This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an attempted robbery go here?

Today someone walked into the store asking if we were hiring. Problem is, he was in a t-shirt, extremely baggy jeans with his underwear hanging out, very distinctive clothing, and had facial tattoos. Plus he absolutely reeked of weed. Manager on duty told him to apply online, he said okay and left. She commented to me that she had a bad feeling about the guy - you don't typically see "urban youth" (for lack of a better term) in this area. She also commented she wished she'd gotten his name so she could tell bossman who not to interview.

About 10 minutes later one of the drivers walks in with a busted lip, a ton of cuts and scratches, blood on his shirt, and his shirt was ripped. We ask what happened, he said he was in the parking lot looking at something on his phone when "some kid snatched my phone and took off running". He chased the kid, lost sight briefly, then saw him again and... shall we say, forcefully retrieved his phone in a very unpleasant manner - judging by his bruises and swollen knuckles, I'd say fists were used quite liberally. We ask him what he looks like, he describes tattoo-boy perfectly, including the logo on his hat.

Police show up pretty quick, they take a bunch of photos of our driver (who was scared shitless, he has a warrant for an unpaid ticket and he was also afraid he'd get in trouble for the rather forceful manner he used to get his phone back), his injuries, and the phone. Turns out tattoo-boy made a call while he had it, and left the number in the call log. They even took the driver out in their car and drove around for about 20 minutes to see if they could find the guy.

Did I mention we have a fancy new camera system that records on a hard drive? Not a cheap one either, this is all Honeywell equipment. The video got the guy coming in and talking to us, and also his friend looking in through the window - in crystal clear 720p. Bossman also keeps a blank flash drive handy in case he needs to copy video or images - the police now have both still and video images of the guy, along with the phone number he called, photos of the driver's injuries, signed statements from several of us, etc etc etc.

So our driver is a bit shaken up, bloody and bruised, but has his phone and the cops are actively looking for this guy. The guy they're looking for, I'm told, is in far worse shape than my coworker - coworker is a skinny guy, but you really don't want to piss him off.

What did another coworker say? "You know he probably beat himself up to get out of work early, right? Now I'm going to have to stay late!" I've worked with both of these guys before, now I remember why I hate whiny coworker so damn much. I turned around and told him "You're a fucking asshole, you know that right?" and he started whining about how he always has to stay late, I just told him to stop talking. The driver who almost lost his phone happened to be in the same apartment complex as me when someone tried to rob me several years ago, and scared off the guys that thought they were about to help themselves to my wallet.

Also, Texas has some very property-owner-friendly laws - coworker isn't in any trouble even though it sounds like he beat the shit out of tattoo boy. The story corporate is getting will leave out the, uh, forceful tactics used in retrieving his property.
    Last edited by bean; 09-26-2011, 05:26 AM.

Wow.

Hope that tard doesn't go home after getting arrested and try to apply for a job.

This is why I'm a paranoid person and I'm always clutching my stuff tight and always looking around.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm just as guilty as others about having my phone out in public - though I don't have an iPhone (which is a huge target). I love my Android, however - Samsung Epic 4G.

I also have insurance on it though, because I know someone might like it enough to make it their own. It'll suck having to pay the $100 deductible if I have to, but I have it setup so it backs up everything once a week to my Dropbox account.. so I'd only be losing the physical phone.

Comment

I've got an older phone from Verizon, nothing fancy. But, I know of people who steal disposable/trac phones just to have one until it runs out of minutes.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

There are things I love about Texas laws.

Being able to legally defend yourself being one of them.

Clubbed a would-be robber like a baby harp seal with your fists when some jerkoff snatches your phone? Not a problem.

I love the stories where the would be snatcher ended up with his nards in his throat after his 'victim' kicked them there...quite hard.

I didn't know they made steel-toed pumps for when office staff need to go onto the production floors.
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Your whiny coworker IS a fucking asshole. The lack of sympathy on his part astounds me. It's almost a shame he isn't the one that tried to steal the phone...

Comment

Or the one who got his phone stolen.

Comment

The driver kicked the wrong asshole
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm impressed he actually had the balls to place a call right after swiping it. Your coworker is an amazing dick though. >.>

I don't own a cell, only an iPod Touch, but I keep it in my pocket 95% of the time when out and about with just the headphones on. As far as anyone can see, I'm listening to the soothing sounds of my own groin.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                    As far as anyone can see, I'm listening to the soothing sounds of my own groin.
                    That leads to all sorts of horrible ideas for the playlist:

Up where we belong
                    Big Balls
                    Balls to the wall
                    Cum on feel the noise
                    My Ding-a-ling
                    Swing low sweet chariot
                    Freefalling
                    Round and round
                    Lick it up
                    Stuck in the middle (with you)
                    Seperate ways
                    Can't stand losing you
                    The old grey mare
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Nah. Just the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. -.-

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        Nah. Just the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. -.-
                        My God, it's full of stars.

Comment

Other driver sounds like a Class A douche bag. With my phone, I'd chase down someone and kick the shit out of them for it.. It's an HTC Inspire, no IPhone, but I did have to pay extra to get this one.
                          http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                            What did another coworker say? "You know he probably beat himself up to get out of work early, right? Now I'm going to have to stay late!"
                            This guy must be pretty stupid and/or self important to think that driver would beat himself up just to get an hour or so off of work. God I hate people like that.

Driver has some serious cajones going after that punk.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post

Up where we belong
                              Big Balls
                              Balls to the wall
                              Cum on feel the noise
                              My Ding-a-ling
                              Swing low sweet chariot
                              Freefalling
                              Round and round
                              Lick it up
                              Stuck in the middle (with you)
                              Seperate ways
                              Can't stand losing you
                              The old grey mare
                              one mustn't forget:
                              chocolate salty balls
                              great balls of fire
                              and of course for the terry pratchet fans
                              a wizards staff has a knob on the end
                              There are only two rules of tactics: never be without a plan, and never rely on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X