This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronomy Jerks (ranty)

I'm a self taught amateur astronomer. During the summer I run astronomy programs at a small observatory. Most people who come on the tours are wonderful, and the tours are the most fun I've had at a job. Last night, however, I got to deal with the most annoying man I've ever had on the program.

Apparently his hobby is astronomy! Lovely, we have something in common. Or at least, lovely if he didn't think that his subscription to Astronomy Magazine made him smarter than everyone else.

I should have seen it coming when he started saying that he KNEW there were planets visible tonight, and why would we not see them in the telescope. How about...they are visible at DAWN and it's not even midnight? Yes there are five planets visible right now, but Saturn is only visible low in the sky at sunset and the rest at sunrise.

Also, he kept complaining and asking why I was not moving the telescopes to this object or that object. Well...perhaps because even though he'd had a look through the telescope the other 22 people on the tour wanted to see it as well? And demanding that I show him a galaxy...well I can, but it wont be much to see, all the good ones are below the tree line right now!

He thought he saw the great square of Pegasus and was pointing it out to everyone. I told him it wasn't...wrong spot in the sky, not the right size, but nope he knows better because "The stars move sideways like that". On the walk back, he saw the actual great square and pointed it out again, right where I said it would be.

Also, it's fine if you disagree with me on the possibility of space travel and colonizing other planets, but that's no excuse to be snarky to me and the children I was talking to.

Finally, when I warn you to mind your head on the observatory stairs, that is not a reason to make fun of how I speak to your son, it's a reason to watch your freaking head because the ceiling is low, you jerk.

And trying to let your son use my astronomer's laser as a lightsaber? THAT IS JUST DUMB. I passed it to you cause you mentioned wanting to get one...I hope you never do. Or that I see your name in the paper when you are arrested for interfereing with airplanes. (WHY are these things not liscenced like they are in the US?)

*sigh* it was my trainee's second night, and I am afraid she's going to think they are all like that.

Oh, one of THOSE sort of amateurs. They show up in every hobby, sadly.

The good thing is, they're generally outnumbered by the real hobbyists who WANT to learn more and don't think that reading a few articles makes them experts.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go apologize to my Dob for the last five years of not using her, simply because the weather has gone to hell around here and the last time there was good seeing AND excellent transparency was one winter night a couple of years ago when it was about -20C. Seriously missing the sky these days.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Need any more proof that certain people think the stars revolve around THEM?
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Ugh, I forgot to mention as well...I was explaining about a star cluster in the telescope (M13, the Hercules cluster if anyone's interested) and explaining the age of the stars. (about 13 to 14 billion years old).
        I heard him explaining to folks, that no our galaxy is only 5 billion years old. News to me.

Comment

Quoth Emmeileia View Post
          Finally, when I warn you to mind your head on the observatory stairs, that is not a reason to make fun of how I speak to your son, it's a reason to watch your freaking head because the ceiling is low, you jerk.
          Please tell me he actually hit his head.

Comment

Working...
          X