This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier today

I had this one woman call earlier and it was like pulling teeth to get information out of her about what she actually wanted. Then I told her about all the hotels the company owns in the area (in detail, right down to the age of the hotel) and she says "well I don't know which one to stay at". "How do I make the decision?".

I said "Well, if you like you can think about it and give us a call back" because she'd already kept me on the phone nearly a half hour and I can't tell her what hotel to choose, just sit there while she hems and haws.

And the dumbest question of them all? "I know I'm coming to a big city and I'll be staying in the downtown area, how safe is it?".

Ummm, as safe as any other city that has 1.5 million people just in the main city alone, and 4 million in the Metro area. Stupid question. Do YOU really want to walk around by yourself at night in the downtown of a major city? Are you stupid? And why would I be honest when you ask that question? My managers have left standing orders that we are to tell people its safe no matter whats happened (even though there was a shooting last Mardi Gras, and this area has a high crime rate, even in the good areas).

But no, I can't say anything like that to her so I said "I walk around down here all the time and I feel fine. Just be careful. Its as safe as any other big city downtown". So I'm not exactly lying. Not exactly. After all, I DO walk around downtown by myself DURING THE DAY. I'd NEVER walk around by myself at night here.

Drives me crazy the stupid things people say.

And the thing? I actually feel guilty about telling people that.

A guest just called about changing her dates of stay. I guess I was too abrupt for her because I was telling her the rates, that they change every day several times a day, etc, and her response was that I was being rude. I admit that I get deadpan sometimes but I was NOT rude. I almost told her that she should try doing this nearly every day for three years straight and see how polite and excited you get when someone calls. Eventually you just get deadpan with no emotion whatsoever and purely matter of fact. But no, I was a good girl and apologized for it seeming that way.
    Last edited by Moirae; 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM.

Well, I can see that her indecision was really irritating. She needs to make up her mind and then call you back.

But I kind of disagree about the safety question. Some places have lower crime rates than others. Yeah, I personally wouldn't walk around late at night in any city I'm not familiar with (and a couple I AM familiar with), but a couple of times I did ask a hotel staffer what the immediate area was like: Was it kinda run-down, or a nicer area? That tells you a lot about the relative safetey. She probably would be better off googling crime rates in your city. In some cities, a shooting would qualify as major drama, and in others, "just another Saturday night." Your answer wasn't rude, though. I wouldn't feel guilty about it.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"Just another Saturday night" made me lol because I'm so familiar with that concept.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Well, I can see that her indecision was really irritating. She needs to make up her mind and then call you back.

But I kind of disagree about the safety question. Some places have lower crime rates than others. Yeah, I personally wouldn't walk around late at night in any city I'm not familiar with (and a couple I AM familiar with), but a couple of times I did ask a hotel staffer what the immediate area was like: Was it kinda run-down, or a nicer area? That tells you a lot about the relative safetey. She probably would be better off googling crime rates in your city. In some cities, a shooting would qualify as major drama, and in others, "just another Saturday night." Your answer wasn't rude, though. I wouldn't feel guilty about it.
        Yeah, thats the problem. We can't tell them if the crime is bad even if it is. Asking me is kind of dumb. You're much better looking it up on the net than relying on what I say.

We have seriously been told that telling people its not safe at night will get us written up, or even fired.

Comment

Working...
        X