This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card, please?

[explanation of lie-berry card policy & history thereof included at bottom of post for the curious]

----------

Why, oh, why do you think you can come in here without your library card or some other identifying card? I need a driver's license, a state ID, a passport, a military ID!

I don't know you from Adam, dear patron, and will not look you up. I'm not saying that you could be a scammer or someone's ex or someone's bitchy neighbor, but the point is that you could be.

You, beautiful and unique snowflake, are not the exception to the rule, particularly when you tell me: "The director said I was an exception!" and just look confused when I ask, "Do you mean MarySue Jones?" *name changed to protect management . . . and me*

And ever-so-helpful, butting-into-conversations-you-aren't-a-part-of bitch whore patron, no, Snowflake cannot use a copy of her registration. That's picture ID.

What was that? They look you up at Big Brary? Sorry, we're not Big Brary and I hate them for them for their "special" rules. (whole 'nother can o' worms . . . I'll post about it sometime, probably.)

Oh, I'm sorry, you drove all the way here and don't have you library card or your Driver's License? Nothing I can do for you, dumbass, lawbreaking forgetful patron.

----------

Policy & Policy History:

When I first started working at Bitty Brary, staff (who'd been there probably since we opened in 1890) still looked people up by name without cards or ID--typically only for people they knew, since they people had been coming in since 1890, too.

Policy changed shortly thereafter, passed down from the Trustees through the Director: for privacy reasons people need to have their library card or a picture ID to look them up. We had staff meetings on this, posted signs and spent the next year or so making exceptions of the "I'll do it this one time but next time you need to have your card or ID" variety.

Crackdown followed. Some staff bitched and moaned, so at a staff meeting it was decided you could look up someone you already know without a card or ID. This was supposed to apply to people you know outside of work, but the old timers all apply it to the old-timer patrons. Whatevs. Some patrons were asshats and most were fine with it. Director also said that if you feel okay with it you could have the person verify ALL the information in their record (address, phone number, birth date). I never do that. I don't feel comfortable and she says that's okay, as long as people are consistent about their handling of it. Which, hello, since everyone is doing it their way, we aren't. But that's a suck for another part of the forum.

Quoth camjuniper View Post
    I don't feel comfortable and she says that's okay, as long as people are consistent about their handling of it. Which, hello, since everyone is doing it their way, we aren't.
    I think in this case it means that each individual is consistent about their own handling of it. In your case, you never look people up. And as long as you don't look some people up and not others, you're being consistent.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

HA !!!! Sounds like OP works for my library.

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
        Oh, I'm sorry, you drove all the way here and don't have you library card or your Driver's License? Nothing I can do for you, dumbass, lawbreaking forgetful patron.
        We usually hear this story from the bartenders on the forum.

Are these patrons "forgetting" their IDs in the hope of checking out age restricted books?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

This is an issue at our library too, and just today we were whining about it. Honestly, where else do people walk in without their card and expect to get service? Especially if we're letting you walk out with our stuff for free!

Wish I had a dollar for every time a phone caller wants to renew their books, and then when I ask for their number, has to root around for it. But I know from this forum that that's not unique to libraries!

Comment

A friend of mine is a librarian - when people pull that "Oh I personally know the director and she said blah blah blah" he will say "You mean Susan?" of course the patron will always follow that lead with something along the lines of "Of COURSE I mean Susan! I just spoke with her yesterday, and she told me that I have carte blanche here because we're such close friends - I've known her since grade school/she's my neighbor/our daughters go to dance shool together! You better do what I tell you to do or I'll be informing Susan about your incompentence!"

To which he always replies, "But our library director is Jane"

The "deer in the headlights look" on an SC never grows old!!
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              We usually hear this story from the bartenders on the forum.

Are these patrons "forgetting" their IDs in the hope of checking out age restricted books?
              IANAL(ibrarian), but AFAIK, it's more a case of proving who you are so they know who to fine if the book doesn't come back. I don't think libraries have age restrictions on their books. At least, not any strict enough to require ID, but I may be wrong......
              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

I know mine doesn't. But in some cases I really wish they would.

At my library anyone over the age of 16 (which coincidentally is driving age) must have a photo ID if they don't have their library card with them. It happens. I've lost mine and found it in a random pants pocket more times than I care to count. But I always have my license so the nice library workers can give me my crack books.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  No, thank goodness. No age restricting here. I mean, we might balk if the three year old toddles over to the desk with some R rated movies and there aren't any parents around, but we don't censor. Anyone complains, we point out that we do have separate children's sections (so kids aren't browsing the adult stuff) and that we encourage parents to be active participants in their children's library experiences. The one or two complaints I've dealt with were from people who didn't even have children. She just didn't like the movie she checked out and watched and wanted to know what would happen if she 'made it disappear.'

They need their card or ID so we know who they are. It used to be 'the good ol' patrons club' where the old staff would look everyone up willy nilly. But now (as of more than five years ago) we're part of a regional network and have people coming from all corners of the state (and some beyond) and we're not just a Bitty Village Library where everyone knows everyone. Some people are still unable to grasp this and throw a little hissy fit. And then use the same system they just disparaged to order half a dozen books & movies through ILL.

Comment

Working...
                  X