This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More from the Energy Company

b/g i work for a major energy supplier in the UK, in theory i deal with people moving home and similar calls only. In relaity i deal withh a bit of everything.

I'm not psychic

There are certain questions which you will be asked when you call me up and say you have moved house, none of the following should be a surprise, yet people actually ask me why they have to tell me these things.

The old address
    The new address
    Their name
    When they moved

How did you think the call was going to go?
    SC: I have moved
    Me: Thanks, bye.

Hitler started small

When a bill is of a very small amount we will let it roll over to the next period rather than chasing for payment. we still have to send the bill out however. So we are not "like Hitler" for sending you a bill for 19p, we are simply informing you of the facts.

It will catch up

Similarly the amounts will not roll over for ever. the £1.57 bill you have is for the last 9 months, you haven't paid the 2 previous bills of 47p & 92p, this does not mean we can write the bill off.

Scamming Fail

Another attempt to gain access to someone elses accounts by claiming to work for "energy company", lets count the ways you failed.

1) You spoke to me on an inbound call, unlike every single line used by people who actually work here.
    2) You gave yourself a job title that doesn't exist
    3) Even if it did exist, then the job you are claiming to do wouldn't need the information you want.
    4) You are claiming to be calling from our "new supplies" department in Durham, despite the fact that there is no "new supplies" specific department with that name.
    5) Similarly there is no call centre in Durham.
    6) Simililarly you are calling on a mobile number.
    7) Similiarly i can hear your tv behind you.
    8) You want to speak to my supervisor? wrong job title for my manager.

Amazingly enough he didn't get anywhere.

How not to get help

i have an opening spiel which ends with, can i get your name please?
    SC: No you don't need it under data protection laws, you will get them to call me back in the next hour or i will sue. *hang up*

Sure, i'll get right on it. i don't know who you are, what address you're calling from, why your calling who you want to speak to or what number they should call you back on....next call

Big Brother is watching

Part of our job is to get as much information from the customer as possible, so when i had a customer who would only give me his surname, the fact he was married and his mobile number all whilst screaming obsenities i decided to use my detective skills.
    2 minutes later, i had his full name, his wifes full name, their main address, their phone numbers, both DOBs, the name of the company they run, their email addresses and bank information, all legally and all part of my job.
    I can't wait till he calls back.

You can't keep my records

You lived at 7 Liverpool street from 01/01 to 09/09, you bills were.....(you get the idea)
    this is stuff we keep records of, we are not going to destroy the records which proof that you lived their, we supplied you and you paid the bill.
    It's not against the law to keep these details, it's against the law to lose them.

Reason #2548 why i love Manchetser
    Wlaking down the road the other day and other side was a full size Dalek trundling along, so advertisements or anything nearby to explain it just a random dalek,
    i love this city.

Wow. Sounds like Manchester is fun, though it has a fair amount of dumbbunnies.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Hitler sent out bills for 19p? I don't remember that tiny but fascinating detail in any of my history courses ...

Comment

Quoth energyguy View Post
        There are certain questions which you will be asked when you call me up and say you have moved house, none of the following should be a surprise, yet people actually ask me why they have to tell me these things.

The old address
        The new address
        Their name
        When they moved

How did you think the call was going to go?
        SC: I have moved
        Me: Thanks, bye.

Oh I get the same thing where I work!

Actual examples, with the last line being what I [I]wish [I]I could say in response

SC - I need to update my address
        Me - Sure, and what was your membership number?
        SC - What? Why do you need that?!
        Me - Oh my, silly me! You're right, I don't! Hang on, let me grab a piece of paper...okay...guy called to update address...okay...all done...thanks sir!

SC - Yeah I moved houses
        Me - Ok, I've got your policy here, now what was the new address?
        SC - Um, like, why?
        Me - Hahahahaha no I'm just kidding ma'am! Hang on, I'll leave a file note...Sarah Brown moved...okay...all done! When you need your mail sent we will just out on the envelope 'hey postie, just send to Sarah Brown's new place'...thanks for calling!

SC - Hey I moved and I gotta update my address
        Me - Sure, and what was the new address?
        SC - I dunno
        Me - Oh that's fine sir, I don't know either, so that makes two of us, hahahah oh my. Well, you have a good day now, and thanks for letting us know!

When I get these types of calls there is usually a brief pause as I sit here, mouth agape, just staring at the phone

EDITED - due to numerous spelling errors. Damn you speed typing, damn you to hell

Comment

Wlaking down the road the other day and other side was a full size Dalek trundling along, so advertisements or anything nearby to explain it just a random dalek,
          i love this city.
          I saw an article a while back about a guy in a wheelchair whose mates had built him a dalek shell around his conveyance.

http://mangawitch.blogspot.com/2008/...-by-dalek.html

Looks like Wolverhampton, but he could have been having a day out.

Rapscallion

Comment

i love this city.
            Used to be you could get away from them just by going up some stairs....they they gained the ability to fly....
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Used to be you could get away from them just by going up some stairs....they they gained the ability to fly....
              EL.E.VATE!!!!!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

You used to be able to get Dalek 'dressing-up' costumes for kids. One of my earliest memories is looking out of the window in London (we moved to Norfolk when I was 4) and seeing a Dalek going along the opposite side of the street. IIRC it was a red one....
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

How not to get help

i have an opening spiel which ends with, can i get your name please?
                  SC: No you don't need it under data protection laws, you will get them to call me back in the next hour or i will sue. *hang up*

Sure, i'll get right on it. i don't know who you are, what address you're calling from, why your calling who you want to speak to or what number they should call you back on....next call
                  These idiots always make me shrug. Every now & then, I get them when they call back, and get to tell them that they gave us no information, not even a phone number, so it's their own fault we never returned their call. Fun!

Maybe the dalek was looking for some of your customers...."EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Maybe the dalek was looking for some of your customers...."EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"
                    Whoever thought we would be rooting for the Daleks?
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Whoever thought we would be rooting for the Daleks?
                      You mean you don't?
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

i love this city.
                        That....I have no words for how beautiful that is.

Comment

Then there are people who call in about an order and don't have an order number but offer to give me their Social Security Number to look them up... Why on earth would High End Home Store have your SSN on file and why are you so blase' about giving it out?? Hell, we can't even see your full credit card number, nor the security code...just the last 4 digits and the expiration date. (Oh, and some people get mad because we can't place a new order with a card number they used before just by pulling it up...yeah, we kinda take your security seriously, we're weird that way.)

I recently bought my own bright yellow 5" tall Dalek that I can't wait to bring to my new space at work (when they're done with the buildout and I have an assigned desk)...alas, it makes no sounds nor does it move on its own, but I can pose it and roll it around and my iPhone can certainly provide sound effects
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

i love this city.
                            i wonder if that's the guy i saw a video about once. he was out of work due to disability and decided to have some fun with his motorized wheelchair and make a full-sized Dalek mod for it.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                              Hitler sent out bills for 19p? I don't remember that tiny but fascinating detail in any of my history courses ...
                              Don't you remember the *posters*?

"When you ride alone.....
                              ...Hitler bills you for 19p!"
                              P*S

Comment

Working...
                              X