Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a conspiracy! You're all after my information!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a conspiracy! You're all after my information!

Conspiracy theorists at the petrol station? Well, I had a customer yesterday who seems to qualify. I innocently asked her if she had a store card when she paid for her petrol; this was her reply:

"I'm sorry but I refuse on principle to give out any personal information to greedy corporations. I have come here solely to pay for my petrol and would appreciate if you could just let me do this."

I just had a total wtf moment. Just how is asking her if she had a store card asking for personal information? It's something that we are told to ask all customers; if you don't have one all you have to do is say "No" and I will not press the issue. Good thing I didn't mention the cameras we have that take down registration numbers of vehicles; she might have spontaniously combusted.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

It is not the asking for the store card, but the store card itself.

Although, I have to wonder how much personal information you could find on her Facebook page.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The store card isn't compulsory; we don't have to ask people if they want one unless they express an interest in having one. Really, all she had to do was say that she didn't have one, end of discussion.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Probably a nut job, but I can certainly understand if she had just been shopping. Seems every place you go to is trying to peddle thier credit cards on people.

Have a few of those point cards myself, have no credit cards.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          *snip*

Although, I have to wonder how much personal information you could find on her Facebook page.
          Bingo. In fact (or is this a conspiracy theory too ...) I'm guessing if she's done anything online some "greedy corporation" somewhere already has a ton of info about her.

But yeah, don't tell her that.

Comment

You don't even have to be online for your info to be there.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Typical SC, instead of saying "no" and moving on they had to be a total jerk about it because they have decided they are special.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                Typical SC, instead of saying "no" and moving on they had to be a total jerk about it because they have decided they are special.
                Yep, I get annoyed by constantly being asked about wanting a store card, or extra warranty, or special of the day etc. too - but I figure no cashier is going to ask about any of those unless management makes them, and they need their job as much as I need mine, so they have to ask. So I figure a polite "no thank you" is all I need to say.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

^Exactly. I don't like when I'm asked about things of that nature, but I'm not going to go off on the cashier just because of it. If I want it and am asked, I'll get the card or whatever the deal of the day is.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

But Lace didn't ask if she wanted one, just if she had one.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    Just how is asking her if she had a store card asking for personal information? It's something that we are told to ask all customers; if you don't have one all you have to do is say "No" and I will not press the issue.
                    Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    The store card isn't compulsory; we don't have to ask people if they want one unless they express an interest in having one. Really, all she had to do was say that she didn't have one, end of discussion.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      Yep, I get annoyed by constantly being asked about wanting a store card, or extra warranty, or special of the day etc. too - but I figure no cashier is going to ask about any of those unless management makes them, and they need their job as much as I need mine, so they have to ask. So I figure a polite "no thank you" is all I need to say.
                      QFT (bolding my emphasis). Believe me, if I didn't have to ask the customer if they were getting our mailers, I wouldn't. I don't like being yelled at because:
                      1. it's a conspiracy to get their information, or
                      2. the customer never gets the mailer, or
                      3. the customer is sick of signing up only to get dropped a few months later if they don't bring the coupons into the store

or any other thing the customer comes up with. But we're always getting secret shoppers, so we have to ask everyone if they're getting our mailer because heaven forbid we forget to push the bloody thing.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        But Lace didn't ask if she wanted one, just if she had one.
                        This. It's part of what we're told to say to customers; including a greeting, please and thankyou and also goodbye.

I have to wonder if this SC trots out her little speech every time someone asks her a question like that... O.o
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                        X