This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ellf View Post
    Then of course, there's the one station in town that's always 20 cents above average per gallon. It is also a liquor store.
    We have a "crustacean home" gas station that routinely charges 30-40c higher than local average, it sits right smack in the middle of "Doctor's Row" and near a couple of country clubs. Same company used to have other locations on that same road, but they kept closing them for no apparent reason as the years wore on... >_> The ONLY non "ShittyDiscountGas" location within about a five minutes' drive is waaay at the end of the particular (small) road; the closest gas station AT ALL is far enough down the road (going west) to be considered "not very close", and the closest one going east is nearly ten minutes away. It happens to be quite competitive with the places near it, tho). If you're on fumes, 5 minutes is a long trip. If you have lots and lots of munny and an overpriced car -- which many people in that area do -- you tend not to really shop around, so this location takes advantage of it.
    Last edited by EricKei; 10-05-2011, 01:44 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth bubblelittlepally View Post
      I guess people assume that the people who work in these stores actually set prices and are setting them high because we're either extremely greedy or doing it to solely piss them off.
      Yeah, I had some old fart grumbling at me for "jacking up the prices" when he saw me re-pricing a bunch of cans when the price changed. It's not like I set the prices, or even benefitted from them. I had to pay the same prices everyone else did, and I was just a poor college student.

Quoth camjuniper View Post
      She glared at me and said "Well, you can tell your manager about it!"
      Ignoring the part where it was the law, and something that was clearly beyond the store's control, why do they insist the employee tell the manager? They could talk to the manager themselves. They'd probably be more likely to listen to a customer than a lowly employee.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

We have a policy that, if you rent a boat from us, you have to buy gas from us. A customer asked me the prices for our gas, which was a fairly basic question, though as someone who is lucky enough to drive little enough to only fill her tank every three weeks, it doesn't mean much to me.

I explain, and the guy does the cat-butt face and asks how "can you get away with a dollar higher than the nearest gas station?"

I was so surprised by the question (brand new to retail ladies and gentlemen) that I stammered and stumbled through my explanation. I asked my boss what to say for future reference, who replied he would have refused service to the guy for that question, since we lose money off of gas in the long run.

Comment

There's been a conspiracy in my fair city for years, because the gas prices here are constantly more expensive than in bigger areas of the state, or even to the north or south of us. My dad drives for work, and he sees prices 10 cents or more less a gallon just an hour away.

Anyway, that never helped, either, when people from out of town would be in the area complaining. Yeah, we have to pay that same high price.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            why do they insist the employee tell the manager? They could talk to the manager themselves. They'd probably be more likely to listen to a customer than a lowly employee.
            QFT. And it's just as easy for the customer to yell at a manager as it is to yell at an employee, and far more likely to be productive.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

They don't mean "you" as in "the personal you", they mean "you" as in "the company" even if they say otherwise. And yes, I know its aggravating and stupid.

Comment

My personal favorite is "you people".

"You people booked me on the wrong flight!"

Actually, no - your agency did. But I'll fix it if you calm your ass down and speak to me like a human being.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  My personal favorite is "you people".

"You people booked me on the wrong flight!"
                  I always have to bite back the urge to go "What do you mean 'you people?'" when I hear that phrase.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Iseeyouthere View Post
                    "Sir/Ma'am/Thing, if it were me in charge of fuel prices, I'd make you pay 10 bucks per litre (gallon)"
                    Nitpick -- litres and gallons are nowhere near the same. The Imperial gallon is over 4.5 L while the American gallon is about 3.8 L.

Comment

Working...
                    X