Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY bad day (long and some language)

hey everyone! I am a long time reader, but I really don't post my stories that much because there really isn't that much material for me to tell. Thankfully, I work in a retail store where most people are pretty happy and easy going. I guess that goes along with a tourist area for the most part.

Today was not one of those days. Just as a background, I work at a store in an outlet mall here in WI where I sell dress clothes. Now that my background is out of the way here are a couple tales from my hellish day:

For the tales, C means customer, CW means Co-worker and M means me

Doing Nothing

I was measuring a customer from Ireland for a dress shirt, and talking to him a little bit about ireland and why he was visiting WI when a customer walked up to me:

C: Hey! Instead of standing around doing nothing, you could be helping me!
    M: I'm sorry, I am currently helping this customer find a dress shirt in his size let me grab my co-worker and she can answer any questions you might have.
    C: She already tried to help me, she is an idiot who needs to be put down like a sick horse.

At this point my customer says its ok and he will look around while I help the lady.

M: What can I help you find?
    C: I am looking for a swimsuit for my husband.
    M: I'm sorry, but unfortunately we don't sell swimwear we only have dress and semi dress clothes.
    C: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! You are telling me that we are in the waterpark capital of the world and you don't sell swimwear?!
    M: No, we sell suits and dress shirts along with ties and accessories.
    C: No..you are just a lazy sloth like the cow you call a co-worker and you just won't go look in that mysterious stock room of yours to get me what I want!
    M: I'm sorry I can't help you more.

At this point I walked away and helped my nice Irish customer who ended up spending A LOT of money

The Strip Club Employee

We have a local strip club in town, and we have a semi-regular customer who is an employee at this establishment. One of my customers was working with this customer so I didn't have the pleasure of working with him. I did walk by at one point though and he handed me a coupon. Looking at it, I saw it was a coupon for a free drink at the bar. Now being gay, I really have no urge to go look at half naked women dancing around on stage.

M: Thanks man, but its not really my scene give it to someone who will use it.
    C: Not your scene? Does that mean you are some type of fag?
    M: Thats really none of your business, but I personally don't find it appealing.
    C: yeah....your a fag
    M: AND I'm done talking to you.
    CW: As am I...unless you can find another person to help you, you will have to come back another day to make your purchases because neither one of us will.

The customer left. My co-worker was PISSED. I'm not entirely out at work, but my co-workers have suspicions and we have a back and forth game of them asking vague questions prying trying to figure me out to which I answer vague, non gender specific answers. My co-worker, however has a son who is gay, who is also one of the sweetest kids you will ever meet. I went and bought my co-worker a cup of coffee to calm her down.

drop what you're doing

Business slowed down quite a bit so we were working on cleaning up and stocking. I was told by my manager that my co-worker would focus on customers and my job was to go through and power stock as fast as possible before we went home. I am concentrating on sizing and writing down sizes I needed when I heard:

C: HEY YOU! Young man Drop that and get your ass over here and help me!

Looking up I noticed that she was talking to me. Now a note, the customer that yelled at me is wearing a body suit made out of sweatshirt material, grey material that was probably 2 sizes too small. When I say it was a body suit, it looked like a body suit you would wear scuba diving only made out of sweatshirt material and 2 sizes too small. Also, I don't know where the young man comment came from because I think we were about the same age. so here continues our story:

M: What can I help you with?
    C: (while holding the price tag in her hand) How much is this?!
    M: Its 60% off the ticketed price, there is a grid right next to the sign saying how much it is. Just find your ticket price and go all the way over to the right and thats how much you pay.
    C: I can figure out how much it costs after the discount . What I DON'T know is how much it is originally. I can't find a price tag.
    M: It's in your hand.
    C: Don't you know anything?! This is a BARCODE its what the cashier scans so he knows what I'm buying.
    M: Well considering we are all cashiers here I know what the barcode is. The price is under the barcode.
    C: Oh..Well you could have just told me it was on the tag in the first place!

