This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam's doesn't need to hire fat people

I recently got a job as a cashier at a certain warehouse club store that is owned by the Mart of Wal. On my first day of being by myself on a register, a man walks into my line gives me the glare of doom.

"Sam's doesn't need to hire fat people."

I'm sorry sir with a bit of a pooch, but I'm not that big. I've seen people bigger than me. You should look at yourself first, before you go spouting off that we don't need to hire fat people.
    Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Sam's doesn't need to have stupid members with a chip on their shoulders who then take it out on the poor slob on the register who is helpless to do anything. Oh yeah, they can get on the defensive but the minute they do that then they're called "Rude" & are given a coaching and or fired.

Comment

I can think of some great comeback lines, but the SC would have been immensely butt-hurt and probably reported you to your boss.

I hate how SCs can dish it out but they can't take it.

Comment

I'm a (business) member of Sam's. I would never consider telling ANYONE there what you were told. I appreciate the people who work there, and like them.

But, I'm not a SC.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
          I can think of some great comeback lines, but the SC would have been immensely butt-hurt and probably reported you to your boss.

I hate how SCs can dish it out but they can't take it.
          That's where a customer or two (or three or several) within hearing distance needs to pipe up ... SCs can hardly demand that management "fire" other customers.

Well, of course they can, but how likely is it that that will happen.

Comment

"Sam's doesn't need to hire fat people."
            As a matter of fact, they do. Discrimination is illegal. Fat, skinny, short, tall, whatever, cannot be considered when hiring.

Although a more enjoyable answer would be, "They don't need to let assholes in here, either, but clearly they do."
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

*looks sc up and down*
              "well sir I'd respond but my mother always told me if I can't say something nice...."
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

So what should fat people live off welfare or something? OR just die...I'm guessing that's more in line with that person's ideal.

Comment

You know, I consider myself blessed that I didn't have to endure much bullheaded stupid bigotry like that when I worked in retail. That said, I wish someone had said this to me, so I could fire back with SOMETHING. I might have gotten fired, but I would have considered it worth it. They don't pay me to absorb personal insults.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Guy was a jerk. Too bad you couldn't tear into him.

Because my boss & I were actually reading about an obesity discrimination case the other day, I feel the need to add the following:

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    As a matter of fact, they do. Discrimination is illegal. Fat, skinny, short, tall, whatever, cannot be considered when hiring.
                    Some discrimination is illegal.

But in the US, weight/appearance are not specifically covered in any of the federal anti-discrimination Acts.

Morbid obesity, even voluntary (i.e. not caused by medications like steroids needed for other reasons), is protected under Americans with Disabilities, but they're pretty specific about: ADA Definition of Disability click on: 902.2(c)(5).

Some local legislatures (Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Washington DC) have ordinances against weight or appearance discrimination.

Comment

that is CRAZY..! i've actually had a customer say in front of everybody ''this is what (the store i work at) gets for hiring all these welfare mexican people(i am not mexican he was just a idiot) next time ill go to the white store across town''. took everything inside of me not to jump across the register and punch him.

Comment

My b/f has told me two stories that made him want to jump the counter and him being very tall this would be a very bad thing.

Tale one - working in a toy shop, a man began to make racial slurs about his name (he is half arabic and has a name to go with it). b/f takes it at first, asks the person to leave as he will not serve him. Guy doesn't take a hint and gets more abusive, b/f walks off gets his manager tells him a bit of what went on and goes into the back of the shop and hits some metal shelves they dent so that the first shelf isn't useable and the rest are slightly bent. They were still in store for at least five years...

Tale two - Next job selling tickets, refuses to sell a ticket as they didn't have the correct stuff, they do the racial stuff again at this point he closed his window walked into the tea room and punched the wall and damaged it slightly.

Both times he didn't jump the counter and hit them because he isn't that kind of person but needed to rid himself of the tension that had build up
                        Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I hate customers like that. ONe time this one guy kept calling one of my cw's Michael Jackson and calling him black man. He wanted him to shop with him on his lunch break. Well being as my friend was on lunch he told the guy he can do it himself. and that the guy WILL show him respect next time. Now you all know damn well you do NOT TELL a customer not to make racial comments. Said customer DEMANDED corporate number, Manager number, etc.

How DARE that employee tell the customer to shop on his own after being racist! The nerve. :rollseyes:
                          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

That asshole called you fat when he was fat himself?!! Pot meet kettle. Frozen trout meet head.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Someone needs a mirror.
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X