep mine for the 911 service, too, and it does make checking the line your DSL comes in on a lot easier when you also have a phone line on that pair.

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                          I have no idea if it was a transposed number of what but seriously...the nerve of that agent to insist I was lying?!
                          Some collections agents are assholes and don't even know the law. I had one that was yelling at me about a debt I had already paid and when I told him to check with the company who I'd had the debt with and to never call me again at that number or I'd prosecute him for harassment, he just went off. I hung up on him. Never heard back about that debt ever again, so I guess somebody decided to call Crapital One (I wouldn't even suggest my enemies bank with them >_< ) and find out what the hell was up.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ahhh I can sympathize with this so much.

When I moved here about 5 years ago, we listed our number in the phone book with first initials only, so it reads "Bellsdown, M & A". Apparently, there is another "Bellsdown" across town with the same initial as me. So for 5 years, I have been getting calls from contractors who want to work on "Maria Bellsdown's" house.

They tell me they got my number from the title company, which I know is a lie - I've never owned a home, and I called the title company and they told me there's no number on file for the property in question. Sometimes they even refuse to believe that "Maria" doesn't live here and I don't know her. AND my number is on the DNC list and always has been.

Comment

My story is minor compared to others here, but I used to rent a house with friends and we'd get collection calls for someone with my first name and last initial. So when the caller would ask if "Bainsidhe" was there, I'd say "speaking" and then have to tell the collector they had the wrong person and number. Fortunately we didn't get those calls too often.

To the OP, if this is a company that's been around for a while, I'd consider changing your number. Calls may die down eventually, but you'll probably always have to deal with these callers, especially each time the company makes news.
                              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                              X