This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I didn't know you were putting them on the same ticket!"

BG: Fabric store. If you want to make a costume/outfit/quilt/other fabric craft, you pick the bolts of fabric you want from the shelves, bring it to the cutting counter and hand one bolt at a time to the employee. Tell her how much you want of the first bolt, she enters it into her handheld computer, measures the fabric and cuts it to length. Do the same with the next bolt, and the next, until you have all your fabric cut, then she prints off a slip with the list of fabrics and a bar code that you then take to the register. [/BG]

Two college-age women come up to the cutting counter where I am working with a variety of fabrics. One talks about the Marie Antoinette costume she is making, describing it to the other as she is telling me how much of each fabric she wants. She says she's had sewing experience and sounds like she knows what she is talking about. She's got about seven different cuts, I finish cutting her fabrics, print off her slip and they go on their merry way.

Ten minutes later, five minutes before the end of my shift, they come back with more fabric to cut. I cut the new fabric, print a new slip, then the first girl pulls out the previous one, which she hadn't paid for, and tells me she needs the items on both tickets re-seperated into two groups; she was buying one set and her friend was buying the other.

So why didn't she tell me this before I started in the first place? "I didn't know you were putting them on the same ticket!"

Um, honey, you were the one handing me the fabrics and watching me put them into the handheld! If you want things in two seperate batches, you have to tell me beforehand, as I do not have ESP!

It took me a while, but I was able to take four items off the first slip and combine them with three on the second to form one new slip, then combine the three remaining items on both tickets into a second new slip. It's not as easy as cutting and pasting on Word; you have to scan both slips, manually void certain items, print out one ticket, them manually enter the other items into the handheld for the second ticket.

So much hassle and misunderstanding could've been avoided if she'd told me she wanted two seperate orders and divided up the bolts in the first place.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Yeah, but you know, it sounds as if that was a last-minute idea -- like, they're on their way to the counter and suddenly one of them goes, "Oh, wait, we should each just pay for our own!"

And count me in as one of the people who agrees with the link "A page we can all agree with"!!

Comment

OK, so you get some fabric cut and leave with a slip, then come back later and ask for something that is not the norm and involves a lot of work for the person helping you. Maybe, just maybe, you could apologize for the trouble and offer to just take the second slip as originally generated? At least then, even if things WERE done your way, the employee would feel like he or she was respected, and that you were not a complete asshat. (Please note that "you" is used generically here and certainly is not aimed at XCashier )
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

she didn't notice because she was too busy preening about her costume to her friend instead of paying attention to the task at hand

and of course her lack of attention is everyone else's fault... never her own

Comment

I can't fathom being mean to my fabric ladies.

A lot of times I pick up supplies for multiple quilts on a single run. I don't pester my nice fabric ladies about multiple tickets, I just sort it out when I get home, because it's my responsibility to keep my stuff sorted out.

Reminds me, there's a huge fat quarter sale tomorrow. *drool*
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Wow, at my local fabric store the phrase "Thou shalt not anger the cutting counter ladies" is heavily implied. I wouldn't even think to ask them to do something like this.
            These girls just didn't want to do the math to figure out who owed what.
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those handhelds a PITA? Isn't it way harder to scan the ticket to set up the new tickets for these girls than scanning the bolt?
            I think my cutting counter ladies would have laughed in their faces.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
              These girls just didn't want to do the math to figure out who owed what.
              Among other things, yeah. Our state doesn't have sales tax, so that's one less step to divide things up. If one of them had a calculator, they could've figured it out easily enough (or just divided up the fabric beforehand and asked for seperate slips to begin with )
              Quoth auntiem View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those handhelds a PITA? Isn't it way harder to scan the ticket to set up the new tickets for these girls than scanning the bolt?
              Well, yes and no. I'd rather not have to go back to writing the tickets out by hand. Plus, I would've had to cancel out the old tickets in the handhelds if I'd done it the other way, so six of one, half dozen of the other. And it was almost the end of an eight hour shift and I just wanted to get this over with.
              Quoth auntiem View Post
              I think my cutting counter ladies would have laughed in their faces.
              Don't think I wasn't tempted, but I didn't want them crying to Corporate. Sometimes it's worth going through one hassle to avoid another.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
              X