This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a NON spineless manager! Long

I work in a retail establishment that takes SNAP (EBT or food stamps, if you don't recognize that term). The amount of actual food we carry is small, since we are a pharmacy, otherwise known as a drugstore.

For the past couple of months, we have had a family that comes in, usually about 1/2 hour before closing, and buys the most expensive food items we have, always paying by SNAP. Then the next day (again shortly before closing), they return it without a receipt. Company policy is that if you return something without a receipt, you get a shopping card/gift card (whatever your store calls it) that can only be used to purchase items in our store.

Those of us who work the registers KNOW what this family is doing ... they are returning items that were bought with SNAP, without a receipt so that they can then buy the items they really wanted which, of course, are NOT food. This has been brought to the attention of all of the assistant managers and they have refused to do anything about it.

Well on Friday, they came in during the day (wonder of wonders!), which means they came in while the store/district manager was in the store. Head guy of the family stops me and tells me he is going to return some candy but he doesn't have the receipt and what would I do for him? I give him the standard line that he will get a shopping card. He says "OK I'll be back tomorrow". The entire family then proceeds to wander around the store picking out what they will get tomorrow with their shopping card (lounge chairs, "cute" shiny hair accessories, etc.) I tell the store/district manager and that this has been going on for months, he says "they are cheating the system"!.

Saturday, they come in with the candy, which by the way was the most expensive boxes we sell, and proceed to try to get a refund/shopping card. Store/district manager goes to their aid. "Sir, we have it on video that you purchased this candy using a SNAP card. Any refund we give you will be put back on the SNAP card."

:::::Cue deer in headlights look::::: "But we don't need this candy! We NEED these lounge chairs/cute shiny hair accessories!" "We don't have ANYYYYYYYYYYYYY income!!!!!!!!!!!!" (I call bull**** on this, they obviously have enough money to buy gas to come here all the time - we don't have public transportation in this town)

Manager: "I understand that sir and I sympathize, really I do. But you are using the SNAP system for something for which it was not intended. If you try this again, you WILL be reported to DSS (which oversees the program)."

:::: cue much dancing and high fiving by the cashiers:::::

Oh! Oh! Such sweet PWNAGE! I love it.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Finally! Someone with a spine!

Though what do you want to bet they find another store and try the same thing there?

Comment

The manager should report them to the DSS anyway. if you can not be bothered to use the snap system to buy food then you clearly do not need the assistance.

Comment

Oh SNAP! Someone got their ass handed to them!
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mamochan View Post
            The manager should report them to the DSS anyway. if you can not be bothered to use the snap system to buy food then you clearly do not need the assistance.
            This.

It's people like this who ruin the system for people who are really in need.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Not to mention, this is arguably fraud. SNAP users are only allowed to buy food for a reason. DSS would be perfectly justified under most states' laws in demanding they pay back every cent they have gamed the system for before they receive another penny in benefits.

Comment

People like that make me so angry. It's stuff like that that gets me yelled at when I buy a snack at the drugstore for my kid on food stamps.

Actual occurrence: I had walked over a mile in the July heat to mail off some of my wife's jewelry that we had sold online to pay the rent. Walked because we didn't have enough money for gas for the car to go two miles. I stopped at the drugstore to buy some snacks for my toddler, because he's hot and tired and hungry, and got told off by the woman behind me in line about how there was a grocery store just half a way that way and why was I so lazy as to waste the money I was given for free???

When people actually manipulate the system out of laziness or greed, it makes the woman who yelled at me not right, but definitely less wrong.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                  This has been brought to the attention of all of the assistant managers and they have refused to do anything about it.
                  Can you tell us if the assistant manager was ever brought up on disciplinary charges for refusing to report what was happening? I'd ream the guy or girl out for sure for that
                  Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

lol. Excellent. I love it.

Comment

Quoth nuthing12 View Post
                      Can you tell us if the assistant manager was ever brought up on disciplinary charges for refusing to report what was happening? I'd ream the guy or girl out for sure for that
                      Me too. My assistant managers SO know better. We only take back food w/out a receipt as an even exchange for other food. Only.
                      We have a few scammers that would try it all the time if they could get other stuff. So I don't let them. I'm mean like that.
                      I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

I wondered about that too. Claiming "nothing can be done" just means he/she isn't willing to do anything, and considering this is fraud ...

to the manager who stopped them in their tracks!

Cai, it is indeed people like this who ruin it for everybody. Especially in today's economy, people seem to want to tar everyone with the same brush. I'm sorry you had to listen to that.

Comment

Wicked awesome!!! I don't think they'll do that ever again! That's a cool manager! Compared with the other spineless oafs that let it happen anyway.

Comment

Thank goodness. I really have a problem with people who abuse government assistance so it's nice that someone stops the scammers.

Comment

I wish I could tell you that had happened, but sadly no

However, I will report that store/district manager has become passive/aggressive with this type of "Not my problem" attitude from the assistant manager (there's only one that has this attitude - the others are too new in their positions to be fully competent yet), to the point that they have to specifically tell him if they can't/won't do their jobs, so that they can at least be written up for it.

For example, for the past week, we have been out of receipt tape for the registers. It has to be ordered, and it is ONE specific assistant manager's job to do this type of ordering. He was informed by *us* when we were down to one roll (besides the ones in the registers). Two days later, we are out of tape Of course, that's his day off, so we are scrambling, stealing tape from unused registers (which btw, makes them beep until the tape is replaced). The next day I was off, so don't know what happened or how the cashiers coped, but the next day I'm in at opening. Unused registers are beeping, my register and the two others that are usually used are on pink tape. My direct supervisor asks me about it, I tell her "John" was told FIVE days ago we were out and he didn't order. She goes to store/district manager. He says he was waiting for "John" to do his job and order, but he'll go right now to another store. And he does, and brings us more than double the number of tapes we need to operate for a week! YAY bossman.

Now let's not go to fratching about how store/district manager wasn't up on this situation. He was! He was being passive/aggressive, trying to prod "John" into doing his damn job. Cause, believe me, this isn't the first thing that "John" has ****d up that I know of, and I've only been there 5 months!

Today, store/district manager was in "conference" a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNG time with "John" Stay tuned

Comment

Working...
                              X