This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I know, you're a special snowflake too. *sigh*

I'm not angry at this one, just kind of resigned.

Got a customer about two weeks ago who put down the minimum down payment on a pretty big costume project. And they were talking about maybe expanding it to be even bigger, going for all the bells and whistles. We're talking a couple thousand bucks of costume work here.

A couple of days ago they sent me an e-mail saying that something had come up (they'd been in a car wreck, I think it was) and they couldn't spare the money anymore, and could I take the down payment and just use that to make them something really cheap?

I said sure, that's fine. Given my 6 month or so wait list I certainly hadn't started any work, so changing projects was no trouble at all. I said I could also just hold the down payment until they were better off financially, and go ahead with the original project then.

Today they e-mailed me back saying they're sorry, but can they get a refund? They really need the money and can't afford anything anymore. They promise they'll come back and give me the money again later, they still want everything, but they can't afford it right now.

*sigh* My TOS says pretty clearly that your initial down payment is non-refundable. And I know how the promise to come back when you have money goes, most of the time it goes nowhere. Not that the customer is lying, I'm sure they're very sincere. But so many of my customers seem to live constantly on the edge of overdraft, and every time they say they're getting paid next week and the money will come then, by the time next week comes it's already spent. And frankly that is what bugs me about all this.

Look, okay, I know I make nice, shiny, pretty things and you want those things. I know how this goes! There are artists out there who make shiny, pretty things that I want, so I know how you feel. But if you're living so close to the edge of your means that a car wreck (and yes, I know they can be very expensive, but still) will make you completely desperate spending more than a thousand bucks on a costume is a bad idea.

I don't go out of my way to talk people out of buying from me, of course, but it honestly kind of appalls me how many of them appear to be spending every last penny they have on this stuff. Shouldn't you have a little set aside for a rainy day before you buy silly, frivolous stuff like expensive costumes?

In the end I decided to offer this person a compromise, and refunded them half. That way I've at least been paid for my time dealing with them, even if they fall off the map and never come back with the promised payments. I do know how much it sucks to be living right on the edge of poverty, but when I was in that situation I wasn't spending hundreds and hundreds on luxuries! (Only a hundred every now and then. )
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

You'd be surprised what people will spend their money on. I studied a bit into the issue of poverty, and people who were born and raised in poverty tend to believe that money is a thing to be spent, not saved. They will spend whatever they have on frivolous things - mostly entertainment - and therefore it's hard for them to get out of their financial situation.

I heard a story about how a school donated a new refrigerator to a family that couldn't afford one. What did the family do? Sold the fridge and bought a new tv.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
      Look, okay, I know I make nice, shiny, pretty things and you want those things. I know how this goes! There are artists out there who make shiny, pretty things that I want, so I know how you feel. But if you're living so close to the edge of your means that a car wreck (and yes, I know they can be very expensive, but still) will make you completely desperate spending more than a thousand bucks on a costume is a bad idea.

I don't go out of my way to talk people out of buying from me, of course, but it honestly kind of appalls me how many of them appear to be spending every last penny they have on this stuff. Shouldn't you have a little set aside for a rainy day before you buy silly, frivolous stuff like expensive costumes?
      ITA. The last few years I've been so broke the church mice took up a collection for me! But seriously, I'd love a house, a wide screen TV, a trip to Disneyland, LASIK, beautiful clothes, nice jewelry and a lot of things I see on SCA-type websites. I don't have them, of course, because I can't afford them and darn well know it! I'd rather spend the money on things I need: rent, groceries, car repairs and the occasional (hopefully) doctor visit.

But even several years into the Great Recession, far too many people are trapped in the "spend, spend, spend, keep up with the Joneses" lifestyle. That's just not healthy, or wise. You really don't want to be in the position where one small problem could bankrupt you.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It never fails to surprise me how many people you see who're obviously on a very tight budget, buying the cheapest canned foods in the supermarket & then going to the smokes counter & tripling their spend!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I read an article a few months back, where a family did an experiment where for one month they only bought what they actually needed.

They whinged a bit afterwards about how 'boring' it had been - no eating out, no glossy magazines, no visits to the nail salon or pub - but had to admit they were astonished at how much more money they had left at the end of the month.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I've done the "needs only" thing (mostly during college) and I hate it. :P I really like my little luxuries! So I certainly don't blame anybody for wanting nice things, or even buying nice things! If I really hated the idea of luxury I'd hardly be making a living in it. Just for frick's sake, why can't people be reasonable?! I'd get jerked around by people who make promises they can't keep much less often! Though I suppose I'd end up with "orphan" deposits I never did do any work for and just kept for nothing less often too...

(That one also baffles me! I will always offer several downgrade options when somebody says they can no longer pay for the rest of it. But at least half the time they never reply at all. I usually send out a couple of reminders, that I have their money and would they like to get something for it? But if they never reply, eventually I just take them off the list, shrug, and keep it. I'm not going to complain, but it's pretty darn weird!)
            The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Through my poorest years [ok, 2 years ... ] I always budgeted $5 a month for something stupid, back then it was usually a breakfast at one of the diners on Little Creek in Norfolk. They had an amazing corned beef hash and eggs. The ability to go out for breakfast once a month with friends was worth it.

Of course, picking a reasonably cheap hobby helped - AD&D at Campaign HQ was free ... I already had the books, or could borrow from one of the guys
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I go out to eat, and that's it. The rest of it, I've had to learn to give up.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Where I work, emergencies that prompt people to pull out are infrequent, but accepted. I've seen calling in paramedics and having to transfer a ticket because someone's daughter has gone into labour but she's got 11-year-olds at a 12A.

However, this isn't something that you can just pull out of, you're spending an artist's time and if you pull out mid-project, materials.

When I was attending uni, I made budgeting and targets before buying myself a treat, to be honest, I didn't spend much on myself in one go.

Comment

What's a 12A?
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Film rating, no one under 12 can attend without an adult.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                        In the end I decided to offer this person a compromise, and refunded them half. That way I've at least been paid for my time dealing with them, even if they fall off the map and never come back with the promised payments. I do know how much it sucks to be living right on the edge of poverty, but when I was in that situation I wasn't spending hundreds and hundreds on luxuries! (Only a hundred every now and then. )
                        That was pretty generous of you IMHO. The whole point of a deposit is to protect the creator from having time, effort, and materials wasted. Non-refundable deposits are a common practice.

I can't see spending 2 grand on a furry costume . . . but then again, I once spent $700 on a sword (a real one, not a blunt decorative piece). I spent too much on it, while I still have it there are times I wish I hadn't spent so much on something that in truth does little more than collect dust.

We all set priorities in life. A lot of consumers would have put their money into the luxury and said the hell with the medical bills.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Emerald Knight View Post
                          Film rating, no one under 12 can attend without an adult.
                          If memory serves, it's a film rating that allows adults to take children under the age of twelve in, but no lower than eight with the adult present.

About the only restriction on it that I'm aware of. Bit of an odd system, really. LOTR was 12A if memory serves. They classified it as 'fantasy violence' to get it through.

Rapscallion

Comment

Rapscallion: Do you mean no more than eight children per person attending? I'll have to double check that, I haven't heard anything about that, but the only situation that breaks something like that is a school booking, which are infrequent, usually an end of year treat since our chain does discounts for larger bookings. Parties do come in on weekends, but usually to the cheap morning screenings that most cinemas seem to offer.

Comment

Quoth Emerald Knight View Post
                              Rapscallion: Do you mean no more than eight children per person attending?
                              I read it as the child cannot be younger than 8 to see a 12A movie with an adult. Children under 8 cannot see the movie at all.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X