This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most hated question...

If a machine malfunctions or isn't responding, most people would say something along the lines of, "Excuse me, but I think your machine isn't working, can you help?"

But a surprising number of people do this: they will either swagger up with a smug look, or stomp over with catbuttface, and spit, "So, what, the machines don't work here or something!?"

I don't know why it riles me up so much. It's not only rude, but the way they say it presumes that we are somehow purposely making their day more inconvenient, just 'cause! I feel like saying, "Yep, they don't work and you were none the wiser! Isn't that hilarious??" or "We are evil and want to take all your money, muahahaha."
    To top it off, 99% of the time the machine isn't malfunctioning at all, their dumb ass just forgot to lock the door (or something equally stupid).
    "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Generally, I prefer, "Uh, excuse me, but how do you work this thing? I can't figure it out."

That's a lot less confrontational, isn't it?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I get "your machine isn't working" a lot, because we have 3 automated vending machines for rail tickets. Of course, there's multiple faults that could cause issues, and most of them require different approaches to fixing; however, when I try to ask for more detail it usually transpires that they just assumed it wasn't working because ... well, that's rarely fully explained either.

My favourite is when they say, "it's not taking cash."
      "Coins or notes?"
      "Um..." *blankface*

Kristev: you admit the fault lies with you?! You'll never make a decent sucky customer with that attitude!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I can't help it. I'm cursed. I can't do anything right. Even be an SC.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

If I were working there:
          SC:"So, what, the machines don't work here or something!?"
          ME: *looks at watch* "Oh, They're on lunch. It's part of their union contract. Come back in 3 hours and they'll be on duty again"

But I'm a smartass, and would probably get fired

Comment

Quoth Mriswith View Post
            If I were working there:
            SC:"So, what, the machines don't work here or something!?"
            ME: *looks at watch* "Oh, They're on lunch. It's part of their union contract. Come back in 3 hours and they'll be on duty again"

But I'm a smartass, and would probably get fired

I should try that one!
            "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

"the machines are fine, they just don't LIKE you..."

Comment

Quoth Laund-o-rama Mama View Post
                If a machine malfunctions or isn't responding, most people would say something along the lines of, "Excuse me, but I think your machine isn't working, can you help?"

But a surprising number of people do this: they will either swagger up with a smug look, or stomp over with catbuttface, and spit, "So, what, the machines don't work here or something!?"
                "Yep, all of our three dozen machines are on the fritz, just because you tried one that doesn't work!"

The first, polite request is quite acceptable, the second, snarky comment is not acceptable. Wish people would learn that being polite will get them further than rudeness.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My thoughts:

SC: "What, so the machines here don't work or something?"
                  Me: "Oh, I'm terribly sorry sir. These machines are equipped with douchebag sensors and you must have tripped it. Darn it... now I have to reset it."

A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                    SC: "What, so the machines here don't work or something?"
                    Me: "Oh, I'm terribly sorry sir. These machines are equipped with douchebag sensors and you must have tripped it. Darn it... now I have to reset it."
                    And we have a winner here!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                    X