This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Adventure In Bad Parenting

Busy, busy, BUSY night at work tonight. I thought I was running in circles for a couple of hours. In the midst of my big freakin' rush, I had a mother come to the counter with her son. The son was between ages 3 and 5, I'd guess. He was whining or crying about something, which at first I didn't think much of. Then I heard him ask if he could pee outside. His mother snapped that NO he could go get his dad to take him across the street or something. She then proceeds to ignore and/or yell at said child. Her son starts screaming, almost crying, because he has to go so badly. At that point, I knew it wouldn't end well. I was right. Next thing I knew, she was screaming at him "I TOLD YOU TO WAIT DIDN'T I? STOP! STOP!" Yup. Her son peed himself, and our floor, right in front of the counter. What does mom do? Scream some more at the kid, who immediately hung his head in embarrassment at having had an accident in front of all the people in line. She demanded him to leave with her, because "YOU HAVE TO GET CLEANED UP! NOW!" and the poor kid was almost scared to leave with her or something. She didn't even think about attempting to clean the mess up, just told me we'd need a mop, took her son and left. I had to go get co-worker J to clean up because I had a very long line to attend to. Now, I'm not a mother (just an aunt who overly spoils her nieces and nephews) but it seems to me that when a child that age is screaming/crying that he has to go pee, you take him immediately to a bathroom, right? I know our men's room was being used, but I'm not sure about the women's room. I really feel sorry for the little guy though. Poor guy!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Why oh why do some people get to breed like rabbits (and ruin their poor kids) and people like me with at least a modicum of common sense and a backbone don't get to have any? That poor little boy. The first rule of little kids is, when they say they have to go, they mean NOW. They don't pay any attention to subtle bodily signals, so by the time they figure it out it's already almost too late.

I wish I could adopt that kid. Oh, and I'm sorry about the mess you had to deal with too...it's that bitch SC's fault, not her son's.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Awwww BTDT! Yes I realize it was the mom's fault. The little guy couldn't hold it, obviously. Her snapping at him to wait when he was literally screaming crying throwing a fit because he had to go so badly didn't help him either, I'm sure.

Comment

Demanding that a kid wait to go is like telling the Moon to stop "Mooning", can't be done...lol.

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
          That poor little boy. The first rule of little kids is, when they say they have to go, they mean NOW.
          Q.F. mutha frakkin' T! o_O

I don't even have skiddles, and I learned a loooooooooong time ago that BTDT is 110% correct. Hell, in this case, he probably either knew five minutes ago and was telling her (she just didn't listen), or else he was AFRAID to say anything...And if he wasn't afraid before, he will be now...I feel sorry for the little guy
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Q.F. mutha frakkin' T! o_O
            I second that.

If I ever get a kid saying "mum I need to go to the toilet", I will hold their shopping and tell them where the toilet is. I will not continue until mum has taken kiddo to the toilet.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I could've done that, fireheart, but by the time I realized what was going on it was too late. It just killed me, seeing her telling him not only to wait, but then to stop once it started coming out. Ugh. Note to self: If I ever become a mother, that is lesson one on what NOT to do!

Comment

Why the hell don't these people think about what they're doing to their child?! That kind of trauma and abuse will take years to overcome, if ever. And it could've been prevented with a little forethought.

First of all, before you go out, make sure your child uses the bathroom at home. I can't tell you how many times I had this conversation with my son:
                SON: I don't need to go!
                ME: Go anyway, we've got a long trip ahead.
                Son grumps about it, stomps to the bathroom, within seconds it sounds like a waterfall in there!

Second, you've got to realize that not every place has a public restroom. Plan ahead, look around for places that most likely will have a public restroom (fast food restaurants, rest areas, newer stores).

Third, when the kid says he's gotta go, that means RIGHT NOW! Yes, they do wait until they're practically swimming and cannot hold it another minute. That's how they are, though they will eventually learn better and outgrow it.

Fourth, it's always a good idea to carry a change of clothes, extra PullUps (while training) and premoistened wipes in the car. Even if he doesn't have an accident, you never know when something else will happen.

A little forethought and planning ahead will prevent an awful lot of problems later on.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Poor kid.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

poor little guy; they can't hold it at that age, and dumb bitch should know better. kids should take priority over purchases; she should have asked if you could hold her stuff while she took care of him.

screaming at the poor kid isn't going to help him any; another prime example of fail (not just at parenting) right there.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

No offense to step parents, but could it be that she wasn't the kids mother? She could have been his dad's girlfriend or new wife. She was an absolute b*tch, I probably would have told the little boy that it wasn't his fault and p*ssed off that beast who was with him (along with giving her the look of death).

Comment

We had that rule at my house too when I was a kid. "We're going out, go use the bathroom." "But I don't have to!" "Go anyway!" I keep that idea in mind even today
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that somewhere down the line, karma will bite ... she'll be an elderly lady with incontinence problems and will be upset and humiliated that sonny "doesn't understand" that she can't help herself and is "too mean" to stop at a bathroom when she needs to use the loo ... and won't have the foggiest idea why he's this way.

Comment

smalltownclerk, I'm pretty sure she was his mother. I think I recall him calling her mom, but who knows. Ah, yes, karma...karma will get her, right in her bitchy ass!

Comment

I think this would be reason to call child services.

Comment

Working...
                              X