This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I *still* hate weddings

This actually happened in August, but for some reason I didn't think about posting it till now. Since I haven't posted for quite a while, let me just remind everyone that I'm a violinist, and a member of a string quartet, playing weddings and whatnot.

Now, any member of our group can book gigs. We all have contacts all over, so whoever gets the call is in charge of organizing the gig. Unless I'm booking it, all I know about the gig is where it is, what time it starts, and what to wear.

So last August, our other violinist booked a wedding that was way, way out in the middle of nowhere. I actually programmed the address into my GPS, and I still drove past the location twice without seeing it, that's how remote it was.

Here's a bit of background that I didn't find out till later. The bride and groom were both horse lovers, and had met while working at a horse farm. So, their brilliant idea was to have the wedding at the horse farm where they met. Sounds romantic, right? Except that I'm not sure they thought it through.

Anyway, the horse farm was fenced off into several small fields. The wedding was set up to take place in one of those fields. They cleared it out pretty well, but did nothing to the fields surrounding it, which were still full of horses. And wherever there are horses, there is.....? You guessed it; horse manure.

So just imagine yourselves in our place. We're sitting there playing for nearly an hour and a half.

Outdoors.

In August.

Wearing tuxedos.

Surrounded by horseshit.

I was going to go into more detail here, but I think the rest of it is pretty easy to imagine.

Oh, did I mention the flies?
    Last edited by freaktard; 10-15-2011, 12:25 AM.
    "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
    "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
    --Dilbert

Thank goodness smells can't be transmitted through the internet.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

o god.

lovely.

Comment

Praise bog it wasn't a pig farm.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Praise bog it wasn't a pig farm.
          Quoted for truth.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Thank goodness smells can't be transmitted through the internet.
            no but I know a similiar smell ALL TOO WELL. the farmers like to "sweeten" their fields a couple of times a year with cow manure mucked from the barns. esp if it was a warm or hot summer day the smell manages to "inflict" itself over a wide area including my side of town. for some reason it mostly did that after dark. not sure why.

no so bad now as I live in the town but the smell still blows into the southern burb here which I encounter when I am delivering. BUT when I lived outside of town surrounded by dairy farms and hay fields we had to close up our windows for a day or so.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Uh-oh ... friend of a friend is planning a Western-themed wedding ... they are going to hold it, of course, in the wide open spaces ... and bride and attendants are going to ride (sidesaddle, which to me is just a really fast road to a broken neck) horsies up to the altar setup ...

Can't remember what time of year this is, but if it's anytime between spring and first frost, I will warn friend to carry a pomander with her.

Comment

Gotta love when people decide to have their weddings in rather inconvenient places. Like my one friend who had an outdoor wedding at a really lovely spot in the forest. Yeah it was a beautiful spot, but it was also brimming with rattlesnakes. And since it took place in the middle of July, a lot of people wore open-toed shoes and sandals. Not a good combo, and despite people seeing several snakes, no one got bitten.

Comment

Many moons ago when I was still DJing,we used to play a club literally next door to a sewage plant,you can imagine how quickly we loaded and unloaded the equipment if the wind was in the wrong direction.
                  "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
                  set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Well, I will say that horse manure is pretty tame compared to pig or cow manure, but then I just might be so used to it that it's got to be BAD for me to take notice...
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I usually have a lot of fun at the county fair, but this year they apparently forgot to bring enough shovels. There were very few parts of the fair remaining that were actually nice to walk around in. Or breathe.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        no so bad now as I live in the town but the smell still blows into the southern burb here which I encounter when I am delivering. BUT when I lived outside of town surrounded by dairy farms and hay fields we had to close up our windows for a day or so.
                        #deep inhale# Ah! Smell that dairy air!

Dairy air. Get it?

{one of my DH's fave jokes, blame him. }
                        Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                        At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
                          #deep inhale# Ah! Smell that dairy air!
                          Smells like ass to me!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I always wondered if the words "Bride" and "Groom" were somehow connected to horses since the word "Bridle" and the word "Groom" are also used in horse lingo as well.
                            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              Well, I will say that horse manure is pretty tame ... but then I just might be so used to it ....
                              Was thinking the same thing myself, but my sympathy went out to freaktard because of the flies. They were awful throughout the Midwest this year, and to have to sit there and be all professional? argh!

Comment

Working...
                              X