This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What're we gonna do about this?"

So I had a trucker come in tonight with one of those piggyback rigs loaded with Tractor Trailer cabs (3 or 4 of 'em). I had JUST come in to work, and he walks in.

He starts in saying he talked to a woman that said we could take a 90 ft truck. (Sally, 2nd shift, said he never mentioned truck length). For reference we have a small drive way to get to our hotel. Standard trucks have little to no trouble coming in.

At the desk he asks if he could drive around the hotel. As there is a road that circle the hotel, mainly for access to parking, we said yes.

He then says he needs at least 30 ft of clearance for turns. I have no idea if that is the case, and since he's asking it's clear HE doesn't know either.

Anyway, I went out to see what we could do to get him manuevered around. However, one section of our parking lot is roped off due the pavement crumbling. He wanted to take down the rope. I told him no, because I really didn't want to have to deal with it gettin worse, or any possible damage that may occur to his truck. He then starts to argue with me about it. I stand firm.

SC: "Call a wrecker, and get out your checkbook." Uh, no.

Me: "We're not paying for it."

I go back inside and see what Sally wants to do, as we go back out, we see him pull around another section of our parking lot handily.

He then proceeds to park in front of half a dozen parking spaces. He gets out and asks if its OK to park there. I tell him he can't park there.

Now he starts to get belligerent. He asks me "How long have you been manager?" I reply that I am not the manager. He says "I figured."

Then he says he's "going to talk to someone" about this. By this point he's shouting at me. Then he asks me my name. I point to my name tag and say "it's right here." He says he can't see that far awat and repeats his question (still loud and aggressive, and now walking towards me). I repeat my answer.

He then stares right at me, and again asks my name. I repeat my answer.

SC: Is that your name "Right Here"? How stupid are you?

I then turn and walk away.

SC: Come here.

As I walk away, I turn to the trucker and say "You know what, sir, we're sold out."

He leaves (he makes a few comments, but I don't hear them).

Y'know, if he had been decent, and not tried to blame me for his problems, he would have had a room.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Please, please, PLEASE don't judge all truckers by this asshat alone. They're not all that way. My father is living proof! I understand it can get tiring, driving long hours and all, but there is NO excuse for that behavior! I'm sorry you had to deal with it!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
      Please, please, PLEASE don't judge all truckers by this asshat alone.
      Don't worry.

I have worked in hotels for a while, and I know that all truckers aren't like this. In fact, truckers are usually my favorite guests. They tend to be decent folk, with a ready sense of humor. But just like every other job, there are a few jackasses.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
        Then he says he's "going to talk to someone" about this. By this point he's shouting at me. Then he asks me my name. I point to my name tag and say "it's right here." He says he can't see that far awat and repeats his question (still loud and aggressive, and now walking towards me). I repeat my answer.
        I'm sure the DMV would be very interested to hear that he can't read reasonably sized text from a suitable distance...
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Whoop! I'm sorry all the truckers I kick out of my mall ended-up at your place! My bad!

If they're respectful I feel for them; it's tough to be a trucker and tougher to find parking in some places. But they don't have to take their frustrations out on people who have nothing to do with their problems.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
            I'm sure the DMV would be very interested to hear that he can't read reasonably sized text from a suitable distance...
            I was just thinking that. Sure be a pity if they found out somehow, wouldn't it?

Comment

Should have seen if his truck had one of those "how's my driving?" stickers, could have made a complaint through that. Sorry you had to deal with that. You would think with a truck that size he would think to ask about distances before he arrived.
              My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

My dad's a long haul trucker, and if he'd been there he would've clocked that guy. There are truck stops in every state for this exact reason, dude, and they're generally not that few and far between! My dad always went to them to park his trailer because he knew that hotels generally don't have the room for trucker's trailers, if even the front rig! Have a little common courtesy (or at least sense) and take your truck somewhere it can actually go, or at the very least the trailer, so you don't cause people so many problems!

Comment

Don't worry.

I have worked in hotels for a while, and I know that all truckers aren't like this. In fact, truckers are usually my favorite guests. They tend to be decent folk, with a ready sense of humor. But just like every other job, there are a few jackasses.

SC
                  Yeah me too. The last hotel (not the current company I'm at) used to have alot of truckers pull through. They were some of my favorite guests. I had one guy from Britain that spent four hours chatting with me at the front desk during a night audit after I was done the paperwork for the night. And usually, depending how many of them there were in the hotel, if it was Christmas, they'd do a little collection between them all and they'd all put like five or ten bucks into a pot and give it to us clerks as a present.

Truckers are normally great.

