This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady's husband leaves her

This lady wasn't really sucky, but I wasn't sure where to put this story.
    She came through my line and basically gave me a sob story, telling me her husband had left her, and that she had to take care of her kids. I offered my apologies and continued to ring up her order, which was very small. While I was doing this, she kept saying, "My husband left me, what am I going to do?" I felt very sorry for her and apologized about her situation again, to which she would reply the same thing again to me.
    She was buying 6 bottles of wine, so I'm thinking this lady is going to get hammered and not be thinking so much about her husband anymore.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM.

Yeah, sucky to involve a captive stranger in her personal life, but I'm thinking we'd all give her a pass on this one.

Comment

That's sad, I'd probably give her a pass too lol.

Comment

How old are the "kids"? Instead of wine, they may appreciate a kegger.

Sorry for the poor joke, for some reason that's the first thing I thought of. *shrugs*
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
          "My husband left me, what am I going to do?"
          Put out.

why is everybody lookin' at me like that?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

She was buying 6 bottles of wine,
            Maybe this is why he is leaving her?

Comment

She was buying 6 bottles of wine, so I'm thinking this lady is going to get hammered and not be thinking so much about her husband anymore.
              Quoth barainga View Post
              Maybe this is why he is leaving her?
              I sorta did the same thing after my Ex walked out. BUT I did not sob to the clerk at the liquior dept. The weekend after she left I got drunk for 2 days straight just to get some crap outta my system.

I did tell work what I was doing but needless to say it was real fun trying to "provide" tech support in a not so sober state at 5am when all the other tech were busy(I worked at a 24/7 tech support company at the time not my greatest moment but I needed it...)
              Last edited by Dave1982; 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM. Reason: broken quote tag
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Was the suck in buying the vino or telling the sob story? Tell me she didn't get a special discount....
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Sob stories just make me feel awkward if I don't know the person. I think the TC felt the same in the situation.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I understand needing to unload, to get sympathy from SOMEBODY, but the constant repetition is bit much and makes me wonder if she had already polished off a bottle before coming to your store.

As someone who has been known to kick back with a few ciders after a bad day, I'm not judging her on the wine, just the whine.

Comment

I think she was trying to get a discount.
                      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

The poor lady, it sounds like she was in shock and wasn't thinking as she normally does. She probably wouldn't divulge such information on an unsuspecting employee or stranger, but sometimes, you don't have as much control of your emotions as you normally would.

This lady came into Merkin's when I worked there, and asked to be seated away from everyone...(Merkin's is next to a major county hospital)...because her mom was in surgery and not doing well. I sat her in a private room and got her a very sweet server. Over the next 2 hours, we checked on her, etc. When she left, she hugged us both and handed us money, which we politely refused the first time, but she insisted on it. She told us she was very thankful for our kindness.... (See, I'm not evil alllll the time!)
                        Last edited by Athaelia; 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM. Reason: shitty spelling

Comment

I've also heard parents who have lost children say that in the earliest, darkest days, they would literally stop people and say "My child died." Definitely shock talking, and a need for someone to somehow make things right again. Yes, very uncomfortable for the unsuspecting person on the other end of the story, but yeah, I'd have to probably just let that one go and count my blessings. If she was just looking for a discount, she didn't really try very hard...most scammers are much more persistent
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                            I've also heard parents who have lost children say that in the earliest, darkest days, they would literally stop people and say "My child died." Definitely shock talking, and a need for someone to somehow make things right again. Yes, very uncomfortable for the unsuspecting person on the other end of the story, but yeah, I'd have to probably just let that one go and count my blessings.
                            That reminds me of when my BFF's first husband passed away suddenly. We were sitting in her kitchen a couple of days later when the phone rang. She answered it, and it was the CS for the mattress place they had bought a bed from a few weeks earlier, calling to see how they like the new bed. I swear, she said most sincerely "Oh, he loved that bed so much - he passed away in it!" That poor poor CS on the other end of the phone....
                            Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                            At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Oh dear...yeah, the poor CS! This wasn't as bad, but once I got a call from a man who was doing a bathroom renovation as part of a larger home renovation. Apparently his wife had been the designer for the rest of the house, and then he dropped the bomb on me...she'd since died of cancer and he was finishing the bathroom according to how she would have wanted it. Very sad...
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X