X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good and the bad...

...sorry, no ugly.

Background: I work as a tutor for a university.

The Good

We had one student that several tutors were helping. she desperately wanted to pass her math class. Came in 3 times a day, sometimes 2 times the same day, worked hard, and was able to get a lot of the concepts.

The last week of the semester, I come in to open, and notice a white box with my name on it. It was from the student - she bought each tutor that helped her a university-logo coffee mug, coaster, and keychain, and then went to her local greenhouse and had a carnation bouquet placed in the mug along with a card.

The Bad

It's the last week of class, and I get a call from a student needing to use one of our specialized computer systems, which is in the quiet room where students take entrance tests. She wants to know if the room is open - well, I just came back from that room, and it was empty, so I let the student know. She says that she will be there soon to use the computer.

About an hour later, another student comes in to take an entrance test, and is put into the quiet room. You can probably see where this is going...

An hour and a half after she called, the student that wanted to use the computer comes in. I tell her the room's in use now, but will be free within an hour or so. She complains that she'll have her class then, and, "You should have looked back there."

What I wanted to say was that I did right before you called and said that you would be in soon, not an hour and a half later! Still gets me burned up...

Dumb girl is dumb...not much more to say than that The gift from the other student was a very nice thing for her to do.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
      What I wanted to say was that I did right before you called and said that you would be in soon, not an hour and a half later! Still gets me burned up...
      I can see no reason you needed to hold back!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        I can see no reason you needed to hold back!
        Assistant administrator was in the same room, and I didn't want to get her aggravated and complain to anyone higher-up. I just apologized for it, and she used one of the computers in the main lab until she had to leave for class.

I did have a talk with the assistant after she left explaining everything that happened, and it seems that this isn't the first time they've had problems with her. We'll probably be instituting a appointment list for the quiet room for students next semester, which is a good idea.
        Last edited by RichS; 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM. Reason: Had to add on...

Comment

On the other hand, fantastic good person!
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I've probably been that student who called about something, said I'd be there soon, and didn't show up for an hour and a half. The difference between me and Bad Student? I don't throw a fit about it because it's my own dang fault.

Quoth RichS View Post
            she bought each tutor that helped her a university-logo coffee mug, coaster, and keychain, and then went to her local greenhouse and had a carnation bouquet placed in the mug along with a card.
            D'awww....
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
            X