This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patience, MF'er, do you have it?!

I really hope we get this ... "lady's" issue resolved. If only so I don't have to take another call from her ever again.

Dramatis Personae
    J2K - Jay 2K Winger - Yours Truly
    FW - Fellow Whovian - My coworker
    LMI - Little Miss Impatient - The Sucktomer
    STG - Server Team Guy

So LMI called on Monday (or maybe even early Tuesday) because her profile was having problems on our network. This was affecting her to the point where she was unable to log in to any workstation on the network. Usually this can be fixed by a profile reset, so it went to her close support team.

Tuesday. Now it starts getting crazy. Her close support attempts to reset her profile, but this doesn't fix her problem. It eventually gets kicked over to the server team, since her profile and whatnot needs to get moved to a different server to resolve her login issues. This is my understanding of what needs to be done.

Now, I didn't find out all of those specifics about what the server team is trying to do until today, Wednesday. My first encounter with this ticket was on Tuesday evening, when I got a call from LMI's supervisor. He asks for a status update on her ticket.

So I pull up the ticket and take a look at the worklog, and oh. my. god.

A little background-- when someone calls for a status check on a ticket, we are to put a note in the worklog of the ticket noting this. We also are to put in a trouble ticket for the status check, which we then close as canceled, so there's a paper trail, of sorts.

LMI's ticket already had at least seven calls for status updates on the ticket. Now, I can understand one or two in a day, but for that number of calls, she had clearly been calling at least once an hour all day. Which is excessive, I don't care how urgent your issue is.

I informed LMI's supervisor on its status and that I had noted the call in the log, "and that should bump it in their queue." (That's a standard line I give everyone who calls for a status check. I honestly don't know if it's true, but it satisfies them.)

Wednesday morning, about 11:45am. Guess who I get a call from? Three guesses, but the first two don't count.

By now, LMI's ticket had been sent to the server team. Someone there had picked up the ticket, but a look at the worklog revealed no new information.

A paraphrase of what happened next:

J2K: "Okay, ma'am, they haven't noted down any of their work in the log yet--"
    LMI: (sighs) "So they haven't done anything yet."
    J2K: "I didn't say that, ma'am. They are working on it, they just haven't reported anything in the log yet."
    LMI: "Right, which means that they're doing nothing, and I'm left sitting here doing nothing, after all day yesterday, when I couldn't do anything."
    J2K: "...I'm sending an email to the person working on your ticket, to try to get him to expedite your ticket."

And after I did that, we had this lovely exchange:

J2K: "Okay, so I've sent him that email, and that should--"
    LMI: "But you don't know that he's even in or online, how do I know he'll respond right away to my ticket?"

I wish I could easily put into words the tone that she was using. It was in flat tones, the kind that tells you the person is angry but holding it in, while also conveying the idea that 'I can keep you on the line with me as long as it takes to get what I want.' In short, I knew that nothing was going to satisfy this woman until I had something positive to tell her.

J2K: "Let me see if I can get him on the IM, ma'am."

So I find STG on The Client IM system. We have a short exchange, in which I ask him if there's anything to report on LMI's ticket, adding that I have her on the line.

STG: "We're working on it now. We'll contact her."
    J2K: (after relaying this to LMI) "She wants to know an ETA. Also, is there a POC for more direct status updates?"
    STG: "About an hour. We'll contact her."

I relay this to LMI and she finally hangs up, satisfied for the moment.

Two hours later. Guess who's back?

I get STG back on the IM.

J2K: "She called back. Anything new to report?"
    STG: "Have her call me at <phone>."
    J2K: (Thank you, god!)

I pass this information along to LMI, who leaves, and I foolishly think this will be all.

Oho, I was wrong.

About four hours later, guess who?

So I check the worklog again, and find that while STG had changed the server her profile was on, it had borked her ability to access her mail and messed up a couple of other things. The other things we at ITSD could have helped with, but only if she had mail access. So she needed her mail password reset, and that goes to her account problems team.

Problem is, it was now about 5:30pm. Everyone in her account problems team had gone home for the day. Worse, LMI was aware of this.

LMI: "But there's nobody there about this time of day, isn't that so?"
    J2K: "Unfortunately, that's true."
    LMI: (sighs) "So, once again, an entire day wasted, and I'm going to call back tomorrow and we're going to do this again, calling and calling until I get this resolved."
    J2K: "I'm sorry, ma'am, I wish there was more we could do."

