X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing: does not compute

Today is the day of printing issues.

Explorer is mean

No less than three people needed me to show them where the print and print preview function is in the 'new' explorer (when was the update? how many months ago?). (It stole Chrome's no menu bar look--you have to click on a little gear on the right). Understandable, yes. Except they've used our computers and printed from them since the explorer update. Are they asking someone to point it out to them every time they print?

has just enough cat5 to hang herself with

SC: I need help. I'm in word and I opened print preview to see what it would look like and now I can't get out of it. I can't close print preview.
    Me: Okay, let me take a look. [gets up, follow SC to computer]
    A quick glance shows nothing out of the ordinary.
    SC: I want to print and I can't close this.
    Me: Okay, well, you either click the little printer icon here [points to printer icon in MS Word print preview] or you can close this window by click on 'close' in the upper right here [points to 'x close' on the screen].
    SC: . . . . Oh. Thanks.
    Me: You're welcome. [walks back to desk]

SC: [a few minutes later] Do you have it yet?
    [Nota bene: print jobs are sent from patron access computers to the reference computer. We accept the money for the job and send it to the printer]
    Me: [scans print release screen] No, I don't have anything for you yet. [sometimes it takes a few seconds to pop up]
    SC: Well, I saved it to the desktop and then I clicked print and then it asked for the file name so I gave it the file name. It's not there?
    Me: Hmm, let me take a look. [follow SC to her computer]
    Her word doc is on the screen. There's a large empty box on the right of her doc.
    SC: So I did this [SC goes through the motions of printing--giant windows button, print, etc]. Oh, wait. I want this [check print current page] and two copies [changes to 2].
    SC click OK. Something flickers too fast to be seen and then a 'print to file' box comes up (looks just like 'save as.'
    SC: And I told it this file [gestures with mouse. Looks intently at me].
    Me: I don't recognize that [didn't, at the time, notice the print to file nature of the box].
    SC: [clicks save] See I saved it here on the desktop [drags doc screen down and points out two saved instances of the file--her save and the print to file].
    Me: That shouldn't make a difference. You don't need to save a file to print it.
    SC: Oh. Well. That's what I did.
    Me: Okay, let me see. [Click print. Look over print screen; looks mostly normal--correct printer. Check printer icon in the tray next to the clock--icon is in color, should be working fine--we've had a rash of computers effing up their printer settings, but that had settled down. Notice box for 'print to file' is checked] Oh, here we go. Okay, this button that says 'print to file' shouldn't be selected. Otherwise all it's really doing is saving another copy.
    SC: Oh. I clicked that because I was looking for 'fit to page.'
    I uncheck the box, set it to current page, 2 copies and click okay. All works properly, triggering our print system. A box comes up and asks her to verify 2 copies for 20 cents. I explain it to her and she clicks 'ok.' I go back to my desk, accept her money and release the print job. SC walks to printer to pull out her papers.

SC: It printed this on the bottom. [holds up printed page]
    Me: [realization dawning--now know what that box on her word doc was and why she wanted 'fit to page'] Oh, that's the comment box for editing--
    SC: [stalks away]
    Me: [closes open mouth; stares after her, shaking my head. No point in finishing my sentence or offer of help]

SC: [moments later appearing at my desk] Do you have mine?
    Me: Did you manage to--
    SC: I clicked delete.
    Me: Oh, good. [brings up print release station and highlights her jobs]
    SC: [crotchety voice] Do I have to pay?
    Me: [sweet smile] Twenty cents, please.

Seriously? You did print preview, realized it wasn't what you wanted, messed with the print settings to the point that you couldn't use it and still sent it. You're paying for it and your reprint.

Sigh. So glad I'm off the ref desk now.

Deepest sympathies. It's so frustrating to help people that screw up their printing and then look at you with hostility as you try to figure out what they've done, what they want to do, and how to accomplish it.

I had an obnoxious regular today ask me to release his print jobs (instead of doing it coin-op himself) and he'd pay later because he wasn't sure they'd be printing exactly right. I played dumb and stonewalled him and he coin-op released them himself. I do believe he was trying to work it so that if he messed up and had to reprint his documents he'd only have to pay for one set. Hah, didn't slide that one past me!

Also today, had a 12 year old and his mother absolutely unable to understand my instructions on how to print unless I was saying "Click here. Now click here. Now click this..." I don't know why I expected them to act as if they'd ever printed something from a computer before.

And today was a slow day. Gotta love public libraries!

Comment

Yeah, it's not the helping I mind; it's the attitude when being helped. And just as bad, I think, are those who don't bother to learn. Not those who have trouble learning or just need a refresher or who, despite their (and my!) best efforts just can't get it, but those who REFUSE to learn how to do something basic that they want to do on a near-daily basis.

Was weather utterly divine in your realm, too? It was slow for me yesterday, too. I blame the gorgeous sunshine and 80 degree weather (especially after we'd all given up hope of another nice day).

Comment

"Sorry I was away from the desk for 20 minutes, the patron didn't know how to use a mouse." That's all you have to say, everyone totally understands. Not that my non-library friends can quite believe it.

I really don't mind helping the people who need to accomplish something and don't know how to use a computer, my heart goes out to them. Unless they continue the belligerent attitude for longer than 5 minutes despite my best reassuring and accepting and helpful attitude.

Absolutely beautiful weather. I love October. I think it was slow due to that and to football. We had a staffer drop in from the main library in yesterday and comment about how busy it was. We laughed and laughed. Dude, no, if it was busy one of the three of us on the reference desk would have waved to you while helping two patrons. Instead, I'm conducting you on a tour while the others get tasks done. This is sloooooww!

Comment

Working...
        X