This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't people read their coupons?

Posting this from my phone as it just happened. I'm on my break and this lady comes through with a coupon and I have to put it in as managers have to do all coupons. I look at it and it's expired.

Me "Ma'am this coupon is expired. Do you have a different one?"
    *she pretends to look*
    SC "when did it expire?"
    Me "On the 10th"
    *she gives me a look like she can't believe I'm upset over her three day expired coupon*
    Me "did u have a different one?"
    SC "nope"
    Me "ok ill take this one but just dont do it again ok?" i said this very politely as im in a pretty good mood today.
    I turn to insert the coupon and tell her her total.
    SC "I didnt mean to do it."
    Me "oh dont worry about it its fine."
    SC "well you said dont do it again like i meant to." uhmm i said it nicely how else am i supposed to phrase that exactly? every other way I can think of sounds a lot worse.
    Me " Oh Im sorry. I didnt mean to sound rude if I did."
    SC " yeah a little bit." she said this very snobbily if thats a word

Wow, way to make me regret doing you a favor lady.

Sorry for my lack of capitalization. Phone posting is not the way to go.

Sounds like me everyday. The second you do it for them once though, you will do it for them forever. There was just a big corporate meeting on this for our stores a couple weeks ago, you tell them "nope, can't do it" or "just this once" problem is, I do not have a photographic memory, so I might do them the favor on a monday, and then they come back a few weeks later, and I'm doing it again. Problem is, when we say "no" they get the catt-butt face, call corporate and then we get yelled at for not making the customer happy. Then we make the customer happy, and we all get written up or have our jobs threatened.
    I apologize, I forgot where I was going with this...
    Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
      Bend over, doesn't matter which way, 'cause we got you in a fore-n-aft rig.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
        Perdition? Aka retail hell.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Rules? There are rules? Well that's nice, but I'm the customer, and rules don't apply to me.

Comment

Quoth Pojodan View Post
            Rules? There are rules? Well that's nice, but I'm the customer, and rules don't apply to me.
            After all, we all know the customer is always right, right?
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              After all, we all know the customer is always right, right?
              If I can just paralyze his left side he's sure as hell gonna be...

All right, that is.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Pojodan View Post
                rules don't apply to me.
                Screw the rules! I have money a massive entitlement complex

I see nothing wrong with letting a 3 day old coupon slide; but she could have at least been more gracious about it -- heck, the vendor you send it to probably won't even notice. It's when they try the year-old coupons to OTHER STORES that you need to put your foot down.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Screw the rules! I have money a massive entitlement complex

I see nothing wrong with letting a 3 day old coupon slide; but she could have at least been more gracious about it -- heck, the vendor you send it to probably won't even notice. It's when they try the year-old coupons to OTHER STORES that you need to put your foot down.
                  Does anyone else have the issue with the Crest Whitestrips $10 off coupon? Seems that coupon will give $10 off ANYTHING from that manufacturer when you scan it. I'm not talking about $10 off another type of Crest, I'm talking any other product that manufacturer makes. Well the SC's all know it and they raise hell ..... "my sister uses this coupon all the time to get her diapers, you can't tell me I can't". We had a memo sent down from corporate that we all had to sign about it, and people have actually been fired for allowing this to go through (including a store manager)!

Comment

Yeah, I will typically let expired coupons slide as since I work at a McDs they are all store coupons and most of them we don't get reimbursed for anyway so it doesn't really matter. However, I do not HAVE to take the expired ones, even if they are expired by an hour. That's what made me so mad about this lady that she couldn't even be nice to me when I'm doing her a favor. She had to find something to complain about - me telling her not to do it again.

Holy crap, are you serious about the Crest coupons? I can't believe people would think that is okay. I've noticed as a customer that sometimes if I buy two different things by the same manufacterur and have coupons for each thing sometimes the register will scan them off the wrong item, but I at least am buying the right item too. I also know that sometimes coupons do that and it's all based on the numbers in the barcodes, but I'm not going to try to use the coupons improperly. I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Next time you get that try scaring them a little. "Well what you are trying to do is illegal. If you would like we can have the police come for a chat and I'll be sure to mention that your sister did it as well." That is honestly one of the worst coupon stories I have heard. I get some crazy people that will hand me a coupon for a big mac and ask if they can get a filet o fish instead which always bugs me. (NO it's not what the coupon is for dumbass!) I've only had one guy push it though.

Comment

I hope you're prepared for her to try to do that again, since you allowed it once. Just saying. Also, it's funny how she reverted to near child mode with "I didn't mean to!" Get over yourself, and read your coupons, lady. Oh wait...Reading would take time that our precious, lifeblood-of-our-company customers don't have to waste! How foolish of me!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post

Holy crap, are you serious about the Crest coupons? I can't believe people would think that is okay. I've noticed as a customer that sometimes if I buy two different things by the same manufacterur and have coupons for each thing sometimes the register will scan them off the wrong item, but I at least am buying the right item too. I also know that sometimes coupons do that and it's all based on the numbers in the barcodes, but I'm not going to try to use the coupons improperly. I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Next time you get that try scaring them a little. "Well what you are trying to do is illegal. If you would like we can have the police come for a chat and I'll be sure to mention that your sister did it as well." That is honestly one of the worst coupon stories I have heard. I get some crazy people that will hand me a coupon for a big mac and ask if they can get a filet o fish instead which always bugs me. (NO it's not what the coupon is for dumbass!) I've only had one guy push it though.

I am absolutely serious about this. We've actually had people fired

Comment

That is terrible. How do you get them to accept it and go away? I'm bad at that.

Comment

Some people are horrible about coupons, others follow the rules and everybody's happy. 2 weeks ago, I was shopping and my favorite dry soup mix was on sale 1/2 price. On the display was a book of BOGO coupons, so I got about 10 soups. Got to the till and found out the coupon was a month out of expiry. Being as they were on a store display, with the sale sign there too, I never thought to look for the expiry date. I said I understood, but they should make sure the coupons they have on display are removed. She went and got them and confirmed the entire stack should have been removed, and said 'Thank you for being so understanding - I'll let you have the BOGO deal!" Was a pleasant surprise, as I was willing to pay for them at the sale price even if I couldn't use the coupon.
                            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                              She went and got them and confirmed the entire stack should have been removed, and said 'Thank you for being so understanding - I'll let you have the BOGO deal!" Was a pleasant surprise, as I was willing to pay for them at the sale price even if I couldn't use the coupon.
                              It would be so nice if they did this more often and gave in to the douchebags less.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X