We did have one though that was REALLY rude to one of the waitresses to the point he nearly hit her when she refused to serve him any more alcohol (he was toasted). We told his company and he ended up fired because apparently he'd been doing that an awful lot in a bunch of hotels and they kept kicking him out and costing the company money. The attempt to hit her was just the straw that broke the camels back. Good thing there was at least two dozen witnesses to him doing that, and a bunch of the bar patrons had jumped up to hold him back.

Comment

Quoth Clover View Post
                    My dad's a long haul trucker, and if he'd been there he would've clocked that guy. There are truck stops in every state for this exact reason, dude, and they're generally not that few and far between!
                    There is one 8 miles down the road from us.

SC

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                      Please, please, PLEASE don't judge all truckers by this asshat alone. They're not all that way. My father is living proof! I understand it can get tiring, driving long hours and all, but there is NO excuse for that behavior! I'm sorry you had to deal with it!
                      He clearly isn't based out of Salt Lake... the truckers here are universally regarded as the biggest danger to the public good there is... it is apparently against all Utah trucking company's policies to hire people who, oh you know, actually know how to drive

Out of state truckers who stay at the hotel I love, instate truckers, I see them coming and I get as far away as humanly possible and pray to whatever gods may listen to keep me safe.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

haha no Smiley, Dad and I are up here in the land of the Hawkeyes (or Cyclones, if you're a fan of that particular team). My dad has driven a semi in some way for pretty much as long as I have been alive. He's not afraid to tell a dumbass driver that he's a dumbass either. I've witnessed that myself. Anyway, I'm glad to hear such good praise for truckers here! I'm so used to hearing them made out to be bad guys. It gets sickening, y'know?
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

So I had a trucker come in tonight with one of those piggyback rigs loaded with Tractor Trailer cabs (3 or 4 of 'em). I had JUST come in to work, and he walks in.

Anyway, I went out to see what we could do to get him manuevered around. However, one section of our parking lot is roped off due the pavement crumbling. He wanted to take down the rope. I told him no, because I really didn't want to have to deal with it gettin worse, or any possible damage that may occur to his truck. He then starts to argue with me about it. I stand firm.

SC: "Call a wrecker, and get out your checkbook." Uh, no.

Me: "We're not paying for it."
                          He expected the hotel to pay for a wrecker (and for possible damage to the trucks) that would be caused by HIM going into an area that had been marked off as "don't go here"?

Quoth Clover View Post
                          My dad's a long haul trucker, and if he'd been there he would've clocked that guy. There are truck stops in every state for this exact reason, dude, and they're generally not that few and far between! My dad always went to them to park his trailer because he knew that hotels generally don't have the room for trucker's trailers, if even the front rig!
                          The "daisy chains" of trucks are usually brand new trucks being shipped from the factory. I've never done truck delivery, but it's my understanding that (even if one or more of the trucks has a sleeper) it's a "no go" area - the delivery driver is expected to overnight at motels (after all, would you want a brand new truck that someone has slept in the sleeper?). Still, a number of truck stops have motels attached (fairly common for TA) - he should have planned his trip to overnight at such truck stops, where the parking lot can accommodate the "daisy chain", and a motel is available.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            He clearly isn't based out of Salt Lake... the truckers here are universally regarded as the biggest danger to the public good there is... it is apparently against all Utah trucking company's policies to hire people who, oh you know, actually know how to drive

Out of state truckers who stay at the hotel I love, instate truckers, I see them coming and I get as far away as humanly possible and pray to whatever gods may listen to keep me safe.
                            That'd be due to the number of "schools" who sucker in trainee drivers, give em a few weeks behind a simulator, some actual driving time, pump out the certs and then vanish into the wind. It's a great big scam there (I had a few friends fall for it when I lived there)

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                              That'd be due to the number of "schools" who sucker in trainee drivers, give em a few weeks behind a simulator, some actual driving time, pump out the certs and then vanish into the wind. It's a great big scam there (I had a few friends fall for it when I lived there)
                              it is not only the fly by night operations that do this. a big national trucking company that is HQed in my town used to do that. the "students" would come into town for a 2 week training course (morning was classroom and afternoon/evening was "on the road"). they were universally hated both by delivery drivers and people who drove cars in my town. the delivery drivers hated them cause the "students" NEVER had very much money with them (thus resulting that orders to a certain hotel where the studenTs were "housed" would be a certain stiff). and the regular townspeople hated them cause they drove like crap (yes they were new to semi's but since they were on the road the FIRST day it created a LOT of traffic tie ups and screwups).

after going back to their "home base" the students would receive a little more training and then be released "into the wild" of the highways and streets

I think the term used by "real" truckers was "steering wheel holders"
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X