Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dare you even consider charging us for this!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dare you even consider charging us for this!

Had a customer call up to find out pricing for work.

Her computer is a month old and had a crash that sounded like it's under warranty. The computer company wanted her to get her data backed up first before sending it to them, so she called us.

I explained we could also send it off and do the data backup but when she found out that the data back up was not free she had a cow.

"I NEED THIS FOR MY BUSINESS!"... that doesn't make it free.

"THIS COMPUTER IS ONLY A MONTH OLD!"... that STILL doesn't make it free. The repair itself would be free but NOT the data backup.

So she demanded a manager - gave her to Opie who not only told her the same thing but explained WHY it wasn't free. because it costs us time and money to back up her stuff... and that it's not our fault that it wasn't backed up to begin with.

Opie: She said she's never coming back. Yeah. Everyone else will charge her for this too.

Always gotta love when people think that acting offended will magically lower the price.

Ha !!

We charge 100 bucks for data backup. That's always a crowd pleaser !!
    Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Better have the smelling salts handy when she finds out how much data RECOVERY costs.

Comment

and people wonder why I have have 3 external drives at my disposial (600G 1T and 2T)

and if the computer is used for her business she "should" know to back it up (OOOPPPPSSSSS did I just say that???? NEVER MIND)
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth ShootMePlease View Post
          Ha !!

We charge 100 bucks for data backup. That's always a crowd pleaser !!
          Better than what places charge for data recovery, as a co-worker and friend found out the hard way.... Ouch.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            Better than what places charge for data recovery, as a co-worker and friend found out the hard way.... Ouch.
            Eeew, yes. Friend of mine found out he was going to have to pay $2100 to get a 200g HD recovered after it failed. Holy crap, ouch.

Comment

The 3 laws of data security?
              Back up, back up & back up!

Comment

First thing I do when I get a computer is make a set of repair discs, second thing I do is set up an external drive to back shit up.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The more valuable it is the more places the data should be backed up to.

If its just your Steam games you don't really need to back it up, as you can always redownload them.

If its tax documents, business inventory and payrole, and other vital things like that a raid1 would be the absolute minimum. Raid5 is better, and its even better if you have the data stored in two different computers in two different locations, so even should the entire building burn down you're still okay.

Also, data recovery for a HDD is cheap. With an SSD its closer to $10k.

Comment

I learned the hard way with my previous novel chapters that I always should at least have a back up copy in case something happens. Nowadays I have at least two or more copies at hand [one or two online, printed, and hand-written besides the one I have in my memory stick] so why shouldn't someone have similar back-ups for their computer? Granted I really don't have anything valuable stored in my computer that I can't get back right away, but still.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      Always gotta love when people think that acting offended will magically lower the price.
                      I've noticed that too. Yep, acting offended and calling us thieves and scammers is really going to get me on your good side.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Opie: She said she's never coming back. Yeah. Everyone else will charge her for this too.
                        I'm also assuming the SC would have to pay for repair if she didn't buy from you.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I forgot to mention in my post above that I saved my own ass about 2 months ago.

my PC got borked (I possibly did something which is VERY possible) but not due to a virus or malware.

well I almost thought I killed my backup external drive (which is where I first noticed the problem with the backup taking wasaayyyyyy too long) but as soon as I hooked it up to the new PC, the driver went into repair mode and WONDER UPON WONDER I able to recover ALL of my backed up data from the external driver. got everything copied to the new machine and then I hooked up a NEW external drive and backed everything up again.

the drive basically held EVERYTHING I had ie. vids, pics, documents, spreadsheets, writings, etc.

Comment

I recommend people to use Dropbox for smaller, important files. Saying it is one thing, but having people back up their stuff on a regular basis doesn't always happen though. I'm guilty of that myself.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                              I recommend people to use Dropbox for smaller, important files. Saying it is one thing, but having people back up their stuff on a regular basis doesn't always happen though. I'm guilty of that myself.
                              one thing I learned in my IT career was

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, DISATER RECOVERY PLAN

which I why I have a scheduled backup run every night around 2am

I learned the hard way 2 PCs ago when my daughter killed off the machine and I had to reload/reinstall/reconfigure EVERYTHING manually.

Comment

Working...
                              X