X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I work in retail too!

Long long long. B/g J is my supervisor. Busy day in the store, end b/g

Im on the till when a man comes up and wants to return a pair of trainers.

Me "Do you have your reciept?" No refunds or exchanges without it. For anyone, ever

SC "No, but I work in retail too. I've spoken to trading standards and they said you WILL refund me and that I don't need my receipt.

Me thinking" bullshit on so many levels, if nobody needs a reciept why do you think we bother giving them out?" I just know he's going to be a pain and pass him to J so she can tell him... I often find they'll take no better from a manager.

J informs him of refund policy. SC tells her that he works in retail and knows he doesn't need a receipt.
    J informs him of refund policy. SC tells her that he works in retail and knows he doesn't need a receipt.
    Rinse and repeat about five more times, until SC storms out informing us that he will "get trading standards onto us" Good luck getting us in trouble for following our company's policies to the letter! And also without proof of purchase, I really don't know why trading standards would tell him he was entitled to a refund..?

to CS Yeah, I love it when customers threaten to have your job for following policy. Maybe the company is doing something wrong but hopefully if they are they'll fix it, and there's no reason to believe you will get in trouble for following your own standard operating procedures. In fact, I am often reminded by my team leads that we have to follow our own SOP even if one of the other call centers (owned by the client and not my 3rd party company) tells us otherwise, and as long as we do that we won't lose points when our calls are graded. That SC is a dope.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

With no receipt, making an irelevant point that he works in retail, and insisting a policy used by hundreds of stores is against trading standards laws - what do you bet they've already been worn as well?

And for those who speak only one version of English, LOL,
      trainers = sneakers

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather
        And for those who speak only one version of English, LOL,
        trainers = sneakers
        I've always thought trainers =/= sneakers.

Comment

The ones that always claim that they too work in the customer service industry in retail, call centers, etc. to demand their way are always the ones that are so full of shit. Never fails.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
            The ones that always claim that they too work in the customer service industry in retail, call centers, etc. to demand their way are always the ones that are so full of shit. Never fails.
            Although, I did have one woman who was very upset overall, but said because she'd worked in customer service for so long she did not want to take it out on the first person she talked to so she waited until she had composed herself to call in. She had legitimate complaints too. I was almost teary-eyed as I thanked her profusely for caring so much about the person on the other end of the phone.
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth tillgirl View Post
              * large snip*
              And also without proof of purchase, I really don't know why trading standards would tell him he was entitled to a refund..?
              I'd be surprised if he actually contacted them. He just figured all he had to do was cite "trading standards" to get you guys to immediately back down. Yeah, that works about as well as "I'll sue!!"

Comment

And "I'm going to call <CEO who they call by their first name> tomorrow morning and tell them how horribly I've been treated"...go right ahead...

Comment

Well surely if this special little snowflake works in retail, they'd know that you can't bring shit back without a receipt. I could go to some helpless retail employee and make stuff up too and say, "I work in retail too and management lets us defecate from the ceiling" and proceed to do what I want, but that doesn't mean it's allowed OR that I actually work in retail (I don't).

I'm surprised he didn't ask about the back room too.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    I've always thought trainers =/= sneakers.
                    When I lived over there (most of the 90's) what I always heard referred to as trainers there were what I would have called sneakers - just general laced up canvas shoes with rubber soles, like you'd wear with your jreans or your kids would go out to play in. When my daughter needed "new trainers" for gym class, what I bought was what I'd have called sneakers back in the states.

Of course, nowadays, with running shoes, hiking shoes, walking shoes, take out the trash shoes, LOL, I'm not sure what to call anything anymore, especially as my child is grown and not here to advise me, LOL.

Could possibly be a regional difference I'm not aware of - just as here in the U.S. that sandwich you eat might be a sub, hero or grinder depending on what part of the country you're in.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      sub, hero or grinder depending on what part of the country you're in.
                      You forgot hoagie.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                        When my daughter needed "new trainers" for gym class, what I bought was what I'd have called sneakers back in the states.
                        If I'm thinking right, that sounds like plimsolls or "pumps"

Trainers are generally running/sports shoes (Think Nike, Addidas etc) although the type you referred to do tend to get bunched in with that classification in areas too.

As an aside, I love the varying little differences in language English speaking countries have, although when I was young, I did have a hard time not thinking of the actress Farrah Fawcett as Farrah Tap

ETA I have a pair of trainers sat in their box here that are too small for me, simply because I lost the receipt and I didn't remember to take them back to the shop for ages
                        I'm just glad they were cheap ones!
                        Last edited by Cazzi; 10-10-2011, 05:49 AM.
                        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I don't see why anyone would allow a return without a receipt. Thats the way the world works.

Comment

So in England returns are required to be allowed by law? In the states it is not required by law to accept returns. What most states do require is that you post the return policy, whether it is no returns at all, or a certain time frame.
                            Last edited by Teskeria; 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM. Reason: added missing words to make sense

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                              So in England returns are required to be allowed by law? In the states it is not required by law to accept returns. What most states do require is that you post the return policy, whether it is no returns at all, or a certain time frame.
                              We have the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (updated 2002? I think) which many a good customer in the UK will know to quote.
                              As soon as I start thinking
                              That I'm sensible and sane
                              The Random Hedgehog comes along
                              And fiddles with my Brain
                              (from card I got)

Comment

Working...
                              X