This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel love, kids be nice to to your customer service agents

Ok so I am a 20 year old female who works at comfort suites hotel. So today my lovely experiences of snooty customers who truely think they are the only human beings in the world.

I'm standing at the front desk doing my usual paper work at about 10am and a rather large gentleman comes into the lobby with his stupid bluetooth (I hate those with a passion).

Well I greet him in a friendly manner of "Good morning. How are you today *Smiles*" While he either didn't notice my exsistance or just chose to ignore my because he walts up to the desk and proceeds to flick his id and credit card at me without a word said to me (the rage is building folks)

I ask him sir are you trying to check in now? in the nicest way I can, he proceeds to snort and says yeeeeeees in a rather rude tone. I explain to him that our check in time is at 3pm due to the fact that I have no clean rooms to place him in and I really can't check people in before check out time which is at 11am.

He then slowly turns at me and says this "Listen to me young lady, I am not going to wait until 3pm to get into my room, now you can go find one of your housekeepers and tell them to get me a room" (More rage building at the lack of respect) I proceed to explain to him I am not checking him in at 10am I can do my best to get him a room at 1pm that's the earliest I could check him in, and proceed to try to give him options to do while he waits, we have a business center (He looked like a businessman) a pool, free wifi he can use his laptop.

Well while in the middle trying to force myself to be as understanding as humanly possible he shouts, now this is from memory folks "How dare you! I am a diamond member (high level on our rewards program) and I demand my room now, where is your manager I will speak to him (he assumes its a guy haha, it is, but still) I tell him my manager is not in and I hand him his credit card and id back and tell him I will see him at 3pm. Well a couple of not so nice words fumbled out of his mouth and then he decided to scream that he is canceling his reservation and will never be staying with us again...I said ok then. (I think that response really upset him) well anyways he stormed out of the lobby and guess what...he came back at 3pm lol.

Well the only thing that will really come out of this experience is that people can be real assholes and I'm probably going to get a terrible comment on our score but hey please lets try to realize that you are not the most important person in the world and had he not thrown his card and id at me and proceeded to scream at me, I more than likely would have had him wait about 20 mins and got him a room...but he was a jerk so I made him wait.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 10-04-2011, 06:52 PM. Reason: Wall O' Text

Imagine how pissed he'd have been if you had indeed cancelled his reservation. OH BOY would he have exploded. Would have been worth the negative score card, in my opinion. What's he going to say? "THE CLERK CANCELLED MY RESERVATION AFTER I TOLD HER TO CANCEL MY RESERVATION!"

Comment

been there and done that

One hotel I worked at would tell people that the only way to absolutely guarantee an early morning checkin was to pay for the night before. One morning just before I was to go off shift (7am) a women came in insisiting she had an early checkin - problem was we were sold out the night before and she did not pay for the privilege. Oh boy did she go off on me.

Comment

I'm reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqm4H3m3Ew

Comment

I like how you said you could try to squeeze him in at 1pm, then after he went off you went back to 3pm.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            I like how you said you could try to squeeze him in at 1pm, then after he went off you went back to 3pm.

^-.-^
            I noticed that, too. Well done, brownies2theface, and welcome to the forum!
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Some assholes never learn: If you are rude, unpleasant, and condescending, some workers might bend over for you, but others simply use it against you.
              Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
              Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
              Fiancee: What?!
              Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                Some assholes never learn: If you are rude, unpleasant, and condescending, some workers might bend over for you, but others simply use it against you.
                Exactly. You might get mixed results being an asshole, but when you are nice you will always get the best possible solution. Have you ever heard a worker on these forums say "And the customer was so nice in their complaint that I decided to make her wait 4 hours for no real reason, she was just so nice I felt like she should wait to learn her lesson."

Comment

I've always had excellent luck with 'Is there somewhere you can store my bags, and can you recommend any local sights within walking distance?'

I usually get my bags stored, and a recommendation to a lovely or interesting tourist museum, park, or whatever, plus the clerk's favourite coffee shop. Bonus!

I've never actually got an early check-in that I can remember, but I've got my luggage stored someplace safe. And that's usually what I REALLY wanted. (Okay, sometimes I could've wished for a chance to shower. But meh.)
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I see that he came back later....perhaps other hotels had the same policies and didn't cave in to him either. So with no where else to go he came crawling back to you maybe?

Comment

Yeah, I always liked having the power to control things for jerks/especially nice people when I worked night audit. You wanna be an asshole? Fine. But you've just earned yourself a downgrade to the motel-style rooms out by the pool. Really nice lady who realized she couldn't afford the room and wanted to know if I'd just let her sleep out in her car in the parking lot? You get our special deal coupon rate and I'll "forget" to charge you the cash deposit.

Comment

You know, I get really tired of being told that we need to tolerate this kind of behavior in hotels. I know everyone needs money right now, but that doesn't mean we should tolerate that kind of behavior.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          I've never actually got an early check-in that I can remember, but I've got my luggage stored someplace safe.
                          About 2/3 of the time I got an early check-in Even though I've not worked in a hotel since the '80's I know that checking in early is a crapshot.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Too bad you couldn't have told him "I'm sorry sir, you cancelled your reservation. We're fresh out of rooms" when he came back, just as a final lesson teaching blow. Then again, he probably would've flown into a lobby destroying rage. *shudders* Nicely handled, by the way.
                            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth brownies2theface View Post
                              proceeds to flick his id and credit card at me without a word said to me
                              "Thank you for turning that in. I'll put it in our lost and found in case they come looking for it." Turn, go in office without another word.

"THAT WAS MINE."

"Oh, no. That belongs to someone who will be checking in at 3."

Comment

Working...
                              X