This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleepin' away in my Stairwell

The other day, I had a guest come to my desk and complain that there was someone sleeping in the stairwell. So I went to investigate. Sure enough...

Me: *Gently nudge with foot* Get up.
    SC: (On his back, barefoot) *No response*
    Me: *Nudge again* C'mon you need to get up.
    SC: *Mumbles, opens eyes, turns to side, goes to go back to sleep*
    Me: You need to get up
    SC: *Looks at me* No speak Spanish?
    Me: [How do you say get up in Spanish, again. Ah screw it] You need to get up now.
    SC: (Finally on his feet) No speak Spanish?
    Me: Tiene un cuarto aqui? (Do you have quarters here?)
    SC: Si.
    Me: Donde? (Where?)
    SC: *Room number in Spanish*
    Me: Va. (Go?)

I am so grateful that I took 4 years of Spanish in HS. Unfortunately, that was a dozen years ago.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

For a second there, I was not registering the "housing" meaning of "quarters." I was wondering why you were trying to bum change off some drunk in a stairwell.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
      For a second there, I was not registering the "housing" meaning of "quarters." I was wondering why you were trying to bum change off some drunk in a stairwell.
      I wasn't the only one!
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        I wasn't the only one!
        I'll third that ...

Comment

Me, too. :/
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

At least he left without too much of a fight.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Good thing he didn't put up too much of a struggle and went away. But I can't imagine sleeping on the stairs would be good for your back.

Slightly off-topic, but I think the word for "get up" is "despierta", but I might be wrong. My bachelor's degree was in Spanish.

Comment

"Get up" in Spanish would be "Levantate."

Comment

If he had a room, why the heck was he sleeping in the stairwell? Don't know about anyone else, but I'd certainly prefer a bed (or even a couch) to a cramped, uncomfortable stairwell.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have friends that drink and others that take Ambien. Both will tell you of the many places they have woken up from having a little too much of either [or both].

That guy, however sounds like he was just blasted and wanted somewhere to sleep besides the sidewalk. Glad he vacated when you told him.

Comment

Working...
                    X