This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Labor Day Everybody!

First off, let me salute everyone who was forced to work today instead of having the day off as was the original intent of the holiday.

I myself no longer work any of the major holidays, though being in the state military means I could end up called to active duty and have to work them with no pay. I'm in Georgia State Defense Force, we aren't paid.

In the past, I worked at Western Auto and the only 2 holidays we closed for were Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day. Needless to say, with the bottom feeder types that company catered to, we worked late the nights before both holidays every year.

Since then I've moved on to independents with a franchise in between. At the franchise, before every single holiday the phone would ring off the hook with SC's wanting to know if we were open on the holiday. Yes, including Christmas Day! And so many of them would huff and puff indignantly when I said "no, we don't work holidays".

There was one 4 July holiday a long time ago when I was working for Meineke and I went in on that holiday for a couple of hours to straighten out a computer issue. From the time I walked in to the time I left, the phones rang non-stop. I thought to myself, 'your mufflers can wait, assholes! we're taking the day off to celebrate our Nation's birthday!'

I do my best to do all my shopping before a holiday. I'd much rather see more businesses closed for the holidays, especially Labor Day, and refuse to spend my money on those days the best I can. It's a day of rest for the "laborers" like you and me and I respect that.

Hang in there folks!
    Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Hope ya'lls is going better than mine.. It's rainy and very windy and the power is out. Today I am rather happy places are still open, I'd have starved if they weren't. (Only because the power is out, I normally bar b que on Labor Day, but the torrential rain and the high wind knocking the grill over put a stop to that)

But I did get to go skinny dipping in the rain!
    Last edited by HappyFun Ball; 09-05-2011, 11:35 PM.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

In honor of the American working man and woman, the clearance swamp is open its normal hours today. I worked 5 to 10:45. Oh well, at least I get holiday pay.

The pharmacy and optical centers were only open for five hours today. This is the only way your could tell today is a "holiday."

Sadly, it was rather busy. Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve are the same way. Only Easter Sunday, July 4, New Years Eve and New Years Day seem to be truly dead.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Where I work they usually seek volunteers for holidays so I usually won't work. I had to work today I went in and got holiday pay for 8 hours. I usually spend little time on the registers generally just come up when we get busy. I was stuck at register the entire 8 hours answering stupid questions. Didn't help they only had 2 people working the floors so it was near to impossible to get price checks done. I was so glad when the clock struck 6.

Comment

Quoth HappyFun Ball View Post
          Hope ya'lls is going better than mine.. It's rainy and very windy and the power is out. Today I am rather happy places are still open, I'd have starved if they weren't. (Only because the power is out, I normally bar b que on Labor Day, but the torrential rain and the high wind knocking the grill over put a stop to that)

But I did get to go skinny dipping in the rain!
          Yeah the weather is nasty here as well. We're under a tornado watch, a possible tornado already hit North Georgia, and we're upped to ALCON 4 in case the shit hits the fan like it did in late April when we got deployed.

At least it won't be as hot this coming week!
          Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Comment

I do get Labor Day off and thank god - last week was such a bitch that it didn't wear off until Sunday anyway. Tomorrow I get to do the voicemail from the long weekend - yay, more stupid people going "OHMYGAWD they're closed!!!" and slamming the phone down. That's if I can manage to fit it in between the calls. If anyone calls out tomorrow, we're screwed.

It's rainy here too but we went to the zoo anyway...they had a $1.00 admission day. The animals were great, the Cadillac-sized strollers and stupid whiny people, not so much...
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Even the Burger King was drive-thru only Sunday and Monday this weekend here ...tho that may have had something to to with the storm, as well.

I can understand people expecting car places to be open the day BEFORE a "big driving" holiday...maybe closing as late as nightfall but no later. But open on the day of? Uhm,...how can I put this more politely that I would, were I working in such a situation? Oh yeah! FUCK THAT NOISE AND GTFO MY SHOP!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At the local Walmart I work at none of my bosses knew if the double pay starts at 6 months or a year, so there is a chance I worked all holiday for nothing (I was new mid November so I had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and all the other holidays in between with nothing :P)

Comment

Yep, a salute to all those who worked today and I hope you get at least some holidays off during the year! I worked in the newspaper business for 20 years -- motto: What are these things you call holidays?

Cool and overcast all day today; it was great.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    I worked in the newspaper business for 20 years -- motto: What are these things you call holidays?
                    Yeah, same motto for the care-workers. We have to work when almost everyone else is off for the day or on holidays etc.
                    When people commented about how nice it is, having a whole week off at Easter or something and mocking us about having to work, we'd always say "no no no, we have the holidays, evenings and nights off - we just leave your granny/the patients/the clients all alone and go home." Somehow, people tended to get mad when we said that
                    Last edited by Engmfj; 09-06-2011, 04:29 AM. Reason: Unclear meaning

Comment

Today was the last day of the Labor Day Weekend Sale at the fabric store, and we were almost as busy as Black Friday. Cutting counter line went to the back wall most of the day, fabric bolts were piled up for hours because everyone was too busy to run fabric back.

It slowed down around 3:00, so some of us were able to put stuff back. Then it went completely dead around 6:30. I think most people mistakenly thought we closed early.

And we get to go through it again, even worse, in a couple of months. Joy.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

the only days we are closed are Xmas and Thanksgiving and we stay open til 9 or 10 on Xmas Eve. although I think we could do a decent amount of business on wither of those days to warrant openning, but I am hoping that will NEVER happen

Monday holidays (esp at night) are busy at <my pizza place> mainly because either people are just coming back from being away for the weekend and do not want to cook or they are too sick of BBQ and want something different. usually tips are decent.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          In honor of the American working man and woman, the clearance swamp is open its normal hours today. I worked 5 to 10:45. Oh well, at least I get holiday pay.
                          Years ago in MA there were blue laws that prevented most businesses from opening on many holidays. The Walgreen's I worked for was able to get around this rule because it was a pharmacy. A pharmacy was considered an essential service and thus was exempt from the blue law restrictions.

So, most holidays I was there and if someone desperately needed a prescription filled we could give them direction to one of the only two Walgreen's in the state that had a pharmacist on duty several hours drive away from our store (hey, we only needed to BE a pharmacy to be exempt...we didn't actually have to have the pharmacy open and it's not like corporate wanted to pay for a bunch of pharmacists to work on a holiday!).
                          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Worked my usual shift yesterday. The one exception is that coworker A got the day off because she's full time, so I ran like a nutcase all day doing her job. I've been running like a nutcase at work for the past 3 days.
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                              ...running like a nutcase...
                              Rule #1 warning:
                              (Has mental image of a scrote running... like a sack race, soda speak)
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X