This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The two stupidest furniture customers EVAR

So I got a three-day weekend that ended Monday. I didn't ask for it, and boy am I paying for it already.

Before the truck came in, I was told I would be responsible for furniture carryouts, since there was only one floor person and she was training somebody who would go to work in one of our small-town stores. In addition to my other duties, such as locating all the Christmas gift wrap in backstock, which turned out to be a big fucking project because there were three or four different SKUs in each box.

I get called to carry out a recliner that had been sitting in backstock with a holding form on it. The customer pulled up in an older Pontiac Bonneville.

Which they had evidently used to take home another furniture item they had purchased over the weekend, so they saw their car wouldn't be big enough to bring the recliner home, but came back with it anyhow.

So I had to take both pieces of the chair out of the box and try to stuff them in the trunk and back seat, so they wouldn't have to go home and get the van. Double . It fit, but I still shouldn't need to be doing this for people.

They leave and I get called for another carryout--a storage cabinet that was also on hold from the weekend. The customer and her mother roll up in a Toyota Avalon. They don't have bungee cords or string so they could fold down the back seats and I could slide the cabinet into the trunk and tie down the trunk lid. Customer decides the best plan of action would be to lower one of the rear windows, and have me set the cabinet on the back seat with part of it sticking out through the open window.

Only one problem: the rear windows don't go down all the way. So I would've had to rest 125 pounds or so on a flimsy rear window. Customer decides this isn't a good idea, so she'll go home and get her truck.

I load up the cabinet again and leave it at the service desk to await their return. I get back to the backroom and start working on the gift wrap again when I get paged again.

"The customer with the storage cabinet is back. They want to try loading it in another way."

I come back up front. The customer says "I had a thought. Why don't we put down the front seat, and angle it so it's across the front seat and into the back seat?"

(I think you should stop thinking.)....okay, let's try it.

Of course, the cabinet turns out to be too long to fit in the car this way, so they finally leave to get their truck.

BONUS:

Due to my three-day weekend, I wasn't in Monday to count furniture and pull tags. Which really should've been done, with last weekend being the first weekend of Lowest Prices of the Season and all. So I didn't find out there were at least three furniture items not in backstock but still located until somebody else did and gave me grief over it.

We have a dining bench on sale this week. Apparently over the weekend somebody had a defective bench and the two we had left to sell had to have parts taken out of them or something. The person doing this did not delete the benches from backstock, or take the pull tags out of the display to show we had no more to sell.

So along comes Suzy Shopper (Not her real name.)(As far as I know.) in the furniture department and she sees this bench. Wowza! What a deal! She takes a pull tag to the cashier, who calls me to do the carryout...

...and I find we have no more of the bench to sell, because we had to defect two of them out, even though they are still located and we have tags out on the floor. So I have to tell Suzy she can't haz that bench she just paid for, and she has to get her money refunded and we have to call other stores to find the bench for her.

I told new manager either we need to get somebody else to count furniture if I'm not going to be working a Monday, or I'm not going to want to do it any more. Nobody notices me unless something's wrong.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

1) Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Someone should inform these customers of that.
    2) I'm shocked they didn't ask you to tie the cabinet to the roof of their car! Oh, wait, I shouldn't give them any ideas, should I?
    3) Really? I hate lazy CW's! It should be pointed out to whoever didn't do the job exactly what happened and why....not that it would probably do much good, but hey, you never know, right?

PS: I thought of you when I walked by the front of a store and saw someone doing a furniture carryout the other day. Is it some sort of bad sign that certain things remind me of people on here like that?
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

They own a large vehicle ideally suited for furniture hauling, yet they bring the smaller car to the store.

Genius.

I fear not for my job security if these fine souls represent my "competition." (Although I certainly do weep for society as a whole.)

Comment

Wow. I hate the people who try to cram stuff into small cars, but to do it when you know you have a more suitable vehicle available? Stupid, really stupid.

Comment

And really typical.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
            They own a large vehicle ideally suited for furniture hauling, yet they bring the smaller car to the store.

Genius.

I fear not for my job security if these fine souls represent my "competition." (Although I certainly do weep for society as a whole.)
            My thoughts exactly. I mean, what the hell is the logic behind this? "That piece of furniture will look prettier sticking out of my tiny inadequate vehicle than it will in the back of the van" ? Or maybe "If I drive the truck I'll use up the gas in it and I'll have to fill it up again! Oh noes!!!"
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              If I drive the truck I'll use up the gas in it and I'll have to fill it up again! Oh noes!!!
              We had a lady use a similar excuse for bringing her MINI cooper instead of her F150 to come pick up a bedroom set this weekend. She thought it would be okay AND save gas since she had that larger MINI (the clubman?)
              Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Clubman is the estate (wagon), C**ntryman (asterisked to indicate the kind of person that buys them) is the 5-door SUV-style steroid-inflicted version. Neither is big enough for a bathroom set.

There should be a rule where if they come in something inappropriate, they have to pay storage until they come back in something more suitable - it'd either cut down on the idiots, or earn you a few extra bucks!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

When I worked at Lowes what seems like a lifetime ago, I can't tell you the number of people who liked trying to buy the huge stainless steel grills and fitting them into their Overpriced Toyotas (Lexus, anyone?).

Seriously, it was insane. Of course, they would never accept the fact that there was no way in hell the boxed grill would fit in, let alone the fully assembled model that they really wanted.

Then again... Was always amusing to step back and say they were welcome to continue to try and watch as they shove it forward, tear a huge gash in their nice leather seats, and get it wedged in the door frame. Those were the times I was always glad we typically had two people working at once for witnesses.

Comment

Quoth Grape The Cat View Post
                    Wow. I hate the people who try to cram stuff into small cars, but to do it when you know you have a more suitable vehicle available? Stupid, really stupid.
                    I run into the same kind of crap almost every time I do a carryout at my day job....
                    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth Grape The Cat View Post
                      I'm waiting for one of these brainiacs to buy a sofa bed or some other humongus piece of furniture, then when the employee takes it out to load it, it turns out the customer rode their bicycle to the store!!!

You know it will happen, it's only a matter of time.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        I'm waiting for one of these brainiacs to buy a sofa bed or some other humongus piece of furniture, then when the employee takes it out to load it, it turns out the customer rode their bicycle to the store!!!

You know it will happen, it's only a matter of time.
                        It has happened.

Who needs a truck part 14.

Who needs a truck part 18.

Who needs a truck part 20.

Who needs a truck part 36.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

So glad High End Home Store ships almost everything these days...the only items you can get at the store are things like towels, faucets and drawer pulls.
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                            2) I'm shocked they didn't ask you to tie the cabinet to the roof of their car! Oh, wait, I shouldn't give them any ideas, should I?
                            Tie it with what? If they had something, poor Irv could have dropped their back seat, stuck it out the back and tied it and the boot lid down....
                            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                            X