This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammer thinks we're all morons.

This happened a few months back, but it's become one of my favourite WTF? story to tell all the new hires at my store. This one still nearly made my brain short circut at the incredible amount of stupidity and just plain balls for even trying to pull off this scam.

BG/
    I work in a liquor store in a bad area. All the staff know to keep an eye out for every customer, as you never know who might by trying to shoplift, scam us, or are just plain underage and shouldn't even be there.
    We also have two ends to the store where you can pay. Some people choose to pay at one end then walk through the store to exit from the other end. They (mostly) know to keep their receipt on them when doing this.
    Also, we are not required to wear a uniform, so we can often be mistaken for customers unless we actively identify ourselves.
    /END BG

I was supervising during a semi-busy Saturday night shift. We close at 11pm, and it was about 10.50pm when this all went down.
    Most doors were closed except for 1 door at each end of the store (reduces the risk of a late night snatch and run).
    Due to labour time cuts, there was only myself and 2 other workers on. To save time when I closed, I had cashed out one of the remaining tills, leaving only 1 open at the back of the store. All customers were sent to this till to pay.

Two women in their mid 20's, SC1 and SC2, came into the store and proceeded to buy a 6pk of beer between them. With bag and receipt in hand, they walked back through the store to exit through the front entrance.
    My coworker (CW1) was hanging around the front of the store straightening up the shelves and keeping an eye on the floor.

Just before the door, SC1 removed the beer from the bag and left the store. SC2 kept the bag and the receipt and turned back around, heading to the beer cooler. CW1 witnessed all this, and decided to follow SC2 to see what was going on.
    SC2 grabbed two 6 packs of beer from the cooler, 1 of the same kind she had just purchased, and 1 of a different kind (but still the same price). She then proceeded to the back till.

Understandably, CW1 was very suspicious at this time and came up to me and relayed everything that had happened. I was hoping that SC2 couldn't possibly be that blatant about what she was doing, but then I guess I wouldn't be on this site.

Here's the fun part;

When SC2 got to the front of the line, she dumped both 6 packs on the counter, whipped out her receipt, and demanded an exchange.
    I quite politely declined, and basically let her know that we had seen everything she had done.
    SC2 declared her friend, SC1, had stolen the beer from her.
    I let her know that unfortunately, that wasn't our problem.
    SC2 told us that it wasn't her problem that the beer had been stolen from her, and that we should honour her exchange regardless.
    I let her know that her unfortunate choice in friends was not our fault.
    SC2 yelled at us for being rude and unhelpful, then picked up one of the 6 packs of beer turning to leave the store with it.
    I politely reminded her that all the beer she had brought up to the till were ours, and that if she tried to leave with it, we wouldn't hesitate to have her arrested for theft.
    SC2 demanded a manager.
    I let her know that she could ring the store on Monday when a manager was available if she chose to, but until then, the beer stayed with us.
    SC2 exclaimed that she was being falsely accused of trying to steal.
    I reminded her of CW1's testimony, and pointed out all of the security cameras fitted throughout the store. If she was certain of her innocence, I would happily review the footage tomorrow and get back to her if she left her name and number.
    SC2 ranted and raved for another minute before finally stomping out of the store, but not before letting us know that she was having us all fired.

After closing the store, and once we stopped laughing, I had both CW1 and CW2 fill out an incident report to be left on the managers desk.

And if this wasn't funny enough, SC2 actually did call a manager 2 weeks later, trying to get me fired.
    Unfortunately for her, the manager had actually read out report and had reviewed the footage of the incident (this actually shocked me).
    SC2 apparently did not appreciate being laughed at over the phone.
    She's vowed to never shop here again.

That is the best story I have ever heard. It always amazes me how persistent people can be even when they know they are caught.
    I've had stories like this, but not involving shoplifters or even customers - it's people that want jobs that will not take no for an answer. It is insane how people think if they go through enough people they will get what they want. This will work for some things, but not getting a job and certainly not shoplifting.

Comment

Did your manager thank her graciously for her vow never to shop there again?

Comment

Quoth SansDoute View Post
        SC2 apparently did not appreciate being laughed at over the phone.
        She's vowed to never shoplift here again.
        Fixed for your convenience.With so many scammers, the idea that store staff are morons has got to be projection.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Can you get that in writing?

Comment

I'll never understand why telling a store you are voluntarily refraining from stealing from them is considered a viable threat...
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              With so many scammers, the idea that store staff are morons has got to be projection.
              Sadly it's not... you'd be amazed how many people fall for scams.
              There's a sucker born every minute and odds are one of them is responsible for your money

If you think I'm joking on that, we have a list of criteria two pages long on what is considered suspicious caller behavior while using the relay system, we must get at least two criteria before we can interupt a call (okay, so there are a few immediate red flag items, but those have less to do with fraud against the hearing user and more to do with fraud against us). When that happens we have a supervisor jump on the line to politely remind the hearing user that hearing people do occassionally abuse the IP relay system and caution should be used in any financial transaction (with the implied tone of, and we think this is one of those people) and ask if they wish to continue the call. At least half the time the hearing user will thank us for our concern and blithely continue being scammed.
              Though, I am halfway tempted to say, if you honestly think we have supervisors with nothing better to do than remind you not to be stupid, then you deserve what you get, but sadly most of the time it's not their money that is going to be stolen
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Your manager should ban her from the store, just to get the point across.

"Oh, you swear to never shop here again? Let's make sure it stays that way."

I find it hilarious that she continued her charade of innocence even when you pointed out that, not only did an employee see the entire incident, but you also had cameras running in the store. The fact that she even called the manager goes to show that she's either immensely stupid or from another planet.

Comment

"And this should make me sad because...?"

The vast majority of the people who vow to "never shop here again" are, at best, bullying asshats and at worst, scammers, thieves or other criminals. So why is it considered a bad thing if they never shop here again? [/rhetorical question]

Seriously, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Heh, I just got through posting in another thread about how brilliant some SC's are. Very well thought out plan . Glad the SC got stopped, but a trip to a 8x10 room would have been a little better
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

If I was the manager on that call, I'd tell her "I'll make sure to hold you to that. Enter my store again and I'll have you arrested for trespassing."
                      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X