My co-worker went and bought me coffee this time.
    "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Quoth king4aday View Post
    C: She already tried to help me, she is an idiot who needs to be put down like a sick horse.
    Ohh, that's cute, way to endear yourself to the employees, Bitchcakes!
    At this point my customer says its ok and he will look around while I help the lady.
    But since your coworker didn't need help, you had to help Bitchcakes instead.
    C: I am looking for a swimsuit for my husband.
    M: I'm sorry, but unfortunately we don't sell swimwear we only have dress and semi dress clothes.
    C: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! You are telling me that we are in the waterpark capital of the world and you don't sell swimwear?!
    M: No, we sell suits and dress shirts along with ties and accessories.
    C: No..you are just a lazy sloth like the cow you call a co-worker and you just won't go look in that mysterious stock room of yours to get me what I want!
    Every rack in view has nothing but dress clothes, and she's expecting swimsuits?!
    C: Not your scene? Does that mean you are some type of fag?
    M: Thats really none of your business, but I personally don't find it appealing.
    C: yeah....your a fag
    M: AND I'm done talking to you.
    CW: As am I...unless you can find another person to help you, you will have to come back another day to make your purchases because neither one of us will.
    Kudos to your coworker for sticking up for you!

And the guy should realize, not all straight men dig strip clubs, either.
    C: HEY YOU! Young man Drop that and get your ass over here and help me!
    Someone needs some manners into her.
    C: (while holding the price tag in her hand) How much is this?!
    M: Its 60% off the ticketed price, there is a grid right next to the sign saying how much it is. Just find your ticket price and go all the way over to the right and thats how much you pay.
    C: I can figure out how much it costs after the discount . What I DON'T know is how much it is originally. I can't find a price tag.
    M: It's in your hand.
    C: Don't you know anything?! This is a BARCODE its what the cashier scans so he knows what I'm buying.
    M: Well considering we are all cashiers here I know what the barcode is. The price is under the barcode.
    C: Oh..Well you could have just told me it was on the tag in the first place!
    "That's why it's called a price tag, dear, because the PRICE is on the TAG!"

Extreme tunnel vision seems to be a common malady amongst SCs.

You and your coworker deserve a good I'm glad you stick up for each other; having someone in your corner does help.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

point though and he handed me a coupon. Looking at it, I saw it was a coupon for a free drink at the bar.

M: Thanks man, but its not really my scene give it to someone who will use it.
      C: Not your scene? Does that mean you are ...

(a) some type of fag?
      (b) of a religious belief that doesn't condone that activity?

(c) not a drinker of bar beverages?

(d) married, and your wife would kill you if you went there?

(e) not married, and your girlfriend would kill you if you went there?

(f) partial to strip clubs where the dancers are completely naked?
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

(x) Straight, divorced, not dating, and only interested if it's someone I care about in private.

(I was installing cameras at what passes for a strip club in Hatu last week.)
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ma'am, are you telling me you came to the waterpark capital of the world and your husband didn't bring swimwear?

Comment

First of all, welcome. Now, let me respond to your stories, in order.

1) WTF? Just WTF? First of all, did she think treating you that way would get her better service? Second, as someone else pointed out, she should've been able to look around and see dress clothes and figure out that there wouldn't be swimwear there. Oh...right...forgot what site I'm on for a second there. Moving on.

2) I can't fully respond to this, as it would send me into fratching territory, and probably get me a nice infraction of some sort. I'll just say this: I can't stand homophobes. Period. Kudos to your CW for sticking up for you!

3) Has she never heard of manners? Better yet, has she never heard of reading comprehension? Oh...almost forgot where I am again. Dawn SC's anyway! Too bad you couldn't ignore her, or tell her you don't follow the orders of someone who snaps at you like that!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

If I'd been the Irish guy I'd have been pretty pissed...then again, I imagine some people from other parts of the world are afraid (and maybe rightly so) that if they start something they'll get shot at or something Love my country, but yeah...standing up for yourself can be dangerous sometimes.
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I see no reason for the Irish guy to be pissed off, and I think his actions helped put the sucky cow into full perspective. He was in no hurry, he knew what he wanted, and he also knew that the situation would only get worse if SC/EW wasn't seen rightgoddamnnow, so he stepped back & waited, and profited by it.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments. Yesterday was just the day from hell for some reason. My co-workers and I all stick up for each other even the managers (I know..shocker). If we have the time, and we have a difficult customer we try to have at least 2 people helping to get them out of the store as fast as possible. Yesterday happened to be a semi-busy day, and a shipment day so we were all spread out.

I did want to comment on the lady with swimwear though. We have about 20 people every day coming into the store looking for swimwear but they are nice about it and leave when we tell them that we don't carry it. This lady was sucky because she kept going on and on with it. We usually just get some comment from customers about how we are a waterpark resort area and we are dumb for not carrying the swimwear. Customers don't understand that we are a national company with several hundred stores and they cant place an order for swimwear for just 1 store.
                  "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                  X