X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I KNOW MY RIGHTS!

Well it started out simple.

I was called over to check out a laptop for someone who was returning it. The claim was constant shutting down, constantly dropping off line, static on the audio etc. Except they checked out OK. (wifi worked, youtube vid played just fine)

Now personally that didn't bother me really cos I've had to check out computers that people returned just cos they changed their minds. But apparently she was outside of the return policy so they were questioning it and called the managers over. At that I stepped back and went to work on another item nearby.

That's when the drama started.

First off the SC was pissed because she had to go all the way home to get the power cord for us to check it. And she claimed we told her we were going to let her return it.

I didn't catch all of what Darrin said but I think he spoke to her prior and had said something like "we can take it back IF *bla bla bla*" (perhaps if we could recreate the issues she was having). And since we couldn't see anything wrong with it... the managers were saying "no return, you're outside of policy."

Arguments the SC used to force her point...

"I drove all the way home to get this power cord! Endangering the life of my child!"
    Cos apparently it's the store's fault that she chose getting the return done late at night over the health of her sick child... not to mention that she'd have to have the power cord to return it anyway...

"I'm a CUSTOMER!" (no she didn't say "the customer's always right" but I could sense she was trying to pull that card too)

"You told me one thing and now your employee is telling me something else! " (and something about how wrong they were for not going with what she was originally told... or rather what she thought she was going to get)

"I KNOW MY RIGHTS"
    Inside I LOL'd. Seriously I was glad I wasn't facing her at that point... Cos yes I was rolling my eyes and smirking. She also yammered on about getting a lawyer.

now personally I don't exactly like Darrin cos he's a bit tough on us but apparently he does hold his ground against Entitlement Whores too. Cos I think I heard him say at one point "This conversation is over"

I almost wish I wasn't due to clock out yet cos... apparently the drama wasn't over yet.

When I left, she was at the entrance sobbing into her cell about how the meanies at the store wouldn't give in to her demands. And when I got into my car to leave... I saw a police car approaching.

no idea how it turned out, or if i'll find out later but... o boy. i swear she was trying to use every card in the book to force her way.

That always cracks me up at the call center, when they start talking about their rights and getting their lawyers involved, lol. Our lawyers are bigger than yours. (True, they might settle out of court, but...)
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Why is it the rights that customers "KNOW" they have are so different from the rights they *ACTUALLY* have?

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

By all means call a lawyer. They're going to charge you a pretty penny and then tell you that there is no case. And no one is going to take "Big Box store wouldn't take my return" on contingency.

Comment

I don't know how it turned out but I think I found the log of the call to the police.

Apparently the log of 911 calls in that city is public knowledge, listing date, time (24 hour), street name, street description (ST, Blvd, etc), generic description of issue, and unit.

edited out for identifying information

9/ 22/ 11 201842 <street> <street> Legal Civil Problem <unit>
          9/ 22/ 11 210040 <street> <street> Misc. Out at a location <same unit>

O yes that was it. I saw the cops pull up at around 845 (2045 if you're on a 24 hour clock). I just don't know what the result was of the call of course...

Comment

God, all that drama, and for what? She'd have been better off if she'd been polite and pleasant, told them she had changed her mind, and asked if there was anything they could do for her. And if that didn't work, sell it on eBay or something. Instead she throws a major hissy fit, very childish.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              Well it started out simple.
              "I KNOW MY RIGHTS"
              Was she related to Steve the Lawn Mower guy by any chance? Google search it, prepare to laugh at the videos.
              Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Love how it's the store's fault that she decided to leave her "sick child" at home so she could return a laptop ...

Comment

Stores shouldn't be punished for a woman's "lack of parenting" skills in leaving her kids just for a stupid return. Seems like half the parents in this country don't deserve to be.

Comment

Most of the time the cops don't take too nicely to having someone use 911 for a non-emergency. It's possible that she got a ticket for using it for a civil matter.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                      Most of the time the cops don't take too nicely to having someone use 911 for a non-emergency. It's possible that she got a ticket for using it for a civil matter.
                      I'm not sure who placed the call though. If she placed it because they were telling her "no" or if they called the cops to arrest her for trespassing. I don't have to work for a few days though so I don't know if I'll find out.

(and i have a feelling darrin wouldn't gossip about that anyway so i doubt i can ask him)

Comment

Costs

Quoth Raveni View Post
                        By all means call a lawyer. They're going to charge you a pretty penny and then tell you that there is no case. And no one is going to take "Big Box store wouldn't take my return" on contingency.
                        Someone is talking about suing me for real. I contacted a lawyer to see what to do.

His advice, do nothing till they serve you with papers.

His rate $350 per hour.

Comment

Yeah I know... If someone can afford $350 an hour they wouldn't be screaming over a laptop. I think she was just trying to see how many "cards" she could play to force them to do the exchange.

And my boyfriend just pointed out... If she wanted to play the "You're endangering the life of my child" card the cops might also like discussing that with her... as in why she was carting her sick child out late at night over a fucking laptop.
                          Last edited by PepperElf; 09-26-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Update:

I spoke to one of my coworkers who was there after I left.... The CUSTOMER called 911 over this... because the manager told her "no" and told her "this conversation is over".

What a fucking crazy bitch. I can only hope the cops told her to "STFU and stop abusing 911"

Comment

While abusing 911 is actually a pretty serious crime, its notoriously hard to reinforce, because they can say they considered it an emergency, not saying it doesn't happen, but in my previous job as an EMT (very few complaints about that job, your either saving their life or they're dead and not complaining), A few calls we got ended up being stuff along the lines of needing a baby sitter, wanting us to go on a beer run for them cause they were drunk, and wanting a sandwich (last one turned out to be a diabetic with low blood sugar so that was fine).

Comment

Working...
                              X