She hangs up, and then I found out just how impatient this bitch was.

See, when she called me up, FW had put her caller on hold and gone to speak with the senior service managers. I was finished with LMI when FW came back, to find that her caller had hung up. She griped about this.

FW: "I told her to wait, and she hung up!"
    J2K: "No patience today."

I started telling her about LMI, and she stopped me, asking if LMI was <name>. Yes, it was.

LMI had called and gotten FW, who was familiar with her-- having taken her share of calls from her-- and had spoken with the s.s.m.s to try to get a higher-up who has access to reset LMI's mail password for her. She had succeeded and was coming back to give her the good news, only to find out that LMI had hung up and called back again to get me.

And because I didn't know that FW had literally just been speaking with her, I had no way to know that FW was doing everything in her power to get this done tonight instead of tomorrow. And when FW tried to call LMI back, LMI didn't answer, probably because she'd gone home.

So we have to deal with her again tomorrow. FW did manage to get in touch with the manager (or whomever) who could reset LMI's password, who also couldn't reach LMI. Said manager offered to mail the temporary password to FW to pass to LMI, to which FW said "I won't be here tomorrow!" (FW doesn't work Thursdays.)

So, yeah. Because LMI was too impatient to wait for FW to get back with good news, she's unnecessarily extended the amount of downtime she'll be experiencing, and someone tomorrow morning is going to have to deal with LMI, and I hope to god it's not me.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

In my organization, that kind of harassing the IT folks gets you disciplined.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Where the hell do people like this get the idea that their problems will be solved faster if they keep calling you every. freakin'. hour??
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sounds like a terrible time, sorry

By the way, nice Pulp Fiction reference!
        If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Jay...

PLEASE tell me you - or someone - is compiling all this correspondence and sending it to her supervisor? She could have been served already, wasted many valuable IT work hours with her bull and is causing undue stress on the entire department. I think she needs an involuntary vacation... and set at the bottom of every queue imaginable.

Comment

I don't know about any disciplinary action that may or may not be taken on LMI.

I just got my first LMI-related call of the day. Sadly(?), our trouble ticket system is currently down on a completely unrelated issue (though part of me WOULD like to put the blame on the number of status update tickets we've put in for her), so when I got LMI's close support person calling for an update on the ticket...

CST: "I'm calling about a ticket put in for one of our users, a <LMI's name>...?"
            J2K: (sigh) "Oh, yes, <LMI's name>..."
            CST: "Ah, you've--"
            J2K: "Yesterday I took several, several calls from her."
            CST: "Yes, we heard yesterday that someone was working on her problem--"
            J2K: "Yes. They got her profile fixed so she can log into the system, but they needed to reset her mail password so she can get into her mail and get some other fallout taken care of. Unfortunately, <trouble ticket system> is down, so I am unable to check the status of her ticket at this time."
            CST: "Okay. So we'll just wait to hear back, then?"
            J2K: "Afraid so. I'd like to get this resolved as much as you do, but until the system's working again, we're stuck."
            CST: "All right, thanks."

So, while the end may be (hopefully!) in sight, we (by which I mean the IT community at The Client in general) are still going to have to deal with at least one more call from LMI today.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Oh for the days when the BOFH ruled!
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I checked her listings in the trouble ticket system when I had the chance. All of those status check tickets aren't listed anymore, though all of the notes in the log of her actual ticket are still there. She is finally back online and in her mail, so hopefully this is the last time I'll have to deal with her for a while.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Where the hell do people like this get the idea that their problems will be solved faster if they keep calling you every. freakin'. hour??
                  If only their trouble ticket was reset to the end of the line everytime they called, just like the phone queue works.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've had quite a few people who have called more than one of us at the same time or have called just about everybody in the place at different times during the day...sometimes I'll overhear a coworker's conversation and IMMEDIATELY know who they are talking to.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I have a co-irker that does this. >_<

She'll call me and ask something generally inane, which I answer. Then she'll call one of the other people near me (different job function) and ask the same, exact question. The worst part is she'll call them more than once about it, and sometimes come over to ask the same thing.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        In my organization, that kind of harassing the IT folks gets you disciplined.
                        i hope the discipline includes loss of computer privileges for a week.

Comment

Working...
                        X